What to do if rejected entry at BKK?

My EU girlfriend and I will be arriving at BKK soon with fresh METVs. This is our second METVs since November 2018. Before that we have use an exemption for staying two weeks each year, nothing more. I'm not expecting any problems, but you never know.

My question is what is best practice if they decide to reject us for some reason? Which city in a neighboring country should we try to change our tickets to in order to get back to Bangkok as swiftly as possible?

• Confused 2

If you are flying in from EU you will be forced to buy a ticket back to your home country or the country you departed from if they reject you. Changing your tickets doesn't work and hence you're risking a lot flying into any BKK airport these days. There are simply too many reports with arbitrary reasons given by immigration.

If you have spent a good amount of time back in your home country you should be less scrutinized.

Edited by matt9998

15 minutes ago, matt9998 said:

flying in from EU you will be forced to buy a ticket back to your home country or the country you departed from if they reject you. Changing your tickets doesn't work and hence you're risking a lot flying into any BKK airport these days

There are two direct flights from my home town to BKK every day. To go to one of Thailands neighboring countries I would have to change flights in BKK anyway. Seems a bit overcautious to make such a detour just to avoid a small possibility of being rejected.

I just want to have a plan B if disaster strikes, that's all.

1 hour ago, matt9998 said:

If you are flying in from EU you will be forced to buy a ticket back to your home country or the country you departed from if they reject you. Changing your tickets doesn't work and hence you're risking a lot flying into any BKK airport these days.

How do you know for sure you can not book a new ticket out of Thailand to KL for an example? 

The chances of being rejected on your second METV is very small. Just make sure you dress professionally, have at least 20k on you per person and have genuine tourist related answers ready as to why you are basically going to spend up to a year in LOS. 

I would be a little nervous but not overly so when doing a border bounce to use the second half of the 2nd METV- your cumulative stay will be getting above 9 months for 1 year. However if you do this for just 1 year the risk of being denied is still very low.

If you were to do this for 2 years in a row your risk of being denied would go up a lot to a point where i personally would not risk it but still good chance of entry.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, steven2018 said:

Would an ongoing ticket to another county, and not a person's home country suffice.

ie; ongoing ticket to Cambodia and the person came from the U.S. My mitochondria are confused.

That would be an excellent solution as long as the flight into Thailand and the flight from Thailand to Cambodia used the same airline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

That would be an excellent solution as long as the flight into Thailand and the flight from Thailand to Cambodia used the same airline.

I haven't heard of someone being denied entry and then being able to fly to any place other than where they embarked. It probably has happened but I would have thought a long shot.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I haven't heard of someone being denied entry and then being able to fly to any place other than where they embarked. It probably has happened but I would have thought a long shot.

My British friend staying in kl.

he flew from kl to singapore on visa run. On return to kl they accuse him of working. Held him for a couple of days and tossed him on a plane to UK, not Singapore from where he came in.

Why are people posting and allowing mis-truths to go on about this?

If they have valid METVS, granted from a Thai consulate in their home country,

obviously having been vetted and passed all the requirements,

then there is little or virtually NO chance of being knocked back.

You guys know very well, Its only the perpetual free "Visa on arrival" attempts that carry any risk.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, G950 said:

The chances of being rejected on your second METV is very small. Just make sure you dress professionally, have at least 20k on you per person and have genuine tourist related answers ready as to why you are basically going to spend up to a year in LOS. 

I would be a little nervous but not overly so when doing a border bounce to use the second half of the 2nd METV- your cumulative stay will be getting above 9 months for 1 year. However if you do this for just 1 year the risk of being denied is still very low.

If you were to do this for 2 years in a row your risk of being denied would go up a lot to a point where i personally would not risk it but still good chance of entry.

What a sad state of affairs when it comes to this!

I'd love to know what lucrative jobs (without a work permit) Westerners are coming here for !!

The mind boggles

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, pookondee said:

Why are people posting and allowing mis-truths to go on about this?

If they have valid METVS, granted from a Thai consulate in their home country,

obviously having been vetted and passed all the requirements,

then there is little or virtually NO chance of being knocked back.

You guys know very well, Its only the perpetual free "Visa on arrival" attempts that carry any risk.

Seems you are very naive , regardless of the actual trend. I fullfill all of the above criteria and I am quite sure I would have be denied, if my gf wouldn`t have talked to the IO on the phone and confirmed everything in detail, what I told the IO before. 

Some IO are obviously making their own rules, conflicting with the actual laws. That`s the only reason why people are stressed here and nothing else. 

Being Under 50 and NOT having an Elita Visa, nowadays I would always look to have 1-2 well-educated and studied Thai friends ready to call, when entering via an airport. Sad, but true. In the case of my gf I am quite happy the she is quite used to hold business meetings, so she stayed calm. Begging the IO to make an exception with no rational arguments won`t help, if they decided to deny you the entry.

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

btw did anyone ever report about getting denied flying in Business or First class?

Not sure if that has anything to do with it but i always fly in biz and first and use fast track and only once i was asked a few questions and that was it.

2 minutes ago, Jackie66 said:

btw did anyone ever report about getting denied flying in Business or First class?

Not sure if that has anything to do with it but i always fly in biz and first and use fast track and only once i was asked a few questions and that was it.

I opened a thread about that 2 weeks ago:) Since 2015 I always flew in C/F to Thailand and never got any problems. The last time I wanted to pass Immigration was my first time in Economy. However, on the other hand I also flew quite often to DMK with Air Asia and never was questioned (the last time was in March). I guess your chances are much better when using the Premium Lane, but no one can prove it 100%.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It tends not to happen much. There are a number of reasons:

• The flight out of Thailand must be on the same airline you arrived on with very rare exceptions. Most airlines flying into Thailand do not have an extensive route map spreading out from the country.
  • Often, the denied person has unused return flight coupons. The easy solution for the airline is to grab that and use it to return you.
  • Few know the international agreements on inadmissible persons. They just do what immigration and the airline tell them to do.

29 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

So it sounds like you are a regular visitor to Thailand. So to put your other points into perspective, how many trips have you had here since 2015? What sort of visas? How long in total have you stayed in Thailand versus the time out of it?

All those points are extremely relevant to what you have stated earlier in this thread.

Sure I know it myself, got my 4th METV now (End 2015-Beginning 2017 I just had 4 visits a 15-20 days though), but I always fly home to Europe a few months per year. Will avoid airports this year for sure and apply for an ED Visa 2020. Told the IO every detail of why I won`t buy an Elite Visa for sure (planning to marry my gf in early 2021) and was able to prove several flights for extensive travel with my gf until November. 

Ah yes and data point : 34, living of passive income + work 3 months per year in the family company in Europe. So no visa for me apart from METV, ED oder EV.

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:
13 hours ago, BritTim said:

the airline is unaware of unused flight coupons they can grab,

Which century did you last travel in?

LOL. I was using the term "flight coupons" to refer to flight reservations that are linked to you, and that the airline can find in their system. Indeed, in the past when there were paper tickets, it was a lot easier to hide those from the airline should you ever wish to do so.

53 minutes ago, Jackie66 said:

I had a friend fly in with a Business Class ticket. He ended up getting hassled at the premium lane as they thought he was working in Thailand. He went to a wedding and ended up having to open up his suitcase and show the wedding invitation. They called his bluff basically.

15 hours ago, Nordude said:

My question is what is best practice if they decide to reject us for some reason?

You are not going to be rejected with your history. Just make sure you comply with all the requirements. That is of course, if you are still only staying 2 weeks - in which case, why have a visa?

Or do you mean you've stayed since November 2018?

Edited by KhaoYai