Hippies may not enter Thailand

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

many people here will tell it does not ,but it does. it is extremely important how you dress at immigration.

you are disrespecting Thai people by dressing like a slob. You should dress like you are going to a important business meeting.

Same for conducting any business at the bank.

You have got to be kidding me... haha

The only thing that is cared about it having your paperwork in order and plenty of green, period. 

22 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

IIRC isn't it still law here making it illegal to leave the house without wearing underwear?

So be prepared for underwear inspection next time.

I can see it now: My mother was mortified when I had an accident and the hospital reported me for not having clean underwear.

For information about approved underwear, see this document: http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2549/D/064/176.PDF

underwear.JPG.baa45c12dc62200a281760eaf837b1fe.JPG

9 hours ago, adammike said:

Coming from the south the old hippy trail went through Singapore where they did make some get hair cuts.My favourite was that passports were allegedly stamped 

SHIT Suspected Hippy In Transit. 

Had mine cut by IO at Singapore immigration at the airport. (had hair back in those days which did not grow out of my ears)

Most hippies are suburban these days just travelling for the full moon parties because its trendy... so they have money.

They have good smartphones to post selfies as well.  Not like most oldies idea of a hippie, these new hippies don't have any message or idea how the world works

Image result for trendy hippie dreads 2019

5 minutes ago, garyk said:

The funny part of it is. The hippies of years gone by are the ones slapping 25-30K in a Thai bank.  

J. Lennon ,   just another poor hippy .

Flea market in Goa , those were the days free sex .  Hari hari...

10 hours ago, adammike said:

Coming from the south the old hippy trail went through Singapore where they did make some get hair cuts.My favourite was that passports were allegedly stamped 

SHIT Suspected Hippy In Transit. 

What difference does the length of ones hair make as long as he's clean.

A thick mouser or beard should definitely be a no no.

7 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

Even visiting Japanese students in the 1980s were sometimes given forced haircuts by Singapore Immigration. In the states you could not get into Disneyland. NO LONGHAIRS!

I have long hair and got into the Disneyland at Anaheim in Los Angeles.

20 minutes ago, elliss said:

J. Lennon ,   just another poor hippy .

Flea market in Goa , those were the days free sex .  Hari hari...

I know this sounds like a joke, but it happened, word-for-word:

When I was on a train to Goa, an Indian guy asked the western girl next to me if she believed in free sex, and if so, could he have sex with her for free.

20 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Their English was better back then, wonder if any got turned away for wearing sandals?

Yes. The English language teachers were turned back. Hope they never visit my house; they will see me in a  dirty heineken singlet wearing my flipflops....that's if I have guests. 

Shame they didn't stick to these rules, if they had been more fussy processing the half drunk half unwashed half dressed half broke westerners  hopping in and out the country last 2 decades they probably would of capped all the illegal working boiler boys before it became epidemic and they going to poipet on the daily big visa bus runs in the masses and racing back to bangers for work next day as couldn't afford miss 1 nights beer session and following days pay .

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

Yes. The English language teachers were turned back. Hope they never visit my house; they will see me in a  dirty heineken singlet wearing my flipflops....that's if I have guests. 

I  Dont want farlang visitors to my house , i  have given up on them .

However that said , i do occasionally post on TVForums...

Tourist from all walks of life is what made thailand buzzing city... but street side farang with a sign saying "please fund my travel" is a little bit too much even for me. Co'mon, you haven't seen really real live country side poor Thais.

23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

many people here will tell it does not ,but it does. it is extremely important how you dress at immigration.

you are disrespecting Thai people by dressing like a slob. You should dress like you are going to a important business meeting.

Same for conducting any business at the bank.

Completely agree. I always wear long pants and a button down shirt when I go. How much effort does that take? I can't believe how some people dress when they go there, and its not just young backpackers. 

5 hours ago, garyk said:

You have got to be kidding me... haha

The only thing that is cared about it having your paperwork in order and plenty of green, period. 

But if there is one little thing wrong with your paperwork and you are dressed like a slob they might just tell you to come back tomorrow with the proper documents, whereas if you are dressed neatly and show the proper respect they might cut you some slack and help you fix the problem right there so you don't have to come back. I have seen people turned away and told to come back tomorrow.

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I know this sounds like a joke, but it happened, word-for-word:

When I was on a train to Goa, an Indian guy asked the western girl next to me if she believed in free sex, and if so, could he have sex with her for free.

And did he ask if he could bring along 3 of his friends?

1 hour ago, nickstav said:

Completely agree. I always wear long pants and a button down shirt when I go. How much effort does that take? I can't believe how some people dress when they go there, and its not just young backpackers. 

I kinda get a kick out of posts like this. Back in the day I had just sold a house and had about 100K to invest. I was eyeing a Mutual fund. I turned up at the bank with hair to the middle of my back, shorts and sandals. I still own the fund by the way and the banker and I became friends. Him in his suit, and I at the time looking like a bum. I have enjoyed talking to him for years. He always cleared his schedule for me and we rarely talked about finances. 

5 hours ago, BuckBee said:

Shame they didn't stick to these rules, if they had been more fussy processing the half drunk half unwashed half dressed half broke westerners  hopping in and out the country last 2 decades they probably would of capped all the illegal working boiler boys before it became epidemic and they going to poipet on the daily big visa bus runs in the masses and racing back to bangers for work next day as couldn't afford miss 1 nights beer session and following days pay .

I would suggest that the Boiler Room Boys and other such organised criminals would be keeping a very low profile on their border runs. Why would they want to draw unnecessary attention to themselves? 

I remember from letters to the editor in the local rag in Panjim a complaint about hippies flogging things on the beach at Ajuna   I think it was, underpants were mentioned as one of the items. Catch 22 if you need cash to enter Thailand do not sell your underpants. 

On 7/21/2019 at 5:53 PM, nickstav said:

This does not apply to human hippies. It's for those alien hippies. The big-spending ones the TAT is trying to attract to Thailand.

Quote from "The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy":

Planet Earth: Insignificant blueish planet, its only claim to fame is an enormous open air brothel, called Thailand.

4 hours ago, nickstav said:

Completely disagree.

I wear flower tshirts because I am so far ahead of the old farts, who still have only buttons.

Sure, the dress does not make the monk, but a little respect for the entourage, is to respect oneself.
I participated, a few days ago, in an evening with suit and long dress.
A man allowed himself to come with a crumpled shirt,
shorts and slippers.
In my country, he would not have been accepted in such an evening.

Archived