Vientiane Tourist Visa Update: Many People Denied

the queues at savanakhet are going to be getting a lot longer once word gets around.

to the OP how comes you didn't get an interview? do you think it was the previous work permit and did you get back in at the border or still in laos?

Edited by GeorgeCross

9 minutes ago, SicTransit said:

I’m betting my top baht you cannot cite those rules.

Your top baht are quite safe, I can't cite those rules. Nevertheless they are obviously being applied aren't they?

Edited by JAG
  • Like 2

Forgive me but why else do you need to visit Vientiane if not for reentry to Thailand. Am I being ignorant, do people actually visit Vientiane for other purposes?

Does this not put a major dent in the hotel economy in Vientiane?

Maybe I'm just not aware I just did mot see many people doing anything but get Visa's whilst there twice, previously.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Thanks for the update.  Were you given a reason for the denial?  Were you then able to re-enter Thailand at the border as visa-exempt?

No reason was given other than "my boss reject you sorry ka".  Yes I was able to get back in after greasing a couple palms so to speak. I was definitely sweating.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, SicTransit said:

Living as in having access to social security, health insurance and other rights? Good job then getting rid of that potential burden on Thai society! That’ll show them freeloading western immigrants.

Did they also get to keep the visa fee?

In Vientiane you pay the day after when you receive your visa. As I was rejected I didn't have to pay anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

<<One couple was asked to show a bank account with at least "200k baht".>>

wonder what that’s about.....

They fit the backpacker on a shoe string budget mold. They even came in wearing giant backpacks and gave the impression they are not so well off. This may or may not be true but to the consular officials their looks may have gotten them scrutinized. The 200k was likely a number she pulled out a hat just to scare them away and keep the line moving.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, matt9998 said:

I believe it was because I provided no supporting documentation to give the consul an idea as to my financial situation. Had I provided a bank statement and a flight ticket out I feel I would have gotten approved. This is all speculation however I did speak to a few foreigners who ended up getting approved and the common theme was all provided some sort of additional documentation.

Are there any announcements in writing there, asking for flight tickets and financial statements, or did they just ask for these additional documents after you turned in the "usual" supporting documents?

2 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Are there any announcements in writing there, asking for flight tickets and financial statements, or did they just ask for these additional documents after you turned in the "usual" supporting documents?

No announcements. My friend was told in person at the window. It is not listed on any of the websites or written anywhere. The required documents are just the form, passport, and 2 pictures of yourself.

Edited by matt9998
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, matt9998 said:

No announcements. My friend was told in person at the window. It is not listed on any of the websites or written anywhere. The required documents are just the form, passport, and 2 pictures of yourself.

Strange. So they must have just come up with these new requirements. Either a Bangkok directive from the new minister in charge, or a new consul...

Firstly, thanks for sharing this. You gave a lot of details to help the rest of us understand what's going on up there. I'm curious to know, other than 3 back to back TVs and a non-imm. B, what else do you have in your passport? Any tamps from in-out border runs, overstays etc.?  
I find it very strange that they gave your friend a chance but not you, despite his visa history looking more suspicious. Were all of those TVs from Vientiane or mixed up? It's possible that your last work permit made them think you're still working here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAG said:

Your top baht are quite safe, I can't cite those rules. Nevertheless they are obviously being applied aren't they?

Well, some sort of unofficial rules are being applied in some locations. The problem is trying to figure out exactly what those rules are, and in which locations they are being applied. Further, it often seems that individual officials have their own interpretations of those rules. I guess the safe approach would be to assume that you might be denied entry as a tourist if you have ever been in Thailand before. (Note the recent report of someone denied entry on a first tourist visa because he had worked as a teacher in Thailand before. Find the official reason under Section 12 of the Immigration Act that covers that one!)

• Thanks 1

It is interesting that they asked for a bank statement of 200k as that is the amount required for a METV in most western countries. It is normally just 20k for a SETV. 

200k aka 5000€ was always the requirement for a METV. It was the most important thing, where they always looked carefully at (talking about the Embassy in Germany). Even if you had 5000€, they were suspicious as some people just had a few Euro more over that minimum requirement. The were asked then to show the transactions from the last few weeks to see if a big amount was just transferred from another account for the sake of having 5000€. 

Seems the are implementing that rule now as well for SETV and it will be quite annoying. I fully understand that there are many people who can`t show 200K/5000€ for various reasons. After all it`s still a short-term tourism visa.

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Like 1

My previous topic was closed due to some trolls but I made it back without problems, many rejections on my day too though.
And visa fee is always paid on pick-up day.

Edited by tabarin

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

Here is a quote from a memo giving guidance to IO’s when considering visa exempt entrance for tourism;

“The alien must not enter the Kingdom by exploiting 30­ day visa exemptions undertaking method “in­out” or called by foreigners as “Visa run”. Aliens use the advantage of Tourist Visa Exemption by leaving Thailand and returning immediately for the purpose of extending their stay, which is considered from the tourism point of view to be longer than necessary and not in line with the purpose permitted while entering country.”

The same principle is being applied — to a lesser extent — to those now forced into using Tourist Visas instead of Visa Exemption.

Anyone that has not got the message yet has their head in the sand.

To reiterate what has been pointed out many times before:

• Deciding whether people qualify for visa exempt entry is the responsibility of immigration. They have been given guidance, via publicly announcements with an announced date of introduction, on how they should discharge that responsibility.
  • There has been no announcement that immigration, rather than embassies/consulates, are now responsible for deciding whether people should be issued tourist visas. Should such a major policy change have occurred, it is bizarre that it has not been announced. Indeed, I would have expected (as with the official rule changes you cited) that its date of introduction would also be made known.

Some have pointed out that, official or not, new rules are being applied, and visitors just have to accept them. That is true, but I am not going to pretend I find such third country type unchecked power to arbitrarily deny entry in the hands of individual officials is admirable.

• Like 2