What level of protection do you guys wear?

Hal65

In the US there's a saying that sweat wipes off easier than road rash. In Thailand almost nobody follows anything close to that. Helmets that don't fully protect, sandals, shorts etc

What protection do you guys use for riding around town? Riding moderate distances?

I'm thinking I'll get a full face helmet. 

Boots, long sleeves and riding pants are a tougher sell in this climate, I'm mulling it over. If there is snap off clothing that would be perfect.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

What protection do you guys use for riding around town?

on my Honda scooter jeans or pants , never shorts or short sleeve shirt. helmet. running shoes, some times hiking boots. never flip flops. Rarely go faster than 60kph.

on my Kawasaki 650 full gear head to toe. About $1200 worth of gear.

I've been hit by a car just a few days ago, I was driving slowly, around 30km/h with a mopad, light dress and flip-flops, standard Thai helmet, in front of me in this 3 lane road I had the Left lane occupied by parked cars, in the second lane a cistern of water was cleaning the drains and so I moved to the 3rd lane bu I cannot see anything of what was happening in the 1st and 2nd lane behind the cistern, the idiot came out in reverse in the middle of the 3rd lane exactly when I passed by, obviously he hit me (he says I hit him because I should have probabli drive on the opposite side of the road, but anyway I'm fine, little bruises, cracked ribs... Best protection are condoms for him so he cannot procreate another idiot.

22 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

start looking at what some Thais wear. A shirt, a light jacket (not a riding jacket), jeans. Some of this is to stay out of the sun. But many Thai have gone down and the smart ones learn their lesson.

I have ridden up to the Chinese border and the Singapore border on one trip in shorts, sandals etc. Never again, although i had no accidents.

Off road riding a few weeks ago and had a hard landing, the bike and i somersaulted with me landing 10 metres away and in agony! I was wearing clothing with body armour boots and and a good helmet. I am still in a lot of pain now, if i was not wearing that gear i hate to think how badly i would have been injured.
Regarding hot weather, Assero jeans, made in Thailand with full protection are cool to wear. I have a similar jacket too, there is gear out there.

I once went 400m up the road to lock the orchard gate wearing shorts and burnt my leg on the exhaust getting off back in a crowded garage (had visitors). Never again. Long pants, long sleeved jacket, usually socks and lace up sneakers. A helmet for all journeys that I get out of 3rd gear. I have had 3 serious crashes, broken my leg badly but none of the gravel rash, broken teeth, facial scars that the locals get. A little hot but so what! 

When I first read the title I thought the subject was about a different type of activity.  As such, the thought was obviously knee pads could come in useful, depending where the activity was to take place.  Upon reading a couple of comments I realised my mistake and agree with others that riding in the inappropriate gear that many Thais do is actually dangerous due to the problems that can occur when hitting the road or any other object.  When I ride in any country, it is always with helmet with full face visor, long sleeved heavy duty shirt, trousers, shoes/boots, and socks.  Started riding when about 15 years old in England and now 78 and just stopped riding my 'bike.  Left it in Bangkok when I moved away for good and came back to Toronto for obvious reasons.

'nuf sed.

It is hot, but I roll with Gloves, full face helmet, Danner boots with steel toes and heels and soles.     I tried wearing heavy carhaart double knee trousers,   but it was so damned hot.    I also ride wet if I have to go in town.    Stop and go with a wet t shirt. is much cooler.    

On roadtrips me and wife wear textile touring jackets with ce2 back shoulder, elbow pads.   

It is hard to wear  good riding gear here because it is so damned hot.

Its was so hot in April that I rode in Bangkok a couple of times with Shorts, T-shirt, Trainers, Helmet, gloves, full face helmet (modular that I can flip up at the lights). 

However, 99% of the time I wear Rev'it riding jacket too...

about 75% of the time I'll go with full gear including BMW motorrad trousers, or Rev'it trousers and 'city' motorcycle boots. 

I 'try' not to become complacent... but its just too damn hot so I ride a little less than I want to. 

Whenout and about, I always wear jeans, long sleeved shirts, and real shoes (plus I wear a hat when exposed to sun.

When riding around town I add a helmet and gloves.

Here's a wonderful example of "Thai style" riding I captured one afternoon: 

unsafe.jpg

4 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

i think a full face helmet will increase the risk of accident,

its not as good view as a small egg shell,

which is a problem in traffic where your head should svivel

around non stop, and it also increases fatigue due to overheating

Full face increases the risk of an accident??? Thats a new one for me... 

6 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

But, it does help avoid grinding down the nose and chin!

Jeans, t-shirt and proper shoes (no sandals). 

And a half decent helmet if I ride on anything outside "my" Soi.

Apart from that I look where I go and I look into my mirrors. And I don't race.

And until now, about 15 years of motorcycle riding in Bangkok, I didn't have any major accident and no scratch at all.

Would I be better protected with proper gear? Sure.

I would also be better protected if I would wear that gear if I walk or cross the street.

Reality is: It's just too hot here.

28 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

With a good helmet you have 100% view to the sides.

Once in a shop here I bought a half decent full face helmet. I put it on and within a few hundred meters I realized that the view to the side was limited. Too little peripheral view.

I went back to the shop right away and I found a helmet with 100% peripheral view. It was a little cheaper but I didn't argue with them. Keep the money, I want the helmet with the better view.

For the future this is the first thing I will check.

No accidents after 10 years on a scooter in Thailand. Long pants and a full helmet.

I rarely travel above 40 km/hr, 60 km/hr on the highways sticking to the shoulder. Use the mirrors every 20 seconds or so.

The best form of protection is constant threat assessment.

1 hour ago, wotsdermatter said:

When I first read the title I thought the subject was about a different type of activity.  As such, the thought was obviously knee pads could come in useful, depending where the activity was to take place.  Upon reading a couple of comments I realised my mistake and agree with others that riding in the inappropriate gear that many Thais do is actually dangerous due to the problems that can occur when hitting the road or any other object.  When I ride in any country, it is always with helmet with full face visor, long sleeved heavy duty shirt, trousers, shoes/boots, and socks.  Started riding when about 15 years old in England and now 78 and just stopped riding my 'bike.  Left it in Bangkok when I moved away for good and came back to Toronto for obvious reasons.

'nuf sed.

Came back to Toronto for obvious reasons.

What obvious reasons?

You've lost me there.

2 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Sun glasses, shirt, shorts, flip flops and a long motorcycle experience including Thailand's riding awareness. ????

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Jeans, t-shirt and proper shoes (no sandals). 

And a half decent helmet if I ride on anything outside "my" Soi.

Apart from that I look where I go and I look into my mirrors. And I don't race.

And until now, about 15 years of motorcycle riding in Bangkok, I didn't have any major accident and no scratch at all.

Would I be better protected with proper gear? Sure.

I would also be better protected if I would wear that gear if I walk or cross the street.

Reality is: It's just too hot here.

Depends on where you come from. I find the climate her quite pleasant for bike riding. I've spent most of my life in the tropics.

36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

but not me, when as a kid, perhaps 11, i was riding with full visor, i was hunking down and saw 10 meter ahead of me on the wrong side of the road, the helmet blocked so i couldnt see further.

then i saw a car had stopped, i stopped and the bike died,

i couldnt get it started and waved they should turn around me. he didnt, so i had to pull it out of his way.

the embarrassment caused me not only to drive on the right side of the road henceforth, but also steer clear from helmets that could in any way impede my view

This is Thailand!

The roads or so incredibly dangerous, it's amazing.

I won't let my kids anywhere near motorbikes. My wife rides my old scooter to the market (just outside Bangkok).

If I'm riding on small roads or local footpaths, shorts, t-shirt and flipflops. (Aerox scooter 30-80km/h)

If I'm riding in town I wear a proper (Thai decent) crash helmet, but don't go overboard on my limbs or torso. (30-110km/h)

Not wanting to brag or be complacent, but you can never ever trust Somchai and his mates, but the way to stay safe is to read the road. Stay sober and alert and only filter through traffic and overtake when it's right to do so. Some think I'm crazy, but my philosophy is that the faster you go*, the harder you are to hit and the less time you're on the road. I don't go crazy, and nor do I wear 'Western protection.' Using your head, eyes and senses keeps you safe here. Well it has me for 20 years.

*Only go as fast as you're able to control the bike, taking road conditions into account.

ANYthing could happen at any time, but the same can be said for crossing the road.

Some sh*tty riders wear too much gear and care too much. Some better and worse riders do the vest and flip flop thing. IMO, It's about how you ride, and lady luck, and nothing else.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

No accidents after 10 years on a scooter in Thailand. Long pants and a full helmet.

I rarely travel above 40 km/hr, 60 km/hr on the highways sticking to the shoulder. Use the mirrors every 20 seconds or so.

The best form of protection is constant threat assessment.

29yrs without an accident, since I'm legally allowed to drive a motorbike on the road when I turn 14th, just needed a Thai to actually fix my record

Good quality LS2 open face helmet. (Tried a full face but find them too claustrophobic)

T-shirt and shorts. Gloves on longer runs. Sneakers or loafers. (never flip-flops or sandals)

Never jeans and here's why:

http://motorcycle-central.com/wearing-jeans-on-a-motorcycle-is-bad/

Never ride in the narrow suicide lane on the left.

I basically rely on experience, (many years) common sense and awareness.

4 years riding here and no serious incidents or accidents. 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree with brokenbone. A full face is just too hot for riding around town. Also, in Thailand you need eyes in the back of your head. Full face helmets are a bit restrictive.

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

on my Honda scooter jeans or pants , never shorts or short sleeve shirt. helmet. running shoes, some times hiking boots. never flip flops.

On the missus's Wave, into town or down to the village - shorts, loud shirt, flip flops, sunglasses, flat cap if i can get away with it, otherwise my Beenie helmet. Certainly no gloves.

Dead serious, no joke.

And i've been riding motorcycles non stop for the last 42 years.

Getting on my proper motorcycles - different ball game, but i certainly aint no H&S Paranoid Child like some on here.

By the way - whats a full face helmet?

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

With a good helmet you have 100% view to the sides.

Once in a shop here I bought a half decent full face helmet. I put it on and within a few hundred meters I realized that the view to the side was limited. Too little peripheral view.

I went back to the shop right away and I found a helmet with 100% peripheral view. It was a little cheaper but I didn't argue with them. Keep the money, I want the helmet with the better view.

For the future this is the first thing I will check.

I am blind in my left eye, that makes it challenging ????

Archived