Fortuner or CHR

damen

2 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

I have the 2wd model of the Pajero and had never a problem to drive where I want. Also bad roads in the mountains never were a problem. Usually (99%) I drive on normal streets where I don´t need 4wd - and ice and snow are not so much in Thailand.

The diesel engine only has 1.6l. A little bit small in my eyes for this big car.

A review about it: 

And a review of the C-HR: 

1.6 is small, yes, but you would not know it by driving it. It would only be considered "slow" compared to the larger 2.2 diesel cx-5 or the hybrid xtrail. It's faster than fortuner/pjs, etc. I find the diesel crv accelerates similar to my previous civic 2.0, but being a diesel it just lopes along at low rpm. Fuel economy is a little less than that in my wife's swift - about 13 km/l in fairly heavy surburban traffic up to 20 km/l on a highway run. 15 km/l in light to moderate urban traffic. 

5 minutes ago, DavisH said:

1.6 is small, yes, but you would not know it by driving it. It would only be considered "slow" compared to the larger 2.2 diesel cx-5 or the hybrid xtrail. It's faster than fortuner/pjs, etc. I find the diesel crv accelerates similar to my previous civic 2.0, but being a diesel it just lopes along at low rpm. Fuel economy is a little less than that in my wife's swift - about 13 km/l in fairly heavy surburban traffic up to 20 km/l on a highway run. 15 km/l in light to moderate urban traffic. 

Faster than a Pajero with a 2.4 l diesel engine? I can´t believe.

My Pajero needs around 11l/100km. But I am a fast driver. When I try to drive very economic outside the city I can bring it down to a little bit over 9l/100 km. 

I am living in Chiang Mai and with the 2.4 l engine it´s no problem to drive up the mountains with a good speed and without an annoying high noise of the engine. I drove with 7 people and a lot of luggage up to the Doi Inthanon and had not a the feeling that I need more power. 

17 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

My Pajero needs around 11l/100km. But I am a fast driver. When I try to drive very economic outside the city I can bring it down to a little bit over 9l/100 km. 

I am living in Chiang Mai and with the 2.4 l engine it´s no problem to drive up the mountains with a good speed and without an annoying high noise of the engine. I drove with 7 people and a lot of luggage up to the Doi Inthanon and had not a the feeling that I need more power. 

My Tuna 2.8lt does around 6.1lt/100km average. I did a trip the other day at a slow 95kph Due to road conditions, and it returned 5.9lt/100km 1.4rpm in C/C.  That was in Eco mode. Thank Buddha I didn't buy a Pajero.

Right to the OP what engines size has the Tuna your looking at I would plumb if you can for the 2.8 much better on fuel than the 2.4lt + the extra power when needed. Unlike many other I do like the look of the T/CHR but would never buy one as they are to small in my estimation. 

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

My Tuna 2.8lt does around 6.1lt/100km average. I did a trip the other day at a slow 95kph Due to road conditions, and it returned 5.9lt/100km 1.4rpm in C/C.  That was in Eco mode. Thank Buddha I didn't buy a Pajero.

Right to the OP what engines size has the Tuna your looking at I would plumb if you can for the 2.8 much better on fuel than the 2.4lt + the extra power when needed. Unlike many other I do like the look of the T/CHR but would never buy one as they are to small in my estimation. 

WOW that is very good FC you have. How about city driving? 

3 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

My Tuna 2.8lt does around 6.1lt/100km average. I did a trip the other day at a slow 95kph Due to road conditions, and it returned 5.9lt/100km 1.4rpm in C/C. Thank Buddha I didn't buy a Pajero.

I never drove so long economic that I can say exactly how much I would need. I guess I have to try. II am using the app Fuelio and the lowest I reached was 8.73l/100km at 663 km. The average of the Pajero´s lifetime is 10.7l/100km. But if I drive from my home in Chiang Mai to the hotel in Bangkok in 6.5 hours, I drive fast and use a lot of diesel. And I have to drive through the mountains what´s also not economic.

1 minute ago, damen said:

WOW that is very good FC you have. How about city driving? 

I don't live in BKK or places like that. But we still have quite a bit of traffic about in town. As long a I drive sensibly and not like crazy Thais, I return 6.4/5lt/100k. That's what my comp: says and I do tend to believe it. As have checked it several times with full tanks. Mind you if I stuff my foot down loaded it will go up. In sports mode even more but has never got any where near the silly amount that CNX quoted for his Pajero.    

3 minutes ago, damen said:

And i saw that fortuner could use B20, will the engine clog or damage by Biodesiel? 

Sorry cant answer that as I have always use Shell V power or any other premium Diesel that I can get my hands on. I was told by Toyo when  they gave me a chitty for a full tank when I picked my lump up, that that's what I should use so have done so ever since. If it helps with fuel consumption I don't know. But the figures I quoted are correct.

I don't understand models like the C-HR or the Nissan Puke... sorry Joke... eh Juke. They are wide on the outside, taking away parking space and making it more difficult to maneuver. Yet they are small on the inside.

Not a fan of the Fortuna because of its pickup base with bad suspension but still costing a fortune (excuse me). Toyota should update the RAV4 and bring it here, that would probably be much better. But they still sell tons of the Fortuner so of course they are gonna milk that cash cow as long as possible. People still buy it after all. At least it's very sturdy and keeps its value well. Pretty good reasons for Thailand after all.

36 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

I never drove so long economic that I can say exactly how much I would need. I guess I have to try. II am using the app Fuelio and the lowest I reached was 8.73l/100km at 663 km. The average of the Pajero´s lifetime is 10.7l/100km. But if I drive from my home in Chiang Mai to the hotel in Bangkok in 6.5 hours, I drive fast and use a lot of diesel. And I have to drive through the mountains what´s also not economic.

I never travel at those speeds now, due to the cameras about. Not that I'm to worried about them just a pain in the Butt having to pay the fines. And yes I have had several. So I don't drive slow. The 2.8 tuna is very slow revving so uses less fuel, well compared to the 2.4 Tuna. At 140kph the 2.8 is doing 2.100rpm the 2.4 2,500rpm. Cant say on your one.

I know the trip you do well, as I live in K.P.Phet you have to go through it when you do your BKK run. Have been to C/Mai several times as well as the BKK run. And the so called mountains can be a real pig if you do it first thing in the morning. Last went through them last Feb: and it was very misty damp and bloody cold, I even had to turn on my heater.

10 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I don't understand models like the C-HR or the Nissan Puke... sorry Joke... eh Juke. They are wide on the outside, taking away parking space and making it more difficult to maneuver. Yet they are small on the inside.

Not a fan of the Fortuna because of its pickup base with bad suspension but still costing a fortune (excuse me). Toyota should update the RAV4 and bring it here, that would probably be much better. But they still sell tons of the Fortuner so of course they are gonna milk that cash cow as long as possible. People still buy it after all. At least it's very sturdy and keeps its value well. Pretty good reasons for Thailand after all.

CHR - also export to regions in SEA. And they are really very comfortable ride. 

8 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I never travel at those speeds now, due to the cameras about. Not that I'm to worried about them just a pain in the Butt having to pay the fines. And yes I have had several. So I don't drive slow. The 2.8 tuna is very slow revving so uses less fuel, well compared to the 2.4 Tuna. At 140kph the 2.8 is doing 2.100rpm the 2.4 2,500rpm. Cant say on your one.

I know the trip you do well, as I live in K.P.Phet you have to go through it when you do your BKK run. Have been to C/Mai several times as well as the BKK run. And the so called mountains can be a real pig if you do it first thing in the morning.

After I have hidden the "Chiang Mai" of the number plate under the frame for this long tour, I got no tickets anymore ????

The board computer at my Pajero always tells lies about the real diesel usage. So I use an app. 

23 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

The Tuna for your information doesn't have Pick up suspension, has coil springs all round so handles very well. The TRD has a sports set up so a tad harder than normal one. That enables it to corner better with it's 20" wheels.   

5 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

After I have hidden the "Chiang Mai" of the number plate under the frame for this long tour, I got no tickets anymore ????

The board computer at my Pajero always tells lies about the real diesel usage. So I use an app. 

Good idea might give that a try N/P that is.

I didn't believe my comp: in the lump when I got it as it was nowhere near the figures I obtained from my last 3lt Tuna so checked it out several time with full tanks and they always came out around the same give or take. So happy to believe it now.

Tip I have had camera shots from the rear twice, so just make sure that your rear one is set low as well.

Sorry, but in my eyes (in my wife´s too) it´s the ugliest car on the Thai market. The 2020 model looks better. The C-HR is not far behind.

The Juke might not win any beauty pageants but put it next to its stablemate Nissan Cube and it’s Miss Universe !!

Fortuner, spacious and luxury. Trade in price better, more wanted. Higher in fuel consumption

CHR hybrid , new, trade in? , you change after 2 years again, less space, however hybrid does 3.8 l/100km

GUess money isnt an issue for you, so pick the one you like, there are wayyyyy more cars. 

2 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

I did my homework. I've driven the 2wd new pjs on a road trip. It is close to the crv in performance, but uses more fuel and is more cramped in the first two rows and narrower than the crv. 

https://www.autoinfo.co.th/datron/

Lots of information on all models here. image.png.3390fcdb7db9cceebab827327541cf52.png

image.png.f2640a2c7b9cb25a92144adccff8da5f.png

4 hours ago, plfomylo said:

only mazda does not look totally ugly.  How can other car makes sell this kind of $hit ?

Note sales of the cx-5 have dropped from 800+ sales a month due to problems with their cars. I'd love a more beautiful nissan 370z, but not in this country. 

8 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Note sales of the cx-5 have dropped from 800+ sales a month due to problems with their cars. I'd love a more beautiful nissan 370z, but not in this country. 

What problems and to how much did sales drop?

4 hours ago, DavisH said:

I did my homework. I've driven the 2wd new pjs on a road trip. It is close to the crv in performance, but uses more fuel and is more cramped in the first two rows and narrower than the crv. 

https://www.autoinfo.co.th/datron/

Lots of information on all models here. image.png.3390fcdb7db9cceebab827327541cf52.png

image.png.f2640a2c7b9cb25a92144adccff8da5f.png

Wow, I am surprised. Tomorrow I will measure the acceleration of my Pajero.

I am sure that a 1.6l engine needs less diesel than a 2.4l engine. But the Honda is 300.000 Baht more expensive. It needs a looooong time to buy so much more fuel to be equal with the Honda price. 

7 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Wow, I am surprised. Tomorrow I will measure the acceleration of my Pajero.

I am sure that a 1.6l engine needs less diesel than a 2.4l engine. But the Honda is 300.000 Baht more expensive. It needs a looooong time to buy so much more fuel to be equal with the Honda price. 

I did think long and hard about the pajero, and knew I was paying much more for the crv. But I did get discounts / stuff valuers close to 100K for it, so it wasn't too painful. I never drove the pjs in a large town for a start (where I do most of my driving), and my wife wasn't comfortable driving it - I guess too high up for her. I do like the look of the elite version, and not there is a minor change due on the 25th - with a triton-looking front. Consider some upgraded adjustable shocks if you want more stability in your pjs, https://web.facebook.com/shockpoint/. These guys have a good reputation. That's the only thing I could fault really with the pjs I drove. You will keep the soft ride but it will become less bouncy on rough roads. 

13 hours ago, eisfeld said:

What problems and to how much did sales drop?

Sales have dropped several hundred per month to less than 200 last month. The main problem with the diesel is excessive fuel used to clean the dpf is going into the engine oil and causing wear and tear on engine components. A common problem. The petrol version is having fuel pump failure. Less common is gear box failure. 

Nissan X-Trail is world's best selling SUV.
2.0 Hybrid version sold in Thailand looks good.
Haven't heard about the gearbox issues?

Honda CRV also good in my opinion. Platform is from Civic so it'll give you good comfort. Not sure they're offering the latest Honda Sensing for the Thai model. Neither a hybrid is available (yet).

Toyota RAV 4 would be great to have here but TiT.

Archived