Strong baht hits foreign investment fund returns, TMB say

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, webfact said:

Strong baht hits foreign investment fund returns

In UOB Asset Management there are about 50 FIF's that range from fixed income, asset-based value, bonds, services, currencies, etc. type of investments. https://www.uobam.co.th/en/fund-type/3/foreign-investment

When you look through those funds you can see how a consistently "hot" baht from a foreign perspective can depress the returns and in effect damages the Thai economy over the last 3 years and going forward.

Prayut has as junta leader viewed similar costly economic failures by previous Thai elected governments as malfeasance negligence. Prayut brought lawsuits and the Thai courts held those elected government officials to be personally liable for the resulting financial losses to the Thai economy.

Will now the elected NLA and Courts hold the former and current Prayut government equally liable?

As a minimum the newly elected NLA should go "on record" to warn the current administration that it will be held liable as in the past for mismanaging the Thai economy.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

I'd be happy with 50 at the moment.  My UK State pension has been frozen for the last 11 years whilst inflation in Thailand has continued ever upwards.

Sorry,I know what you mean.... must be feeling that pressure,mine just started 2 years ago and already I see 50,000 baht evaporation,by the way what happened to the House of Commons hearing about our Indexation of benefits,has anyone heard anything?

rwill. The local Thai economy was doing okay in 2013. At this present time the local people are not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel. Every thai I talk to is not happy with the present Military joke government and do not things eill improve until there is a properly elected govenment.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I took all the money I had in my TMB SET 50 find out 3 years ago. I made 18% that year.

I bought bitcoin and Xrp, best decision I ever made, changed my life.

Yep, and the last few months has been a hell of a ride too!!

2 hours ago, hashmodha said:

I think they will let it float.... allowing to finding its true value....I reckon... because it is linked to £,US dollar and Euro all together.£ 65..... Euro.....39....US 34.... Just thinking a loud .!

why would its "true value" be 65 to the Pound?  Thailand has dysfunctional politics, but so does the UK.  The UK also suffers from one of the world's largest current account deficits (Thailand has a surplus), which is a drag on a currency's value.

2 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Exports down. Tourism greatly diminished. Expats furious (as usual).  Hasn’t Bank of Thailand inflicted enough pain with their hot money foreign inflows?  Was it really worth it—to collapse the economy?

economic growth estimated to be 3.3% for the year, unemployment around 1%.  What collapse?

The tendency of western states to inflate their currencies to bail out banks and buy votes via welfarism needs to be factored into such investment decisions. Any reasonable  investor will have covered this base, how can this be newsworthy?

1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

You don't say.

It about time someone woke up and smelled the Rose's.

Maybe some government intervention would be good. 

It's not all about tourism.

You want Thailand to be a currency manipulator?  I think that is frowned on my the international monetary community.  

9 minutes ago, Jack P said:

The tendency of western states to inflate their currencies to bail out banks

Could you give me an example of this?  The world went through a great depression because governments could not figure out how to do this.  I'm sure the governments of the world would be interested in learning how.  

3 hours ago, hashmodha said:

I think they will let it float.... allowing to finding its true value....I reckon... because it is linked to £,US dollar and Euro all together.£ 65..... Euro.....39....US 34.... Just thinking a loud .!

I do not believe the Baht is tied to the dollar in 1997 when the asian currencies went to crap the baht was disconnected from the dollar allowing it to surge toover 40 baht to the dollar. I believe it even reached 50 or so to the dollar. When I came in 1998 the rate was 46 to the dollar . In past the baht was tied to the dollar and the exchange rate remained at 25baht to the dollar

Could you give me an example of this?  The world went through a great depression because governments could not figure out how to do this.  I'm sure the governments of the world would be interested in learning how.  

Of course it’s never been tried, but they could quit printing money...

There was a shop in my town in the UK that sold only Thai goods - the usual Thai homemade stuff, statues, bedding, pillows, carvings , masks, etc. They are closing soon. I asked the owner why they were closing, who said the pound to baht had made it impossible to buy and import stuff to make the shop viable. The pound dropping 20%+ took all his profit away. I know thats peanuts to the thai economy, but rolled out world wide and that is disastrous, since their sales outlets will not come back 

There was a shop in my town in the UK that sold only Thai goods - the usual Thai homemade stuff, statues, bedding, pillows, carvings , masks, etc. They are closing soon. I asked the owner why they were closing, who said the pound to baht had made it impossible to buy and import stuff to make the shop viable. The pound dropping 20%+ took all his profit away. I know thats peanuts to the thai economy, but rolled out world wide and that is disastrous, since their sales outlets will not come back 

And the pound is off 36% against the US$ in the last five years.

While unfortunate, the problem may be more the weak pound rather than the strong Baht.

Why not open a shop in Bangkok selling goods produced in the UK?

4 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Exports down. Tourism greatly diminished. Expats furious (as usual).  Hasn’t Bank of Thailand inflicted enough pain with their hot money foreign inflows?  Was it really worth it—to collapse the economy?

Do you for one minute think the banks care or even understand? 

The excuse of a stronger Baht is pathetic. In 1996, the Asian Tigers including Thailand were roaring and the Baht at the time was trading at 25 to the dollar. Since, what has happened is a gradual and obvious collapse in productivity, services, professionalism and hospitality. They have managed to kick what was a fine model right in their collective balls. The Thais are no longer competititve and wish to remain within this cocoon. So be it. Other Asian countries are roaring. 

looks like the Australian dollar has fallen asleep no mention of it anywhere last week but it did stop falling against the Baht the last few days thank god or someone. with the Australian pension being as weak as it is I had to do a new budget last week I did not know how the wife would take it but she took it okay we have one house payment to go so we have a close call

6 hours ago, hashmodha said:

Pound steriling/thai bath 65 is in ratio to the euro/pound and usd/pound a nice development.

Boris would love to see that happen

Archived