Why are Dishwashers so Rare in Thailand?

SS1

20 hours ago, 473geo said:

Nope but many Thai still use a twin tub, start with the whites, you can save up to 70% water and also use a lot less energy vs an automatic  - same rewards as hand washing dishes - Europeans are lazy, and not near so eco friendly as they pretend

You should try to keep up with the technical developments before posting:

https://www-cnet-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/how-much-water-do-dishwashers-use/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQA#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=Von %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnet.com%2Fhow-to%2Fhow-much-water-do-dishwashers-use%2F

There are plenty more articles about this subject 

7 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

If I remember correctly, my DW uses 10 Liters of water for a full cycle. Considerably less then hand washing.  

• Like 1

Thais are not educated about hygeine. They do not wash dishes effectively, they use unclean water, much if not most of their "crockery" is worn-out plastic crap, where the scratches collect and store pathogens. Dishwasher products are way overpriced and recently are less effective because the West has banned phosphates - essential for a low-temperature wash, not that any indigenous would know that or care.

The OP has correctly answered almost all of his own questions.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Grusa said:

Thais are not educated about hygeine. They do not wash dishes effectively, they use unclean water, much if not most of their "crockery" is worn-out plastic crap, where the scratches collect and store pathogens. Dishwasher products are way overpriced and recently are less effective because the West has banned phosphates - essential for a low-temperature wash, not that any indigenous would know that or care.

My Thai GF only gets to wash china, plastic not allowed. Cracked china, out it goes.

Phosphates have nothing to do with low temperature washing. They are chelating agents, complexing calcium and magnesium ions in hard water.

The cheapest way to fuel a dishwasher is to buy commercial sodium hydroxide and mix with sodium carbonate, Storage is a problem because sodium hydroxide is deliquescent, and reacts with atmospheric CO2.

Another who was asleep during the chemistry lessons.

7 hours ago, hanuman2543 said:

People don't fill sinks in Thailand they fill a small dish, and just how many days are the stinking dishes to be left in the dishwasher until it is deemed full enough to be economical - no thanks - and the electricity, most Thai people I know don't need hot water the dishes go straight in to soak

I stand corrected if a single person doesn't use his dishwasher for 3 or 4 weeks until it is full it may be more economical, even if he is gagging every time he opens it to put stuff in.

• Sad 1

On 7/21/2019 at 9:20 PM, lopburi3 said:

Perhaps because they do not work all that well with the deep soup type dish most Thai eat from, as well as all your reasons above.  Add vermin damage and it can become very expensive (rats love European electric wires from my experience).  Add most homes not designed for them so electric/water/drains have to be made.

not so, had one installed in my house very expensive, worked great all the time i lived with my g/f after 6 years god rid of her to live alone and never used it since, not worth the agg for 1 person

16 hours ago, peterb17 said:

A dishwasher is an absolute necessity of life -all my homes have one- of course perhaps if you have a slave/wife/ maid to clean the dishes- you might not think it a necessity.

And of course everything comes out sparkling and pretty sterile- compared to filthy dishwater etc.

Used to have one in the uk kitchen, because it fitted neatly in my redesigned extended kitchen layout. 

Here, my 'absolute necessity' is a nice bath to soak in, relax, read a book and emerge sterile, after leaving the washing up at one of our local reataurants!! 5555

On 7/21/2019 at 9:34 PM, SS1 said:

You don't need hot water for a dishwasher! you just plug in a cold water pipe and the machine heats the water itself (same as a clothes washer). The fact that kitchens don't have hot water even pushes me more towards getting one (as washing greasy dishes is a PIA with cold water). 

There is a general problem in Thailand with front loading machines in the kitchen in respect of worktop height. 

When I built my house I did the kitchen myself and had the kitchen window sill at 1 metre rather than the standard 800mm, I had a front loading washer I had brought from the UK. Although it was on the plans the workforce still made it 800mm, fortunately I lived on site and had it raised to the correct level.

At the house warming my wife showed the builder the kitchen and he said it was very nice but no good for Thais, working surface too high.

I would agree with you. About 18 months ago the washer after around 16 years(8 in UK & 8 in Thailand) started to have bearing problems. I would really have liked to relocate the washer and fit a dishwasher in the kitchen but couldn't stretch to the expense, settled for another front loading washer.

Just on the d/w technology: My experience in Oz about 6 or 8 yrs ago when the then 20-year-old machine broke down - The techo installing a new one said that we didn't need the hot water connection any more, that was old technology, the new d/w machines did their own heating.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:34 PM, SS1 said:

You don't need hot water for a dishwasher! you just plug in a cold water pipe and the machine heats the water itself (same as a clothes washer). The fact that kitchens don't have hot water even pushes me more towards getting one (as washing greasy dishes is a PIA with cold water). 

Agree. I specifically specified hot water to Kitchen sink in my new house.

On 7/21/2019 at 9:20 PM, lopburi3 said:

Perhaps because they do not work all that well with the deep soup type dish most Thai eat from, as well as all your reasons above.  Add vermin damage and it can become very expensive (rats love European electric wires from my experience).  Add most homes not designed for them so electric/water/drains have to be made.

Not too many rats on the upper floors of nice condo buildings in Bangkok.  

On 7/21/2019 at 4:34 PM, steven100 said:

correct, they don't install hot water in the kitchen normally.

I'm still trying to educate them that it's best to wash dishes in hot water to avoid disease.

I bought the Hot water system 4 years ago and it's still in the box.  

Why are you trying to educate the thai when you even don't install the boiler yourself??

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
It's not necessary, although I've noticed some people having that habit of rinsing dishes before putting them into the washer. I guess some are worried the drain will get clogged, but it really doesn't happen unless you leave some very big pieces of strong fibrous vegetables inside. The detergent is so strong combined with hot water, that it liquifies the food remains you left on your plates. If something doesn't melt, there is a removable sieve inside that can be emptied. I do that a couple of times per year. 

My (Thai) wife here in NYC really loves the dishwasher. (And, yes we cook/eat almost exclusively at home) Because the hot water kills germs and, like in Thailand most kitchen sinks are only single in apartments not double where one can be used for soaking and one for initial rinsing. Also the hot water and detergent requires the need for gloves. Not necessary to add that the drying cycle means no need for drying by hand. Just rack em and stack em. Only complaint is frugality requires it be full to the brim and that leaves one short of spoons sometimes. One more consideration. Cold climate seems to allow for more and more virulent infections, spread in the crowded venues of mass transit. The heated drying cycle is something she swears by and especially in winter. See you in BKK soon!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

no dishwashers

god the uneduacted laziness of western minds

the rich wouldnrather have a housemade/slave than a machine they have to load themselves

priveledge and wealth are subjective
its called entitlement
centuries old and no fangled machine can fix that

arabs tying poor philipomos to trees etc

why is their no dishwashers 

wake up smell the coffee
and thailand is becoming a real coffee culture

On 7/21/2019 at 3:59 PM, SS1 said:

Do most upper-middle class families use a maid that comes multiple times a week?

No, they have a maid living in house.

On 7/21/2019 at 5:20 PM, 473geo said:

Nope but many Thai still use a twin tub, start with the whites, you can save up to 70% water and also use a lot less energy vs an automatic  - same rewards as hand washing dishes - Europeans are lazy, and not near so eco friendly as they pretend

This may appear impossible since it seems like dishwashers are constantly spraying water, but a newer one does use less water than hand washing. Getting them clean in the sink can use up to 27 gallons of water per load. ... In fact, an Energy Star certified dishwasher can save almost 5,000 gallons of water per year.7 mrt. 2017

And dishwashers also wash much cleaner which can prevent you from diseases. They use hot water which almost none thai kitchen has. 

On 9/17/2019 at 9:38 PM, fhickson said:

why ask why. million dollar deal open a dishwasher store in bkk. no competition.

Every homepro, homeworks, powerbuy and so on sells dishwashing machines..even small ones...yes i have one but my wife still washes by hand haha.