Strong baht hits foreign investment fund returns, TMB say

webfact

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I've been buying in a lot over the last 6 months. Great price with so much going on, especially with xrp.

Ethereum is extremely undervalued. Throw down $10k on ETH. Hold for 5 years, thank me later. NANO is also a solid HODL. NASH too. If you want to go high risk high reward, look into AMB ( Ambrosus ) and get a masternode.

Peolpe can bash the Thai economy if they choose to but those that do will be sorry. BTS stock is a very good buy and tax free and will 3x over next 5 years at least.

The US economy is on fire, DOW will hit 40,000 by 2021. Invest in monopolies like Amazon. Amazon will easily 5x over the next decade. 

Or listen to the doomsdayers and live with regret that you didnt take my advice.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, bluesea said:

And what will happen if Donald Trump devalues the USD as he says he is by 20% ?? that will make the baht even more stonger.

No, it will make USD weaker. 

The central bank will do what it always has done and manipulate the baht. All you need now is a big enough event to have it all crash, as happen in 1997 economic crisis. The baht would jump to North of 56 then watch out for falling people. 

What was the big event that made it crash in ‘97?

I understood <deleted> of that post:-

'Balanced funds',

'Investors find returns',

'discretionary risk prevention groups and partial risk prevention groups',

'existing FIF funds',

'totally naked protection fund'.

'AUM’s base investment', 

The killer was:-

'the debenture fund'

Who the living <deleted> writes this stuff for us mere mortals? What are they talking about?

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

And the pound is off 36% against the US$ in the last five years.

While unfortunate, the problem may be more the weak pound rather than the strong Baht.

Why not open a shop in Bangkok selling goods produced in the UK?

Maybe because of the huge import Tarifs !

A post in which the quoted content had been altered has been removed as well as the replies:

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

Forum Netiquette

2. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

What was the big event that made it crash in ‘97?

The crisis can be traced to the premature opening-up of capital accounts before domestic financial systems and regulations were ready. Short-term borrowing was liberalized even more than long-term foreign direct investment in those countries.

Dollar-pegged exchange rates, portfolio investment and bank loans from advanced economies flooded into Asia before the crisis.  Once it became clear they were unsustainable, capital flows suddenly reversed. This led to large devaluations of the currencies and massive bank defaults.

https://www.todayonline.com/world/asia/what-1997-asian-financial-crisis-has-taught-us

20 hours ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:
20 hours ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:
21 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

The band is still playing while the ship is sinking.

You mean the Thai-tanic, of course.

The scene from the 1958 film was a classic tearjerker... this is a tearjerker for entirely different reasons. 

In my book when a country has a strong money it means that country has debts up to its eye balls. Over spending, (because of elections) and bad management, without mentioning corruption, of course.

On 7/22/2019 at 8:51 AM, hashmodha said:

I think they will let it float.... allowing to finding its true value....I reckon... because it is linked to £,US dollar and Euro all together.£ 65..... Euro.....39....US 34.... Just thinking a loud .!

65 To The Pound................Yeah In You're DREAMS !!!

On 7/23/2019 at 7:08 AM, brianthainess said:

Go back for 3 months.

Then I would get 3 months of inflation linked rise which, on my return to Thailand, would revert to previous level.  I would have to spend time applying for it; time to let them know of my return.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Then I would get 3 months of inflation linked rise which, on my return to Thailand, would revert to previous level.  I would have to spend time applying for it; time to let them know of my return.

Notwithstanding tbe cost of a return airfare you would lose more than gain!!!

Archived