BANGKOK
Hal65

What level of protection do you guys wear?

In the US there's a saying that sweat wipes off easier than road rash. In Thailand almost nobody follows anything close to that. Helmets that don't fully protect, sandals, shorts etc

What protection do you guys use for riding around town? Riding moderate distances?

I'm thinking I'll get a full face helmet. 

Boots, long sleeves and riding pants are a tougher sell in this climate, I'm mulling it over. If there is snap off clothing that would be perfect.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

What protection do you guys use for riding around town?

start looking at what some Thais wear. A shirt, a light jacket (not a riding jacket), jeans. Some of this is to stay out of the sun. But many Thai have gone down and the smart ones learn their lesson.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

I have ridden up to the Chinese border and the Singapore border on one trip in shorts, sandals etc. Never again, although i had no accidents.

Off road riding a few weeks ago and had a hard landing, the bike and i somersaulted with me landing 10 metres away and in agony! I was wearing clothing with body armour boots and and a good helmet. I am still in a lot of pain now, if i was not wearing that gear i hate to think how badly i would have been injured.
Regarding hot weather, Assero jeans, made in Thailand with full protection are cool to wear. I have a similar jacket too, there is gear out there.

• Like 1

I once went 400m up the road to lock the orchard gate wearing shorts and burnt my leg on the exhaust getting off back in a crowded garage (had visitors). Never again. Long pants, long sleeved jacket, usually socks and lace up sneakers. A helmet for all journeys that I get out of 3rd gear. I have had 3 serious crashes, broken my leg badly but none of the gravel rash, broken teeth, facial scars that the locals get. A little hot but so what! 

• Like 1

It is hot, but I roll with Gloves, full face helmet, Danner boots with steel toes and heels and soles.     I tried wearing heavy carhaart double knee trousers,   but it was so damned hot.    I also ride wet if I have to go in town.    Stop and go with a wet t shirt. is much cooler.    

On roadtrips me and wife wear textile touring jackets with ce2 back shoulder, elbow pads.   

It is hard to wear  good riding gear here because it is so damned hot.

Its was so hot in April that I rode in Bangkok a couple of times with Shorts, T-shirt, Trainers, Helmet, gloves, full face helmet (modular that I can flip up at the lights). 

However, 99% of the time I wear Rev'it riding jacket too...

about 75% of the time I'll go with full gear including BMW motorrad trousers, or Rev'it trousers and 'city' motorcycle boots. 

I 'try' not to become complacent... but its just too damn hot so I ride a little less than I want to.