Vientiane Tourist Visa Update: Many People Denied

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The only advantage would be that the officer did not see pages of visas and entry stamps. Your record of entries would still be in their database due to your passports being linked.

It does make a big difference when applying for visas at embassies and consulates since they only look at your passport for previous visas.

Thank you. Would back to back visas for that amount )between 16-18 months) typically cause problems at border? How often does it happen? Would this be as or less risky with an METV? Would Suvarnabhumi be a better shot?

Edited by ThaiRebound

2 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

Thank you. Would back to back visas for that amount )between 16-18 months) typically cause problems at border? How often does it happen? Would this be as or less risky with an METV? Would Suvarnabhumi be a better shot?

Land borders (avoiding Poipet and Padang Besar) are a safer option than most airports (including Suvarnabhumi). At friendly land crossings, there appears no difference between an SETV and an METV. If you decide to risk flying in, the METV probably gives you a better chance, but some have still been denied entry with an METV.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Land borders (avoiding Poipet and Padang Besar) are a safer option than most airports (including Suvarnabhumi). At friendly land crossings, there appears no difference between an SETV and an METV. If you decide to risk flying in, the METV probably gives you a better chance, but some have still been denied entry with an METV.

Got it. I have always made it through, but this time was different. I think it might have to do with an error the immigration office in Udon Thani had made with a stamp, which they had to amend by stamping the word "CANCEL" on it. The officer was stamping it to allow another 30 days as extension (on the 24th, yet to apply from the 30th) of the first 60 days of the METV. I cannot decipher why this was a mistake. I will include an attachment. I think the CANCEL or the error itself may have raised eyebrows.

Given my length of stay stats and what you have observed, how high-risk am I for land crossing at a favorable border with a SETV and new passport?

pp.png

On 7/22/2019 at 10:29 AM, wolf81 said:

If you have enough money and you like Thailand, I'd say just buy the Elite visa. No more hassles. 

That's not a guarantee.

Say you do pay for the Thai Elite visa, a good junk of 500,000 baht.

Now you get stamped into Thailand for 1 year, no job, and now you're running low on cash... you decide to fly out and fly back in to get stamped in for another year but you don't have 20,000 baht on you.  

Who's to say the IO won't deny you entry because you don't have enough funds or show proof of funds of 20,000 cash on you?

The Thai Elite is not for tourists who just want to be in Thailand for 1-2 years.  It's more like a retirement visa for the wealthy who are retired under the age of 50. Not for the typical traveler/tourist who just use Thailand as a temporary place to stay.

Edited by acenase

9 minutes ago, cerox said:

Elite for me, is just very risky and a huge attachment to this place.

Attachment to a xenophobic place, where nowadays the foreigner is considered trash, due to the successful media propaganda for the last 5 years, of the current regime.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

Life circumstances may change, esp. for those who now do not think it through and buy a 20y visa (only good value, 5y too expensive about Elite).

E.g. New relationship, prices rising in Thailand or the THB, relatives in your home country getting sick and needing your help, all reasons why I would not buy such a long visa.  That does not even include "trust" to the government and Immigration rules.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

May i ask what’s the problem with Padang Besar? I know they are super strict about the 20k Baht, flight out of Thailand and you need to stay at least 1night in Malaysia . But apart from that not the BS which is happening in Poi Pet. I ask, as I will cross there in Sept. and Oct. (no land border-runs in 2018/2019 tough )

59 minutes ago, cerox said:

I can understand you guys who buy Elite, because in some cases there is no other good option and you get desperate.

But honestly, Immigration changes things all the time, how can you trust them for 5 or 20 years? Also all the problems in Thailand, maybe you want to live somewhere else in 2 years. Elite for me, is just very risky and a huge attachment to this place.

I have been tossing about getting the Elite Family Visa , 800,000 Baht 

The reasoning... this year to renew my Wife's ED Visa it cost approx $3500 (with the trip and all other things such as Grab to/from school 4 days a week when I am outside Thailand)... 

For me, I work outside of Thailand,  so come back on VE all the time... and I stress every time, stressing that I could be denied entry.

Now... if we go thr Elitd route... 5 years averages to approx $5,000 a year .  However,  we BOTH have a Visa for 5 years and my wife is not obligated to attending classes 4 days a week.

But... if we got this,  then we are obligated for 5 years  IMO, because it is a big investment basically.  

What happens if, in 2 years, we need to go back to USA?.. then we are out of that money...  wasted.

Just thought I would share my thoughts on getting the Elite Visa 

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not new. But maybe they are doing what the announcement stated now that says it is one per calendar year.

Announcement dated October of last year. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/news/announce/detail.php?ID=621

Once per calendar year means back-to-back ed is no issue assuming you study for a year...Guess that's why I had no issue

Exactly. Well stated. Wish those under 50, unmarried, without job in Thailand would c Lue in that they cannot live in this or most other countries without meeting certain criteria. And that is not back to back to back to back tourist visas!

No, living as in residing here for an extended period, irrespective of social security and health insurance - something to which many if not most Thais have no access.

Look, Thailand's visa rules allow for tourists to enter for sixty days, which can be extended by another thirty days. Three months as a tourist. If you want to live here you need to fulfil certain criteria (less onerous than for many countries!). If you have a properly constituted job then an appropriate visa (non immigrant B) can be obtained. If you are married to a Thai then you can get a non immigrant type O. These are also available to retired people over 50 with sufficient funds. If you're under 50, but fortunate enough to be "a person of leisure" then the "elite" visa is available. But the authorities have made it quite clear, and are now enforcing the rules to ensure, that living in Thailand on back to back tourist visas is not accepted.

The queues at Savannahket may well get longer, but I suspect that they will also turn away people seeking consequetive tourist visas. It is, quite simply no longer an option. There is ample provision for visas if you wish to live here, according to the rules laid down by the country. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lennois said:

I received a back-to-back education Visa about two weeks ago from Vientiane with no issues at all. (First year combat school, this year Thai language school)

Perhaps they were afraid to cross you, after seeing you spent the past year in combat training

Hello guys,

I will go to SGN in a few weeks for a new ED visa. The school (one of the big ones in CM) urged me several times not to go to Vientiane anymore, as I did in the past few years. I have a new passport (only one ED visa in it) and 16 months since my last ED visa have past.

They said they had reports of people getting their ED visas denied - for their languages and for Chiang Mais "combat training", that many like to use for easy visa.

Also here in the forum I see they have become very strict with tourist visas.

13 minutes ago, cerox said:

Hello guys,

I will go to SGN in a few weeks for a new ED visa. The school (one of the big ones in CM) urged me several times not to go to Vientiane anymore, as I did in the past few years. I have a new passport (only one ED visa in it) and 16 months since my last ED visa have past.

They said they had reports of people getting their ED visas denied - for their languages and for Chiang Mais "combat training", that many like to use for easy visa.

Also here in the forum I see they have become very strict with tourist visas.

Current reports do not indicate issues at HCMC on ED.

I noticed today that one of the more well known visa services that runs to Vientiane and Savannakhet has updated their website. 

They qualified their statement with "It appears that" but noted that Vientiane now issues a single Tourist Visa per person per year. and Savannakhet will only issue a Tourist Visa if you have stayed less than 90 days in the past 6 months. This is a local rule.

29 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

I noticed today that one of the more well known visa services that runs to Vientiane and Savannakhet has updated their website. 

They qualified their statement with "It appears that" but noted that Vientiane now issues a single Tourist Visa per person per year. and Savannakhet will only issue a Tourist Visa if you have stayed less than 90 days in the past 6 months. This is a local rule.

Also stated that a new visa application venue coming soon.

I took a look at the website of that Chiang Mai combat school and the attendance requirement in order to be eligible to apply for an ED visa ==> just 4 hours a week! (2 hours on Saturday and 2 hours on Sunday).

I also checked out the requirement for issue of an ED visa if one is studying Thai language at an approved language school. I quote "ED visa students will study an average minimum of 15 hours per week".

If people are applying for an ED visa or extension to study just 4 hours a week, it hardly surprises me that they're being knocked back.  

45 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

Are these visa-sponsoring combat schools spread around Thailand? Is there a list of them anywhere? 

Dont think so, the CM school is the only one Ive heard about , although there may be other courses else where that offer the ed V

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

Dont think so, the CM school is the only one Ive heard about , although there may be other courses else where that offer the ed V

Not in Udon Thani, at least not ones needing a commitment of only 4 hours per week. Anyone know of minimal-commitment courses in Issan? 

Edited by ThaiRebound

I come to Thailand 4 Months a year. I get a SETV from my home country and then do a side trip somewhere nearby and get a second tourist visa and complete my holiday.

I have 60k in my Thai bank account and I can also show a foreign bank statement if needed.

Will Vientiane grant me my second SETV? Which bank statement should I lodge my application with, Thai or foreign? I also have evidence and can show a flight out for 7 weeks later.

Will this work?

• 2 weeks later...

On pick up of passport on the following day,  could someone please advise if you can enter the Consular section with a small back pack? Or should I leave it in the hotel?

Hoping to go to Nong Khai straight after pick up, thank you.

20 minutes ago, Ling Kae said:

On pick up of passport on the following day,  could someone please advise if you can enter the Consular section with a small back pack? Or should I leave it in the hotel?

Hoping to go to Nong Khai straight after pick up, thank you.

I always carry a small backpack and I've seen some backpackers picking up their visa without issues. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/21/2019 at 10:48 PM, Ling Kae said:

Tourist Visa Run Report:

20/08/19. I arrived at visa section at 8.30 am. Waited in a queue until 9 am and they opened the gates. You must show your booking for Visa application or no entry.

Documents submitted:

Application form with 2 photos 

Bio page of passport copy

Bank statement showing 20k or more

Receipt showing accommodation with address on it

Plane flight out of the country within 60 days

A copy of your Lao visa with your signature on it

Handed all of the above to the official and got a slip saying must be collected 21/08/19 

21/08/19

Joined the queue outside the gate, gate opens 1.30 pm. Everyone rushes in. They were calling in numbers 1 to 20, I was in that lot so queued up at window 2. Gave my name and booking number, paid 1,000 baht and my visa was granted.

Summary:

This was my second SETV for 2019. The first was issued in my home country. After reading the reports of denials, I just made sure I supplied everything required and then some. My opinion is that you should give the lot to them as it will most likely be required.  I didn't have the copy of the Lao visa so had to get that extra.  There was a place to do this there and then. 

Attached is a phot of the pick up receipt clearly stating you must provide address in Thailand, thanks.Screenshot_20190821-174438_Gallery.thumb.jpg.cac12c34dcd3dcdfbcc3291b7cf684ea.jpg

Thai authorities have themselves to blame if no one is coming to visit. Arriving on a tourist visa with no address was normal, as plenty of places to look at in Bkk, arriving with no onward flight was normal as traveling overland to neighbouring country. The Thais have lost the plot and deserve to have zero tourists, IMO.

Sad to see a once friendly country turn into an unfriendly place that only wants money and does not care about the tourist experience.

I hope the number of farang tourists drops to below 50% as that'll show them that we've had enough <deleted> and we're not going to take it any more.