Why are Dishwashers so Rare in Thailand?

SS1

Coming from Northern Europe where even the cheapest little studio apartments have some kind of a dishwasher installed, I've always wondered why are these machines so rare in Thailand. I've only ever seen some installed in expensive super luxury houses in Bangkok. Even most of the +30k/month luxury condominium units don't have one, but instead they've stuck a clothes washer in the kitchen. Being someone who eats many meals per day at home, the dish mountain builds up quickly and I can't imagine living without one. Luckily my landlord is a good friend of mine, so she didn't mind me making a fist-sized hole in the wall for the diswasher's drain pipe to the balcony.. 

Why are dishwashers so rare and unpopular here?

First thing that came to my mind is the cost, but that can't be it. Most mid-range condo's are equipped with a front-load clothes washer, which costs roughly the same price as a dishwasher. I would actually understand if an apartment didn't have a clothes washer, since you mostly do laundry once a week and buildings usually have communal machines to use. If not, you can bring them to a laundry shop around the corner and get them back clean/ironed the next day for a miminal fee. Diswasher tablets are expensive here (I bring mine from Europe), but that's just because they are a rare due to low demand. Water is also dirt cheap in Thailand..

Next thing I thought about is that perhaps upper-middle class locals don't eat at home at all, but go to a restaurant for every meal. Or alternatively, they use a food delivery service eating straight out of the containers leaving only a couple of utensils and glasses to wash. Is this really the case - do Thais mostly eat out? For myself, I can't imagine going out for every single meal - I prefer eating at home. Even if using food delivery services, I still rather use real plates and the dish mountain starts building up.

Finally, I thought about the cheap cost of having a maid. Even if I could afford a full-time maid, I would find it very odd having someone (like a second mom) constantly cleaning after me in a two-bedroom condo. I prefer my privacy and a maid who comes once a week for basic cleaning/laundry is more than enough. I know Thais like to use human workers instead of machines whenever possible, but at the same time you see every mall promoting the latest robot vacuum cleaners like crazy.. A robot hoover would be the last thing on my shopping list when equipping a house or apartment. Do most upper-middle class families use a maid that comes multiple times a week? 

Can someone explain - why don't Thais accept these amazing inventions into their households? 

Perhaps because they do not work all that well with the deep soup type dish most Thai eat from, as well as all your reasons above.  Add vermin damage and it can become very expensive (rats love European electric wires from my experience).  Add most homes not designed for them so electric/water/drains have to be made.

Just now, SS1 said:

You don't need hot water for a dishwasher! you just plug in a cold water pipe and the machine heats the water itself (same as a clothes washer). 

the most expensive way to get hot water ….  2 or 3 times normal cost.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You hand wash all your clothes too, right? 

Nope but many Thai still use a twin tub, start with the whites, you can save up to 70% water and also use a lot less energy vs an automatic  - same rewards as hand washing dishes - Europeans are lazy, and not near so eco friendly as they pretend

• Like 2

I think the main reason is that Thais eat out all the time, breakfast, lunch, dinner, all of it bought from the market and maybe all they have at home is a few plastic bowls. 

When your salary is around 10-12k baht , a dishwasher is the last thing on their mind. 

In my home country Norway, you will not find a home without a dish washer. But 90% of the population cook and eat at home. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Not true. Unless you're really good at saving water when washing them by hand.

As for lazy people. They are a convenience. When you finish eating you can just put dishes in the box and there's not a mountain of dirty dishes that need to be washed immediately. When it's full you turn it on and it does the job. And given high temperature of water inside a much better job than by hand. But each to their own. If I was a retiree with nothing to do all day, I'd gladly do all by hand just to have something to do. But with lacking time for everything including sleep, anything helps, and if this one dies I'll buy another one the same day.

You're are absolutely right.

But there is no answer to the OP's question:

'Can someone explain - why don't Thais accept these amazing inventions into their households? '

There may be many different reasons, one of the problems might be different size

and form of the dishes. Especially if there is 'family nearby'.

9 minutes ago, maikidmag said:

You're are absolutely right.

But there is no answer to the OP's question:

'Can someone explain - why don't Thais accept these amazing inventions into their households? '

There may be many different reasons, one of the problems might be different size

and form of the dishes. Especially if there is 'family nearby'.

Used to be if a Thai electric bill was under 100 baht no payment was taken - perhaps the industrious Thai decided the power used on a dishwasher was unnecessary, perhaps having to purchase crockery to sit dirty in a dish washer didn't appeal to the frugal Thai

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maikidmag said:

Sorry, but wrong.

Twice.

I Have a dishwasher installed in my kitchen.   I must say that in 16 years of installation it has never been used once. !!!  It seems that dish washing by hand is by far the best way to go in Thailand. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Trying be serious my wife says by the time i put them in the dishwasher wait for the machine to wash them, I still have to take all the plates etc out and put them away, it is quicker do the washing of dishes by hand.

Hmm, perhaps dishwashers are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?

• Like 1

I do not know if it was the people/owners I lived with when I had a dishwasher, but they are useless as far as i am concerned. If you could just lop all the dishes in them that would be great, dont get me wrong. 

But it seems, i have been told, you practically wash the dishes off before you put them in anyway. What a load. 

Maybe the thais have this one right. 

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

correct, they don't install hot water in the kitchen normally.

I'm still trying to educate them that it's best to wash dishes in hot water to avoid disease.

I bought the Hot water system 4 years ago and it's still in the box.  

yah.  maddingly frustrating to me that Thais just don't get the hot water thing and of course ignore basic germ theory as I am sure most of you have seen some of the restaurants and outdoor food stalls washing dish after dish in cold water with a hose.  Sure it looks physically clean but NOT

• Like 2

I don't think all dishwashers make their hot water.  I know the roll around one we had at home hooked up to the sink faucet and you turned on the hot water.  Maybe all modern ones heat the water themselves.  Easy to check but too lazy right now