Vientiane Tourist Visa Update: Many People Denied

In case anyone misinterprets dbrenn's clever irony, IO officers are refusing entry of people they suspect are working in Thailand illegally.   It is their purview and, indeed, their responsibility to do so.  Even if they are over-zealous in some cases.

My adult son and daughter (who live outside Thailand) visit me once or twice a year (on their home country passports).  They never have a problem with Immigration.  Word to the wise...

13 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

In case anyone misinterprets dbrenn's clever irony, IO officers are refusing entry of people they suspect are working in Thailand illegally.   It is their purview and, indeed, their responsibility to do so.  Even if they are over-zealous in some cases.

My adult son and daughter (who live outside Thailand) visit me once or twice a year (on their home country passports).  They never have a problem with Immigration.  Word to the wise...

To be honest, I think you may have misinterpreted "dbrenn's clever irony". I fail to see the link between your post and what he said.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Stanton123 said:

Would getting a new passport still work to wipe the slate clean at the vientiane embassy? 

Or with the new online booking system for appointments, if someone is denied would their name be flagged and therefor the new and old passports connected? I doubt it, considering they get a couple hundred applicants per day. I think the new passport method would still work. 

I would doubt a new passport will do anything other than be linked to you, considering Vientiane now include this when you book an appointment. 

vientiane.jpg

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

Spot on post, written by someone who understands the way Thailand works.

Despite all the manifest evidence of people being refused for purely discretionary reasons, they still think that explaining the wording of the immigration law to immigration officers will somehow get them off the hook.

Now, by agreeing to the poster you quoted you seemed to be agreeing that you believe the Immigration or anyone with a badge are just doing as they please without following guidelines or using facts to make judgements? Agree with what I've said so far?

So, again back to the manifest evidence. What manifest evidence is there? It seems you are happy to accept a few anonymous posters on Thai Visa and taking their every word as 100% truthful without full documentation. You are also accepting this information as manifest fact even if a multitude of data is missing - data that immigration in any country would use to make a judgement.  So please have a think again and look up the definition of 'evidence' and get back to us with a bit of it to back up your otherwise unfounded notions.

On another note, it seems like the consulates in other countries are getting jack of the people cheating the system and applying stricter guidelines to weed out the people rorting the system.

5 hours ago, remorhaz said:

Your statements are correct of course there will be hurdles and I realize that Panama isn't Norway? (I think they are the number one visa free country now it changes a lot).  Still it would be nice and  if they took my past into account.  "Right.  Guy shows up for 10 days, drops a wad of money on tourist stuff and tours then leaves.  Repeat.  Never over stays.  Always stays at really nice hotels.  Not Bill Gates but spends a decent amount of money. No problems with the law."    

I know that its unrealistic and the guys at the consulate are simply looking at a checklist but they really do paint with a wide brush.  I am unaware of legions of my fellow Panamanians over-running the country and overstaying their visas but maybe I am just ill informed.  I will try HCM I've heard good things about it and if you or anyone bumps into a Panamanian at a bar in HCM who is frustrated with Thai visa procedures mention this thread and your first beer is on me.

I hear you.  There's always going to be a lot of red tape and frustrations.  Since you've spent a lot of money, maybe you should consider Thai elite visa and differentiate yourself in the eyes of IO.  Money does solve certain problems.  I may take you up in HCM one day and I've been to Panama City before, great city and canal, I'll look you up if I ever go back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clearance said:

What about ED visas in Vientiane now? Could someone, who has ED visa last month, post about situation here please? Our school manager told us that we likely to be invited to additional interview at embassy for 2nd ED visa.

If you have had a previous ED from anywhere in the previous 12 months, you cannot get another one in Vientiane. You basically need to wait 12 months from any previous ED visa before applying there.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, baboon said:

No, of course not.

Ah yes, I remember it, just did not associate it to you. ???? Sorry about it, sooo many threads.

Thanks.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, orbital777 said:

I have 500k+ sitting in my Bangkok Bank because I have been trying for months now to apply for an Elite visa (a single 2 day overstay in 7+ years is the hangup on that).

Hey, sorry for off-topic - one time overstay should be not a problem to get Elite visa, right?

Ok so a couple of heads with back to backs a plenty are being denied.

I don't see cause for concern here at all.

I think the officers are maybe right to refuse Visa's to those who may be working here whilst on a tourist visa

Maybe it's the correct thing to be doing now, maybe tourist visas have been tainted and now everyone's gotta pay the price.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mikisteel said:

Ok so a couple of heads with back to backs a plenty are being denied.

I don't see cause for concern here at all.

I think the officers are maybe right to refuse Visa's to those who may be working here whilst on a tourist visa

Maybe it's the correct thing to be doing now, maybe tourist visas have been tainted and now everyone's gotta pay the price.

Yes , send all the native English speaking teachers back home or send them all to Countries where they can earn a wage , rather then trying to teach Thai kids how to speak English and let the Thai non English  speaking Thais , let their pupils to learn English from them 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Lovethailandelite said:

If you have had a previous ED from anywhere in the previous 12 months, you cannot get another one in Vientiane. You basically need to wait 12 months from any previous ED visa before applying there.

I got first ED visa in December, but entered country in January, they count from visa issue date, or date when I used this visa? 

A post containing a quote which has been altered has been removed.

16. You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

On 7/21/2019 at 6:51 AM, JAG said:

They both had back to back tourist visas, 5 (450 days) and 3 (270 days respectively).

Rather stretching the idea of tourists - the consular officials almost certainly thought that they were living in Thailand on tourist visas.

It is most likely as simple as that.

And one of them said he had a previous work permit.  So from a technical point of view it looked dodgy at best according to the rules and policies

17 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

So from a technical point of view it looked dodgy at best according to the rules and policies

Well, from a technical point of view, to come off a non B and have a vacation in Thailand while looking for your next job, you need money.

And 20K on a statement, which is the bare minimum, does not please anybody, even though it meets the requirement.

The more money you have, the more believable the story becomes.

Otherwise, it looks like your friend gave you the 20K yesterday, and in fact you are starving, having lost/finished your job, but want a nice vacation, where you won't work.

Not saying it applies to this particular situation, it's just an example.

Edited by lkv

On 7/21/2019 at 8:54 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

Are there any announcements in writing there, asking for flight tickets and financial statements, or did they just ask for these additional documents after you turned in the "usual" supporting documents?

They CAN ask or require stuff at a whim... 

When getting my wife's ED Visa,  they asked us for receipt to prove that we paid for her schooling...  that was now asked for last year and the School said no one gas ever asked that before..  now, keep in mind that the School did all the paperwork, sent it to the Colsular, Minister of Education, etc. .. a lot if work and not something that anyone is going to do for free. 

As far as the 200K Baht,  we had to show that we gave at least $8000 USD in bank as part of the Visa Requirements. So that Couple was most likely getting,  or trying to get something other than just a Tourists Visa.

7 hours ago, clearance said:

What about ED visas in Vientiane now? Could someone, who has ED visa last month, post about situation here please? Our school manager told us that we likely to be invited to additional interview at embassy for 2nd ED visa.

The "Interview "  thing is probably to see if the person getting the ED Visa, let's say, for Learning Thai Language is actually going to school and learning Thai Language.... 

If a person has had an ED Visa and going to school for a year,  that person should at least know some basics..  if they pull the person in and all they know what to say is, hello, thank you, and how much?..  then that tells the Consulate that the person is not actually attending classes.

My wife just renewed her ED Visa in April, the guy at the window spoke to her in English, asked her questions in English (was not the "Interview").  However,  she made it a point to answer him and reply to him in Thai.

He was happy, he could see that she is learning the language well without having to do anything more/extra, or some "Interview".  He gave us her Visa and away we went,  no hassle.

5 hours ago, dbrenn said:

So why do you frequent this forum if you think that all the posters here are fibbers then?

I remember when getting visas was as easy as pie, but it obviously isn't anymore. The law hasn't changed though. 

When did I state that people are 'fibbers' or make any such suggestion? I simply suggested that you are taking some people's words on face value and referring to it as 'evidence' which it is clearly not and ignoring other face value to make your claims. Is it to much to ask you to put up any sort of evidence to support your hearsay?

Thank you for offering a very good example of how one person can misconstrue what is written and attempt to turn it into fact.

hello .

I could do with some advice im 66 (uk), my partner is phillipina.

We have applied for ed visas, sirada (Hua Hin)

tried to make appointment at vientianne, but registered my GF as cambodian ( they spell her country as Filipines!) No appointments made but it looks like she cant be de-registered.

Anyway having blown vientianne, im now looking at other visa run options.

I would like an enjoyable trip ( last year caught a bus from Hua hin at 1.30 am yuk)

Does anyone have any recomendations

terry

8 hours ago, Xavnel said:

The "Interview "  thing is probably to see if the person getting the ED Visa, let's say, for Learning Thai Language is actually going to school and learning Thai Language.... 

I'm not native English speaker, so I can choose English course and have no problem passing this interview then, thanks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/21/2019 at 8:51 PM, JAG said:

They both had back to back tourist visas, 5 (450 days) and 3 (270 days respectively).

Rather stretching the idea of tourists - the consular officials almost certainly thought that they were living in Thailand on tourist visas.

It is most likely as simple as that.

Of course they were, just like many others who were and are going to be rejected thinking they can keep living in Thailand on tourist visas..When will people learn?

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2019 at 8:10 AM, Kenny202 said:

So what happens in these cases where you have belongings or stuff sitting in an apartment somewhere? Do you just lose it all?

Everyone here on any type of stay other than PR (maybe even then) should always have a "Plan B" - and a friend ready to get your important things to you. 

This is also a reason to Save your 2 Land-Border Visa Exempts for exactly this situation - where the rules change w/o notice.

On 7/22/2019 at 2:23 PM, reefsurfah said:

Unfortunately, the ones who abused the system are making it tougher for everyone else. 

No, the Thais Encouraged us to visit frequently, until recently - but changed no law or published rule to warn anyone. 

Unless one is violating they law / overstaying, nothing is being "abused."  Those arbitrarily denied entry or visas without Clear Published Rules enforced evenly, are the ones being abused.

Those making things "harder" are those not paying agents, since "no tea-money" stays are what immigration hates.  In that respect, since TR Visas are corruption-free, you are correct - it ticks them off.

On 7/22/2019 at 1:01 AM, StayinThailand2much said:

Strange. So they must have just come up with these new requirements. Either a Bangkok directive from the new minister in charge, or a new consul...

My bet - Money Changed Hands.  The anti "farang who not pay tea-money" brigade must have been angry about Vientiene for awhile.  Looks like they finally put up enough dough to get what they wanted.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 3:33 PM, FredGallaher said:

To get visas to developed countries you need to convince the officer you have strong reasons to not stay and you will return home. They often ask leading questions like, "if you can find a school will you stay, or someone to get married to, etc" If you answer wrong you don't get in. Why should Thailand be different? You are not Thai and not entitled to be here?  

Getting into Australia, UK, US and UK is pretty much the same. Many stories her about it.

Why should it be different?  Because there are not higher-paying jobs for us here than our home-countries, spouses of citizens don't have rights or a path to PR, and 15% of Thailand's GDP is Our Spending Foreign Currency into their economy.  Consider that most GDP is "recycled" money - far less valuable than tourist-spending.

On 7/22/2019 at 3:46 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Do you find this surprising? Do many countries offer lengthy or unlimited visas to people with no reason to be spending their whole time in the country? Thailand's visa system is more generous and flexible than most.

Yes, they do, and no, Thailand is not better than "most."  Just in the region, no problem doing serial-visas to Vietnam or Cambodia, or staying 3 years in The Philippines as a tourist.  Then there is most of Latin America, which has similar policies. 

• Like 1