What level of protection do you guys wear?

Hal65

19 hours ago, Lungstib said:

I once went 400m up the road to lock the orchard gate wearing shorts and burnt my leg on the exhaust getting off back in a crowded garage (had visitors). Never again. Long pants, long sleeved jacket, usually socks and lace up sneakers. A helmet for all journeys that I get out of 3rd gear. I have had 3 serious crashes, broken my leg badly but none of the gravel rash, broken teeth, facial scars that the locals get. A little hot but so what! 

Obviously you will not learn. Take your car or being on risk to die if you continue with your scooter 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always wear a full face helmet, even when riding to the chicken shop around the corner on a scooter. Other than that, I dress based on my own perceived chances of a slide depending on the ride type. 

Commuting to work on a scooter: summer gloves, normal clothes
Commuting on my 1000cc: mesh/textile jacket with protectors, kevlar jeans, riding shoes and gloves
Casual trips out of town on the big bike: perforated leather jacket, textile trousers, racing boots, leather gloves
Spirited twisty mountain rides: either full leathers or jacket + textile trousers, racing boots, leather gloves
Track day: always full racing gear 

I always wear a full face helmet, even when riding to the chicken shop around the corner on a scooter. Other than that, I dress based on my own perceived chances of a slide depending on the ride type. 

Commuting to work on a scooter: summer gloves, normal clothes
Commuting on my 1000cc: mesh/textile jacket with protectors, kevlar jeans, riding shoes and gloves
Casual trips out of town on the big bike: perforated leather jacket, textile trousers, racing boots, leather gloves
Spirited twisty mountain rides: either full leathers or jacket + textile trousers, racing boots, leather gloves
Track day: always full racing gear 
Where is all this riding?

We have a small scooter, and whoever is driving and the pillion wear helmets, shirts and jeans. I’ve noticed that the enthusiast big cc bikers have the full monty gear, whilst the oiks that can buy a big bike don’t seem to use much protection at all. 

At a minimum a helmet with sides on it, ie ears and side of face, in an accident it is natural to turn your head etc.

Good gloves as they can land first!   After that it's up to you, anywhere not protected even in a slow accident is gravel rash etc, very very painful!!

I was able to buy Pakistani Riding jeans with kevlar seat, thighs and rigid knees in Oz and they do very well here, steel toed sneakers and a goretex lined jacket, good gloves and full face helmet do it for me...short trips I take the car! 

21 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Whenout and about, I always wear jeans, long sleeved shirts, and real shoes (plus I wear a hat when exposed to sun.

When riding around town I add a helmet and gloves.

Here's a wonderful example of "Thai style" riding I captured one afternoon: 

unsafe.jpg

I saw a better one two weeks ago the passenger had a Honda wave draped across his lap.

I use to ride motorcycles in Thailand.As we get older we don’t heal nearly as good or fast as we did when we were younger.I don’t need to gamble.Now on 

Thailand roads I take a car.If it’s any distance I fly.

On 7/21/2019 at 5:12 PM, thequietman said:

If just popping to the local shop, then picture 1. ????

If out on the main highway with the locals speeding by, then picture 2. ????

bike.jpg

funny_helmet_police_166.jpg

Yep good safety gear those photos.

My old mum always told me when I was a boy, wear clean underpants never know when you might have an accident. Lol

I ride a scooter, mid size bike & big bike & ride too fast most of the time.  Consequently I am a firm believer in ATGATT: All the gear all the time!

I have had to replace one very expensive textile jacket and the one I am presently wearing is somewhat scarred. They give an amazing level of protection. I have been unscathed other than some serious bruising and it doesn't bear thinking about the damage that could have been inflicted upon my aged body without the right gear. 

The only compromises I make if riding my scooter or mid size bike to the corner store is my good quality open face helmet & my armored biker trousers. I replace the helmet with a bicycle helmet which is very light, cool and easy to use and I frequently forget to remove it when I stop for a short time. If they are approved for high speed cycling then I figure they are OK for tootling down to the local dhaba for a packet of cheese and onion chips. I replace the trousers with poly/cotton jeans.

On the subject of jeans I agree with the previous comments about their relative uselessness although anything is better than nothing. I spent many years in the textile business and I know that cotton is used almost exclusively. Even the heavy duty denims from the well known manufacturers will give little protection from anything other than a car park bingle. . 

The best fabric by far other than that used in some of the specially designed and expensive biker pants/jeans is poly cotton (with a good level of polyester of course). Polyester has a very high tensile strength and is many times stronger and more abrasion resistant than cotton. Usually synthetic thread would also be used to enable overall integrity of the fabric.  Unfortunately it is difficult to find jeans or shirts made from this fabric any longer but it's worth looking.

Even some of the cheaper biker trousers are made from cotton (some with a whiff of Kevlar) and even though they have lots of armor the lack of fabric strength impacts greatly on the overall integrity of the garment.

Cheers!

Don't wear flip flops!  So easy to break and mangle toes or just scrape the hell out of them from an otherwise routine minor incident..   A decent brain bucket that will actually stay on your head can be a life saver.  Full helmets probably if you are riding a real bike at speed and on the highway and not just a 30 mph scooter around twon,

I have 2 style riding attire.

Honda Wave:

• Helmet,
  • shirt,
  • jeans  
  • shoes. 

My other bigger motos; 

• Shoei Fully ventilated Race helmet
  • Takachi mesh gloves with carbon fiber inserts at knuckles, palms
  • Full mesh gear from https://www.bohnarmor.com/. Kevlar appointments in the critical areas, back pad and very light to wear. Best stuff and works really well for this climate. Its does  not replace a full leather set for protection, but does offer one a great compromise. 

Regardless I never ever ride anything on 2 wheels without shoes, jeans and helmet minimum. Simply too many things that can go wrong and its not always about another driver.  

For the daily commute or coffeeshop hopping (not great speeds, sabai sabai) I usually wear full face helmet (HJC C17, good balance with a good price), gloves, jeans and sneakers.

For the odd trip, being it an afternoon 70Km ride or a 300Km through-the-mountains ride, I add to that a REV'IT mesh jacket with elbows, shoulders and back armour and a merino Buff to cover neck - and to keep me cool by wetting it in each stop. I'm looking to buy proper riding shoes and Kevlar armoured jeans, for these kind of rides.

If going just to the local market or the local kapraw joint I wear whatever I had in the moment, this includes sandals (no flip-flops) and helmetless some times. I know, I know, shoot me.

Anyway, my danger appreciation is very relaxed after around 25 years riding bicycles both road and MTB protected just with a bike helmet and lycra... [emoji28]

On 7/21/2019 at 8:22 PM, unamazedloso said:

Hate to say it im an idiot 300kph rider and barely have more than a jacket and helmet. Gloves, pants, jackets seem to break repeatedly so rarely do i even have enough protection. On the scooter flipflops and a gstring????????

papa same same

In the US there's a saying that sweat wipes off easier than road rash. In Thailand almost nobody follows anything close to that. Helmets that don't fully protect, sandals, shorts etc

What protection do you guys use for riding around town? Riding moderate distances?

I'm thinking I'll get a full face helmet. 

Boots, long sleeves and riding pants are a tougher sell in this climate, I'm mulling it over. If there is snap off clothing that would be perfect.
I wear full face helmet, the flip up/down type, a very breathable fabric jacket with armour, light hiking boots and usually shorts but have a pair of light cotton pants that breath. I'm comfortable heatwise while moving but uncomfortable when stopped.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Africa Twin. Always padded jeans if local, gloves, MX jersey if super hot with Fox Armour.  Klim Krios Pro helmet.  Occasionally, I've ridden in jean shorts but never without helmet, footwear and gloves.  Always have my Kriega back pack with back protector in whatever I wear.

Long journey then fully kitted up with Rev'it gear.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 9:34 AM, scubascuba3 said:
On 7/22/2019 at 8:46 AM, fxe1200 said:
What is too fast? I always try to keep the traffic behind myself, there it cannot become dangerous for me.

If people are honest with themselves they should know whether they are going too fast.

There are benefits of keeping with traffic rather than clearing it i.e. hidden junctions, local knowledge is important.

If people look around at the riders in Pattaya only 1 in 100 if that are wearing protective clothing and they look completely out of place in this heat

I'd look a lot more out of place with my toes ripped off, missing skin up my leg, missing teeth etc (open face or no helmet) when some muppet pulls out of a side street into me....

Looking out of place is a fools reason for not being safe. 

That said, increasing your risk for comfort while nipping to the shops is just that, increasing your risk.... but you are increasing your risk anyway when going on the bike rather than taking the car, so its all about evaluating risk... which has nothing to do with 'looking out of place'.. 

I most definitely agree with 'keeping within traffic' using other vehicles as a shield etc when passing junctions, or pulling across a junction etc again, it's about minimizing risk. 

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

Big bike i wear complete Dainese jacket, pants with shoulder, albow, hip, knee and spine protection. Mountain hiking boots, but will upgrade next trip abroad to proper bike shoes. 

On scooter, half helmet, only,

BB6DD5FE-0917-4131-A2CC-663E2EA09637.jpeg

Looks like a new bike and good brand new kit...  

But... will you wear it all the time (ATGATT) ?

I find it easy to become a little complacent in Thailand and because of the heat become a little complacent when nipping down the road to the shops etc.

When heading 100m down the road, I still wear a Helmet without fail, also trainers and gloves without fail, but just shorts & T-shirt.

But when its so hot and I consider traveling further (within Bangkok) I've thought about discarding the jacket and just ride in jeans, T-shirt, trainers helmet and gloves.

But earlier this year at times I've just not bothered with the bike because its so hot outside !

Longer rides ATGATT without fail. 

Archived