Fortuner or CHR

damen

Looking to change my current car to either Fortuner or CHR

Currently driving Pajero Sport Yr 2013. 

Took a test driver, prefer Fortuner as it is similar to my current car however much newer. 

However i took a test drive on CHR, it is like a fantastic drive. Very stable, no jerk. Unlike pick up base SUV. However CHR is small and short compare to the past cars i drove. 

I'm buying showroom cars, so both of mileage is low and price is slightly cheaper. 

Fortuner 2.8V 2wd: 1,250,000

CHR 1.8 HV HI 2wd: 1,00,000

Which car do i lose the least if i were to sell it and change within 2 years time.  

Why not a Pajero again? I have the new model (2 WD) since 3,5 years and I am very satisfied. After 55,000 Kilometers not a single problem. I also tried the Fortuner and it is harder on the street what I don´t like because the streets in Thailand are not so good and you feel every bump more than in the Pajero. Ok, at the backside the Fortuner looks better. 

Just now, CNXexpat said:

Why not a Pajero again? I have the new model (2 WD) since 3,5 years and I am very satisfied. After 55,000 Kilometers not a single problem. I also tried the Fortuner and it is harder on the street what I don´t like because the streets in Thailand are not so good and you feel every bump more than in the Pajero. Ok, at the backside the Fortuner looks better. 

I got a bad experience on my current Pajero. Miles is only 82k yet problem starts to come one by one. So i wish to change to old and reliably Toyota.  

Very different vehicles as you know.

Pick-up based with chassis means high floor stealing some interior space, harsher ride, but tough and good for floods and rough roads.  But with 2wd you lose some of the benefit?

CHR being car based has better ride and handling, but its a smaller body.

I know you are focussing on Toyota - but Nissan X-trail has car-like qualities but interior space of a real SUV.  Best of both worlds in my view.

Just now, Kinnock said:

Pick-up based with chassis means high floor stealing some interior space, harsher ride, but tough and good for floods and rough roads.  But with 2wd you lose some of the benefit?

I know you are focussing on Toyota - but Nissan X-trail has car-like qualities but interior space of a real SUV.  Best of both worlds in my view.

Yes, X Trail hit all the spots accept their gearbox got a heavy flaw. I found a good deal, showroom car for 950k for their top hybrid model. This is even cheaper then CHR. However as their heavy CVT gear shift flaw, this is rather unfix-able on long term based. I know this as my father in law purchase a brand new car 3 years ago. And this is a well known problem, that is why many car tent does not accept guarrantee on xtrail cvt gearbox. 

4 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

As for other brands such as Mazda & Honda, they does not want to sell they showroom car to me. Haha. For me i think showroom car is the best deal. Much cheaper yet still new. 

10 hours ago, damen said:

Yes, X Trail hit all the spots accept their gearbox got a heavy flaw. I found a good deal, showroom car for 950k for their top hybrid model. This is even cheaper then CHR. However as their heavy CVT gear shift flaw, this is rather unfix-able on long term based. I know this as my father in law purchase a brand new car 3 years ago. And this is a well known problem, that is why many car tent does not accept guarrantee on xtrail cvt gearbox. 

Consider also the honda crv (top seller) and subaru forester (second highest seller). The ride of the fortuner is harsh by comparison. You can get a 2.4 swd crv for about 1.35K If I recall. It has a cvt but no known problems with this box. I got the diesel version and find it very comfortable and not as bulky as a ppv. I've driven the new pajero sport but find it a little bouncy on rough roads. Many get this car but change the shock absorbers.

image.png.37d9128e60a83d78b0a0b42745d8b775.png

I have had a CHR 1.8 with CVT for a year now, not a Hybrid,  I love it. It rides and handles very nicely.  I can switch the CVT to manual 7 speed and let it run.  I like doing this.  It is not a muscle car but goes quite good.  Use E85 fuel as recommended.  I would recommend it for anyone who likes a sporty car.

Totally two different cars. Fortuner is a real SUV , CHR is basically a large car.

Fortuner will be a good choice over CHR and handles better on Thailand roads.

Fortuner will hold it's resale value more than CHR. I always prefer Toyota over Honda or Nissan.

2 hours ago, animalmagic said:

Changed the tyres to Michelin on our Fortuner a few months ago and noticed a clear difference in comfort and ride quality.

What Brand tyres did you have before and how old were they when you changed them out. thank you

13 hours ago, damen said:

No issues at all with my 2 year old X-Trail - gearbox works well.

I think any problems must be older model.  

Toyota do not have a larger car-based SUV in Thailand, though the RAV model is popular in other markets.  So Honda probably worth a look.

Many dealers will have offers on showroom cars and ex-demonstrators - also consider 0% interest deals. 

To answer the OP's original question, at least from my experience, the pickup based SUV or PPVs like the Fortuner and Pajero Sport loose value slower than the car based SUV like CRV and X-Trail.  However, previous performance does not guarantee future performance so YMMV.  

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

C-HR has now taken over the mantle as the ugliest car in Thailand. In my opinion. It is as if they fired the design team and left the PC on when the janitor was cleaning the office.

I must agree, gawd knows what they were thinking of....But folk are buying them..

Well i've had my Fort for 13 years from new, done 165Kms, only problem i've ever had was the alternator packed up, fixed for 500bht. Its a fantastic vehicle, cheap servicing and i can drive it in Bangers or an Issan village. 

It would be a no brainer for me.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

C-HR has now taken over the mantle as the ugliest car in Thailand. In my opinion. It is as if they fired the design team and left the PC on when the janitor was cleaning the office.

Only beaten by Nissan Juke, i was about to say. The 2020 model doesn't look that bad though.

nissan_juke_frontquarter_02_copy.jpg

12 minutes ago, bahtboy said:

That's funny....mine's absolutely stunning. Gets lots of admiring looks and comments! I love it.

Sorry, but in my eyes (in my wife´s too) it´s the ugliest car on the Thai market. The 2020 model looks better. The C-HR is not far behind.

16 hours ago, Kinnock said:

ut with 2wd you lose some of the benefit?

I have the 2wd model of the Pajero and had never a problem to drive where I want. Also bad roads in the mountains never were a problem. Usually (99%) I drive on normal streets where I don´t need 4wd - and ice and snow are not so much in Thailand.

5 hours ago, DavisH said:

Consider also the honda crv (top seller)

The diesel engine only has 1.6l. A little bit small in my eyes for this big car.

A review about it: 

And a review of the C-HR: 

6 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

I have the 2wd model of the Pajero and had never a problem to drive where I want. Also bad roads in the mountains never were a problem. Usually (99%) I drive on normal streets where I don´t need 4wd - and ice and snow are not so much in Thailand.

The diesel engine only has 1.6l. A little bit small in my eyes for this big car.

A review about it: 

That bloke's a plonker..????

6 hours ago, DavisH said:

Consider also the honda crv (top seller) and subaru forester (second highest seller). The ride of the fortuner is harsh by comparison. You can get a 2.4 swd crv for about 1.35K If I recall. It has a cvt but no known problems with this box. I got the diesel version and find it very comfortable and not as bulky as a ppv. I've driven the new pajero sport but find it a little bouncy on rough roads. Many get this car but change the shock absorbers.

image.png.37d9128e60a83d78b0a0b42745d8b775.png

only mazda does not look totally ugly.  How can other car makes sell this kind of $hit ?

4 hours ago, sencelebi said:

Totally two different cars. Fortuner is a real SUV , CHR is basically a large car.

Fortuner will be a good choice over CHR and handles better on Thailand roads.

Fortuner will hold it's resale value more than CHR. I always prefer Toyota over Honda or Nissan.

No, fortuner is not a SUV, its a pickup with a cover.

Archived