BANGKOK 19 August 2019 01:13
damen

Fortuner or CHR

Posted (edited)

Looking to change my current car to either Fortuner or CHR

Currently driving Pajero Sport Yr 2013. 

Took a test driver, prefer Fortuner as it is similar to my current car however much newer. 

However i took a test drive on CHR, it is like a fantastic drive. Very stable, no jerk. Unlike pick up base SUV. However CHR is small and short compare to the past cars i drove. 

I'm buying showroom cars, so both of mileage is low and price is slightly cheaper. 

Fortuner 2.8V 2wd: 1,250,000

CHR 1.8 HV HI 2wd: 1,00,000

Which car do i lose the least if i were to sell it and change within 2 years time.  

Edited by damen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why not a Pajero again? I have the new model (2 WD) since 3,5 years and I am very satisfied. After 55,000 Kilometers not a single problem. I also tried the Fortuner and it is harder on the street what I don´t like because the streets in Thailand are not so good and you feel every bump more than in the Pajero. Ok, at the backside the Fortuner looks better. 

• Like 1

Just now, CNXexpat said:

Why not a Pajero again? I have the new model (2 WD) since 3,5 years and I am very satisfied. After 55,000 Kilometers not a single problem. I also tried the Fortuner and it is harder on the street what I don´t like because the streets in Thailand are not so good and you feel every bump more than in the Pajero. Ok, at the backside the Fortuner looks better. 

I got a bad experience on my current Pajero. Miles is only 82k yet problem starts to come one by one. So i wish to change to old and reliably Toyota.  

• Like 1

Very different vehicles as you know.

Pick-up based with chassis means high floor stealing some interior space, harsher ride, but tough and good for floods and rough roads.  But with 2wd you lose some of the benefit?

CHR being car based has better ride and handling, but its a smaller body.

I know you are focussing on Toyota - but Nissan X-trail has car-like qualities but interior space of a real SUV.  Best of both worlds in my view.

Just now, Kinnock said:

Pick-up based with chassis means high floor stealing some interior space, harsher ride, but tough and good for floods and rough roads.  But with 2wd you lose some of the benefit?

I know you are focussing on Toyota - but Nissan X-trail has car-like qualities but interior space of a real SUV.  Best of both worlds in my view.

Yes, X Trail hit all the spots accept their gearbox got a heavy flaw. I found a good deal, showroom car for 950k for their top hybrid model. This is even cheaper then CHR. However as their heavy CVT gear shift flaw, this is rather unfix-able on long term based. I know this as my father in law purchase a brand new car 3 years ago. And this is a well known problem, that is why many car tent does not accept guarrantee on xtrail cvt gearbox. 

4 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

As for other brands such as Mazda & Honda, they does not want to sell they showroom car to me. Haha. For me i think showroom car is the best deal. Much cheaper yet still new. 

• Like 1

Changed the tyres to Michelin on our Fortuner a few months ago and noticed a clear difference in comfort and ride quality.

10 hours ago, damen said:

Yes, X Trail hit all the spots accept their gearbox got a heavy flaw. I found a good deal, showroom car for 950k for their top hybrid model. This is even cheaper then CHR. However as their heavy CVT gear shift flaw, this is rather unfix-able on long term based. I know this as my father in law purchase a brand new car 3 years ago. And this is a well known problem, that is why many car tent does not accept guarrantee on xtrail cvt gearbox. 

Consider also the honda crv (top seller) and subaru forester (second highest seller). The ride of the fortuner is harsh by comparison. You can get a 2.4 swd crv for about 1.35K If I recall. It has a cvt but no known problems with this box. I got the diesel version and find it very comfortable and not as bulky as a ppv. I've driven the new pajero sport but find it a little bouncy on rough roads. Many get this car but change the shock absorbers.

image.png.37d9128e60a83d78b0a0b42745d8b775.png

• Like 1

I've had my C-HR Hybrid Hi for just over a year and 9,500 km. I absolutely love it! It's the nicest ride I've ever had, and I have been a used car salesman and Ford sales manager for 40 years in UK. Ticks all the boxes for me.

• Like 2

I have had a CHR 1.8 with CVT for a year now, not a Hybrid,  I love it. It rides and handles very nicely.  I can switch the CVT to manual 7 speed and let it run.  I like doing this.  It is not a muscle car but goes quite good.  Use E85 fuel as recommended.  I would recommend it for anyone who likes a sporty car.

Totally two different cars. Fortuner is a real SUV , CHR is basically a large car.

Fortuner will be a good choice over CHR and handles better on Thailand roads.

Fortuner will hold it's resale value more than CHR. I always prefer Toyota over Honda or Nissan.

2 hours ago, animalmagic said:

Changed the tyres to Michelin on our Fortuner a few months ago and noticed a clear difference in comfort and ride quality.

What Brand tyres did you have before and how old were they when you changed them out. thank you

i was at the back of a CHR several times and found each ride uncomfortable.

13 hours ago, damen said:

No issues at all with my 2 year old X-Trail - gearbox works well.

I think any problems must be older model.  

Toyota do not have a larger car-based SUV in Thailand, though the RAV model is popular in other markets.  So Honda probably worth a look.

Many dealers will have offers on showroom cars and ex-demonstrators - also consider 0% interest deals.