Surely can't be True

kiwinz

My partner talking to her friend today. She's  married to Aussie 20+ years, but they have never done the Thai wedding. She asked her why not.  Answer was , if she marries here, and takes Farang name, she looses her Thai family name. Therefore she can no longer legally purchase land here. 

I realise TiT, but sounds bit of a stretch to me.  Anyone enlighten me before l put my foot in it too deep.

An' don't call me Surely

Edited by kiwinz

It was probably true when they wanted to get married 20+ years ago. I had same problem. girlfriend 5 months pregnant and we flew to the UK did a registry office wedding and came back. At that time, 1991, we still needed to buy land and build a house which we couldn't do if she was married. But we needed married to get the coming child a nationality which at that time had to be Brit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lungstib said:

It was probably true when they wanted to get married 20+ years ago.

Yes, the law was recinded relatively recently, no idea exactly when mind.

Even now some government officials are quoting the old rules.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

It was probably true when they wanted to get married 20+ years ago. I had same problem. girlfriend 5 months pregnant and we flew to the UK did a registry office wedding and came back. At that time, 1991, we still needed to buy land and build a house which we couldn't do if she was married. But we needed married to get the coming child a nationality which at that time had to be Brit.

You don’t have to be married for your children to be British citizens, not now anyway.

5 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

You don’t have to be married for your children to be British citizens, not now anyway.

not now, no, but 20+ yrs ago was quoted and rules changed around 2006 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kiwinz said:

My partner talking to her friend today. She's  married to Aussie 20+ years, but they have never done the Thai wedding. She asked her why not.  Answer was , if she marries here, and takes Farang name, she looses her Thai family name. Therefore she can no longer legally purchase land here. 

Absolute nonsense.

Yes, agree with you completely . . 'Absolute Nonsense'  but it was just another one of those illogical laws back in the day. Nothing in this wonderful LOS is ever understandable. Hence we have TV.

• Like 1