Why are Dishwashers so Rare in Thailand?

SS1

2 minutes ago, ColinChapman said:

Try the Homestar powder and rinse aid (and salt) from HomePro, they work just as well as the expensive imported products and are much cheaper. 

Sea salt works fine and is much cheaper as a water softener (that is the only reason it is used) and is available everywhere.  

4 minutes ago, JusticeGB said:

Because the girls you take for the night will wash your dishes badly and for free.

That brings back memories! Not always washed badly though.

Nearly thirty years ago in Bangkok, one girl who stayed with me washed all my clothes and a pair of white canvas shoes - they had been scrubbed clean too.

I only found out when I woke up and saw everything in the sun, drying.

A dishwasher is an absolute necessity of life -all my homes have one- of course perhaps if you have a slave/wife/ maid to clean the dishes- you might not think it a necessity.

And of course everything comes out sparkling and pretty sterile- compared to filthy dishwater etc.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

A dishwasher is an absolute necessity of life -all my homes have one- of course perhaps if you have a slave/wife/ maid to clean the dishes- you might not think it a necessity.

And of course everything comes out sparkling and pretty sterile- compared to filthy dishwater etc.

I'm just concerned about everything coming out sterile.

Is that after you've tangled with the machine or the wife?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I have yet to see any that would get clean without pre clean in sink if anything but flat type (which is not what they use here).  This is from more than 20 years of using in Thailand and 4 different models of dishwashers.  Yes they are good for sanitizing but not so great for cleaning.  That said perhaps if only cleaning for one or two people you would have space to allow better wash - but for extended family use/full washer the cleaning is not that good - and they are the people needing.  

My experience has been in home but company repair people are well aware of the issue so I am not alone.  Two different models had severe damage on 3 occasions that I recall.  

I have and Electrolux top of the line DW for 5 years. It makes hot water and sanitizes as well. Never had a repair.

My dishes are squeaky clean and glasses sparkle. Yes we do get an occasional plate that does not get cleaned perfectly.

The issue is getting quality DW detergent here in Thailand. The Thai products don't work very well and the US products are way over priced.

I usually ask friends to bring a bag back when they travel to their home country. I check eBay as well and have been able to get a decent price.

But what I don't get is sick/colds. AFAIK, must have a DW.

At Macro, you can get all the DW safe glasses and dishes you will ever need.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Years ago Foodland had USA product that worked well but stopped stocking for Oz Finish which was less than useful (but seems to be in control here).  For a number of years was able to order on Ebay from seller in Spain but lost that source couple of years ago and had to use HomePro powder (which at least is a reasonable cost).  But have found Shopee source which will try once finnish current stock.

https://shopee.co.th/MLST-Multifunctional-Deep-Cleaning-Automatic-Dishwasher-Tablets-Detergent-Cleaner-i.104851683.2474271011

I have used that stuff from shopee and it's garbage. It doesn't desolve or clean well and leaves a lot of residue in the DW.  Try sourcing another brand on eBay or Amazon.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Sea salt works fine and is much cheaper as a water softener (that is the only reason it is used) and is available everywhere.  

They say sea salt damages the DW. How long have you been using it and why not use an all in one tab?

8 hours ago, mfd101 said:

So how many times have you been sick as a result of lack of 'sterilization' of dishes? I doubt that 'hot' water - as opposed to boiling (and even then) - will sterilize anything. Cold water is fine.

True - cannot say I have ever been "sick" as a result of not having sterilized dishes or utensils

Most GF's I've been with only shower in cold water and they have tasted fine and kept me fit and healthy. 

So far, so good, lived most of my life without a electric dishwasher,

will ask my doctor next visit to get his opinion - 55

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Sea salt does nothing to soften water. Water softeners work by exchanging sodium ions for calcium and magnesium ions in hard water.

The chloride in sea salt would actually be bad for dishwashers built out of stainless steel, because it would cause stress corrosion cracking in many stainless alloys above 60 C. Most dishwashers operate at 80 - 90 C.

I guess you were asleep during chemistry lessons.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

True - cannot say I have ever been "sick" as a result of not having sterilized dishes or utensils

Most GF's I've been with only shower in cold water and they have tasted fine and kept me fit and healthy. 

So far, so good, lived most of my life without a electric dishwasher,

will ask my doctor next visit to get his opinion - 55

Have you shared a common cold-water GF with your doctor, in order to ask his opinion of just how fine she tasted?

22 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Sea salt does nothing to soften water. Water softeners work by exchanging sodium ions for calcium and magnesium ions in hard water.

The chloride in sea salt would actually be bad for dishwashers built out of stainless steel, because it would cause stress corrosion cracking in many stainless alloys above 60 C. Most dishwashers operate at 80 - 90 C.

I guess you were asleep during chemistry lessons.

I was off sick with food poisoning the day we covered sea salt.

• Haha 1

The detergent, especially are crazy expensive in Thailand. I brought lots of the 3 in 1 tabs from Germany. 44 of the tabs costs in Germany around 4 Euro, here you pay for 20 pieces of the 2 in 1 a fortune and the special salt is expensive too, no idea why. 

Thankfully we have no open kitchen but I think a dishwasher is perfect for them. No stinky used dishes standing around if you are too lazy to clean it directly after eating, and you smell it in the living room too.