Exchange Rate !!!!

4 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

You are simply confirming what I said. Deal = more certainty, and no deal = uncertainty (because we only have the EU supporting doom mongers' predictions to go by).

Once (if) we leave without a deal and it is not the catastrophe they are painting, the pound will recover. 

That recovery could have started on March 29th, but it is being prolonged by the remain establishment. 

If you think the 'doom mongers' predictions are wrong, have you a model that illustrates a different outcome that isn't just based on hopes and wishes?

I'd rather have a realistic view than one based on lies. 

The unfortunate thing about Brexiteer leaders is that they simply lie or quote things they know to not be true. Knowing that once it is out there, it will be oft repeated by the ignorant and the extreme. The very epitome of fake news.

To put it bluntly, most of the people I come across who support Brexit, can hardly be described as the most intelligent among us.

So they depend on what their leaders tell them. Unfortunately, a lot of it is just misleading and some of them are of poor character. Boris himself is of poor character. Caught in lies and with his trousers down time after time.

Dominic Rabb who didn't have a clue about U.K trade.

Farage who slags off the E.U. but feeds at the trough all the same.

Rees Mogg who is patently not honest when he quotes models where would be better of economically with Brexit. He is really just preaching to the converted. But spend five minutes looking into the claims and you realise that it is all claptrap.

Press them on the details and you realise there is no substance.

Trade deal doesn't mean it is good for us.

Let's look at the economic models and what is involved in these deals.

It's not just pie in the sky. Economic models are drawn up as to the costs of trading under WTO rules.

So it would be clear if it would be better for us to leave with NO Deal.

It's no good to state that we could be better of in twenty years if we improve the education system and start churning out astronauts.

We need realism, not pie in the sky.

So less of the lies, deceit and hopefulness and more reality.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/21/2019 at 5:58 PM, steven100 said:

If it was me in charge, I would go out and borrow as much as possible at 0.01% … 7,8 or 9 hundred billion dollars

Hope you'd have a better credit record to attain such loans :stoner:

10 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

Because of doveish comments from the ECB, i.e. comments suggesting that further 'monetary easing' measures are likely in the near future.

Mark Carney caused a lot of the drop. He opened his fat Canadian mouth the day after with absolute doom and gloom. Also dropped interest rates!

On 7/21/2019 at 6:27 PM, BritManToo said:

Expensive for what?

A home in the UK would cost me 120% of my pension.

The same home in Thailand costs me 25% of my pension.

And that's without comparing the tax and utilities on the houses.

Nothing else really matters.

Exactly. I bought a lorry load of aggregate recently, around 20 ton for 3200 baht, how much in the UK? Everyone need a roof and when it comes to buildings and materials there is no comparison.

Comparative opinion is always subjective and unless you drink in Wetherspoons and shop on a budget the OP statement " Its more expensive now in Thailand than it is back in the UK !" has no validity.

I was back in the UK two months ago and the average price of ordinary beer was around £3.50 -£4 a pint. Pad Thai in the Sheffield market was £8.50 and fish & chips on the stall next door was £7.50, a B&B in the north of Scotland £82 /night.

I was in China a couple of weeks ago and there some things were a good deal more expensive than Thailand and others a good deal cheaper. It is always swings and roundabouts.

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Exactly. I bought a lorry load of aggregate recently, around 20 ton for 3200 baht, how much in the UK? Everyone need a roof and when it comes to buildings and materials there is no comparison.

On the other hand, looking at a 3 bed house in a town in rural France (liveable but outdated).

13,000Euro (plus 2,000 notary fees) purchase price, and taxes of 150Euro/year.

8 hours ago, JamJar said:

The truth is beginning to emerge, but to what effect is now the question.

“Andrew Percy’s resignation, claiming he was patronised and ignored when he was clearly ‘telling it like it is’, is sadly typical of the arrogance Liam Fox displays to everyone who disagrees with him.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-news-latest-trade-envoy-quit-deal-canada-a9012421.html

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

On the other hand, looking at a 3 bed house in a town in rural France (liveable but outdated).

Very good, if you want to live in France.

The OP however was referring to Thailand.

10 hours ago, JamJar said:

If you think the 'doom mongers' predictions are wrong, have you a model that illustrates a different outcome that isn't just based on hopes and wishes?

The unfortunate thing about Brexiteer leaders is that they simply lie or quote things they know to not be true. Knowing that once it is out there, it will be oft repeated by the ignorant and the extreme. The very epitome of fake news.

To put it bluntly, most of the people I come across who support Brexit, can hardly be described as the most intelligent among us.

So they depend on what their leaders tell them. Unfortunately, a lot of it is just misleading and some of them are of poor character. Boris himself is of poor character. Caught in lies and with his trousers down time after time.

Dominic Rabb who didn't have a clue about U.K trade.

Farage who slags off the E.U. but feeds at the trough all the same.

Rees Mogg who is patently not honest when he quotes models where would be better of economically with Brexit. He is really just preaching to the converted. But spend five minutes looking into the claims and you realise that it is all claptrap.

Press them on the details and you realise there is no substance.

Trade deal doesn't mean it is good for us.

Let's look at the economic models and what is involved in these deals.

It's not just pie in the sky. Economic models are drawn up as to the costs of trading under WTO rules.

So it would be clear if it would be better for us to leave with NO Deal.

It's no good to state that we could be better of in twenty years if we improve the education system and start churning out astronauts.

We need realism, not pie in the sky.

And less, please, of unjustified slurs like yours on the majority of Brits who vote Leave in the EU referendum.

There are plenty of intelligent, as well as not-so-bright, people on both sides of the referendum divide. If you seriously think otherwise you obviously need to get out more.

The arrogant attitude of defeated Remainers generally, reflected by the Remainer-dominated Parliament's attempts to thwart the referendum result, will make re-uniting the country post-Brexit a far harder task than it otherwise would be.

If you are as "intelligent" as you believe, understand this - and cut the elitist cackle.

True, living costs in Thailand are soaring due to domestic inflation and the disparity between the pound and baht. However, anyone who believes that it's now as expensive to live in LOS as in the UK needs to do some homework.

According to a couple of recent surveys, the popular expat city of Pattaya is roughtly a third cheaper than Manchester and only about half as costly as Liverpool. So don't start packing your bags just yet!

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/

On 7/21/2019 at 11:58 AM, sanemax said:

The Pound remained quite stable in the days after Brexit and only began to lose once it became apparent that the Uk Gov had no idea how to proceed and didnt know what to do 

Utter nonsense , it dived immediately after the vote, you may decieve yourself but blatant lies rather give your game away.

14 hours ago, JamJar said:

Nobody has ever left the EU before. There is no way to model all the impacts of this, negative or positive. Anyone who does try to model it has a bias one way or the other. 

The one thing we do know for certain is that if we leave the EU properly, the EU will no longer have any jurisdiction over the UK and we will make our own decisions wrt trade, immigration and all those other things. Remainers cannot seem to understand this is what Brexiteers want more than anything. 

On 7/23/2019 at 11:12 AM, CG1 Blue said:

Nobody has ever left the EU before. There is no way to model all the impacts of this, negative or positive. Anyone who does try to model it has a bias one way or the other. 

The one thing we do know for certain is that if we leave the EU properly, the EU will no longer have any jurisdiction over the UK and we will make our own decisions wrt trade, immigration and all those other things. Remainers cannot seem to understand this is what Brexiteers want more than anything. 

The only thing that will have an impact on economics is trade. Will the UK be able to make better deals with other countries than the EU can ?  For sure not. The UK has no weight/importance.  And a new trade deal with the US will mean eating chlorine chicken.

At the same time trading with the EU (the UK's most important trading partner) will become much more difficult.

You do not need to have a bias to understand that the UK will suffer economically.

On 7/21/2019 at 5:49 PM, bkk6060 said:

False.

Take a look at AUD, USD, etc.

They have all fallen and have nothing to do with Brexit.

Well the Oz dollar is in the top 5 of the world's most traded currencies,that's not my opinion,that's from a currency trader.

On 7/21/2019 at 5:58 PM, steven100 said:

agree …. Australia is technically in a recession and the UK is looking just as sad.

The problem is that these governments never look outside the box when it comes to economic stimulus.

The need to change/challenge the methodology of boosting the economy. But sadly they don't have the balls.

If it was me in charge, I would go out and borrow as much as possible at 0.01% … 7,8 or 9 hundred billion dollars …  then start development, new roads, bridges, schools, hospitals, high speed rail, agriculture, forestry, factories for the unskilled, one million low cost houses for the poor, and so on ….

This way, you kick the economy in the guts, you create 1 million jobs that in turn feed families and they buy cars, groceries etc ...

Ans so what ...in ten , twenty years you still owe 6 billion or whatever, at least the country was saved from poverty, recession or depression.   imo.o 

China spends massively to raise GDP. But they have the moola. America should renew infrastructure but Republicans would rather give a tax break to corporations and the wealthy.

On 7/21/2019 at 8:49 PM, bkk6060 said:

False.

Take a look at AUD, USD, etc.

They have all fallen and have nothing to do with Brexit.

GBP, AUD - currencies of nations which have little to offer to the world in terms of exports. The Australian economy is "houses and holes", we can export top class real estate agents. I can see only a few groceries from Australia around. 

Our RBA is working hard to devalue the AUD and stimulate the economy the wrong way. Tough times ahead for the Aussie expats here relying solely on OAP. 

Same in England due to the brexit knuckledraggers now running the show.  Sterling will slump to parity with dollar and prob low 30s baht (assuming Thai bank curb its appreciation - could be worse).  I’d advise any brit farang to move a reasonable percentage of your sterling assets into thai account (and gold), because once Boris de pfeffle wifebeater gets his no deal ‘disaster capitalism’ brexit, expect another 15% wiped off sterling.  Even in one year I’m up a few K sterling (I’m not loaded at all, just an IT contractor transferring 100-150K baht month)

On 7/23/2019 at 2:40 AM, BritManToo said:

Who would you bang in a rural French town?

33 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Who would you bang in a rural French town?

It all comes down brothels (aka bars) and pimps (bar managers) pimping young poor girls for marriage to creepy older sexpats. That's the only reason for sexpats to come to Thailand and marry and live in Issan. Where else one can do it?

things should start to calm down and the baht will start to depreciate up to 33 baht-1 USD, they completed the purchase of the military equipment..... 

"Pentagon approves Stryker infantry carrier vehicles sale to Thailand" 

Archived