Prove where your staying

It’s not a new law. It’s just being enforced more and differently at the local offices.

Being registered in the Yellow Book doesn’t exclude you as it has nothing to do with immigration.

If you don’t stay anywhere other than your ‘home’ you don’t need to do anything.

If you stay in a hotel in Thailand your local office might want a report when you return.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Only foreigners with permanent residency status are exempt, every other foreigner is considered a "temporary visitor in the kingdom", so by law your wife has to report when you stay at her house.

When exactly you have to report depends on your local immigration office, at most offices it looks like they only want a new report when you have left the country and come back, not if you travelled within Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, glegolo said:

The common perception is that every immigration.office has their own opinion about this rule. i.e. my Chaiyaphum immigration doesn´t care at all. It doesn´t matter if I am going out of the province or exit the country, I do NOT have to report a shit....

Reason (I asked last week, because next week I wuill be going for a night to Phitsanulok) according to them was; "no problem, you in computer-system, you live there, no report for you"..

So as suggested earlier, ask your immigration office to be sure.

glegolo

That sounds like one office with an ounce of commonsense. If one is making 90 day reports, this should cover it. I'm at a loss as to why we have another repreated law for those that live at one address for the long term and are not tourists. There should be different laws for retirees/WP holders and those on longer extension of stays. 

Even my office makes me report my address as a condition of getting my non-B extension of stay, even though I have not left thr country or travelled anywhere. They make up their own rules as they go along, regardless of what the law is.

16 hours ago, chris.m.s said:

does this rule apply to people like myself,as i'm not travelling through or holidayingin thailand i live here,

Yes.

If you leave the country, you – or rather the house master – shall report when you're returning. If you temporary stay another place within the country, you shall be reported there, and report again when returning. All reports within 24 hours.

In practice it's important when you come home, if you stayed at a place where you were TM30-reported, like a hotel or guesthouse, whilst a short family visit might never be noticed by the authorities, even the law prescribe a TM30-report.

Latest news-article is this, from last Saturday (July 20th)...

14 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Yes.

If you leave the country, you – or rather the house master – shall report when you're returning. If you temporary stay another place within the country, you shall be reported there, and report again when returning. All reports within 24 hours.

In practice it's important when you come home, if you stayed at a place where you were TM30-reported, like a hotel or guesthouse, whilst a short family visit might never be noticed by the authorities, even the law prescribe a TM30-report.

Latest news-article is this, from last Saturday (July 20th)...

Quote from that same news article 

As with many rules and regulations from immigration, the actual requirements may differ from one office to another. 

Yes it does apply to you. It applies to all foreigners regardless where you live. If you only stay in your province, then you only need to do it once. But you need to re-do it if you ever go out of Thailand and return to your own place.

By law, you should do it at each province you go and stay in should you go travelling, althogh if you stay in hotels, they are supposed to do it for you, and the report back at your own when you return home.

basically, they want to know were you are in Thailand at any given moment. 

Another thread on here had the the specific 1979 TM30 law translated and it said this rule applies to foreigners temporarily staying at an address. If you are listed in the Tabien Baan at an address you are not a temporary resident so only need to do reports if you stay some where else. However, we all know this will be interpreted differently at each office. Currently it seems this law is only being enforced in Bangkok and surrounding districts but I sure it will be coming to your area soon. The good news is if the TM30 is enforced rigorously then the 90 day reporting becomes redundant.

10 hours ago, DavisH said:

That sounds like one office with an ounce of commonsense. If one is making 90 day reports, this should cover it. 

There was a time when the 90 day report included presenting evidence of my current address, but these days they just read the barcode on the last report and print out a new one to staple in my passport. ... at least at Jomtien. 

I know that some people still call it a 90 day address report, but I'm never asked anything about my address let alone proving it. It doesn't even prove I'm alive since a fried usually does the report for me.

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So i will ask this question again. what if we stay with my wife's daughter on a long weekend, I O closed, police box unmanned, daughter working 12 hr shifts and a 3yr old boy to look after, what then. ? 

My friend was told he only needs to do TM-30 if he leaves the country so in your case you'll be ok

24 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So i will ask this question again. what if we stay with my wife's daughter on a long weekend, I O closed, police box unmanned, daughter working 12 hr shifts and a 3yr old boy to look after, what then. ? 

I think the general consensus about that type of scenario is that you can easily get away with not filing. Technically you have to file but otherwise there is no record of you having stayed there for a few days. If for some reason the police to come to the house they would probably inquire about the TM30 if they saw you. The degree you should worry about it is proportional to the likelihood of a police interaction with the only consequence being a fine.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

unfortunately this is their law (what you need for married visa application)IMG_1418.jpg.68cda714ff5095e6ca377c401928d053.jpg

That is not a law. The only law for immigration is the immigration act of 1979.

That is only a list of required documents put out by a immigration office. A office or officer can ask for additional documents if there is a valid reason for them. 

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

There would be no need to worry about the report since immigration would not know you were staying away from you home,

Forget reporting to the police since they probably would not have a clue about what you were trying to do.

• Thanks 1