risky to eat chicken brains?

BananaBandit

I now have something of a sweet-tooth for "gai yahng" - where the vendor gives a whole grilled chicken. This includes the chicken's head, which brings me to my question:  Is it risky to eat chicken brain ?

I'm aware that some very nasty diseases can "jump" from some animal brains to human brains. For example, consuming cattle brain can be dangerous ....Is chicken safer ?   

7 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

I now have something of a sweet-tooth for "gai yahng" - where the vendor gives a whole grilled chicken. This includes the chicken's head, which brings me to my question:  Is it risky to eat chicken brain ?

I'm aware that some very nasty diseases can "jump" from some animal brains to human brains. For example, consuming cattle brain can be dangerous ....Is chicken safer ?

As long as its cooked to 165 degrees Fahrenheit then it is most likely safe to eat.

Now as to why in the blue heck you'd want to eat chicken brains... Thats another matter entirely.  

On 7/21/2019 at 8:07 PM, Thainesss said:

As long as its cooked to 165 degrees Fahrenheit then it is most likely safe to eat.

I don't believe the temperature of cooking is relevant...I'm not talking about your run-of-the-mill bacteria...I'm talking about "prions"....a virus of sorts ( please forgive my lack of scientific precision in describing this ) that can jump from animal brains to human brains..... I know that eating cow brain can be problematic.... I am wondering if anyone knows whether or not eating chicken brains brings any real risk of contracting prions.

Archived