Eight Chinese dams block 40 billion cubic meters of water from Mekong River

webfact

2 hours ago, djayz said:

in certain countries (definitely not "everywhere around the world" as you claim.

China is sucking in natural resources for all parts of the world,especially Africa, the Gulf States and Central Asia. 

https://thinkworth.wordpress.com/2013/09/12/ugly-ugly-chinamen-outsmarted-ugly-american-in-raping-worlds-natural-resources/

2 hours ago, morocco said:

"(definitely not"everywhere around the world" as you claim)"

How wrong you are my friend.

Until you prove to me that they are mining everywhere around the world, we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

No offense, but I don't know you and I'm definitely not your friend. 

Everyone is shocked that China is acting Chinese. To China, asia is a chessboard. Every move they make is a strategic decision to take control of the region, benefitting China, no one else. They are shrewd and cunning. "Belt and Road" is China spreading its tentacles into the furthest reaches of asia in order to dominate and control its minion nations. In the end, all neighboring countries will be checkmated...no way out. Economic and political bondage lay ahead.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The wily Chinese,they know you control the water ,you control 

the people, I predict in the future Water is going to be like Oil,

wars are going to be fought over it,in some parts of the World.

regards worgeordie

Looks like China is trying to pick a fight then.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The wily Chinese,they know you control the water ,you control 

the people, I predict in the future Water is going to be like Oil,

wars are going to be fought over it,in some parts of the World.

regards worgeordie

Water has been a source of conflict for many years now. Not just wars, but economic mismanagement.

The Murray-Darling in Australia is a case in point. The most arid continent on the planet, and multinationals plunder water for a thirsty crop, cotton. Economic and environmental insanity.

8 minutes ago, Uptooyoo said:

Everyone is shocked that China is acting Chinese. To China, asia is a chessboard. Every move they make is a strategic decision to take control of the region, benefitting China, no one else. They are shrewd and cunning. "Belt and Road" is China spreading its tentacles into the furthest reaches of asia in order to dominate and control its minion nations. In the end, all neighboring countries will be checkmated...no way out. Economic and political bondage lay ahead.

Well said.  I have to wonder if China is somehow behind the surging Baht.  It could very well be China buying Thai bonds —the hot money that Bank of Thailand so covets...

2 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

A proper Superpower. Not weak like America. 

Well done for them properly managing their own water. 

Evil Superpower, that is. Pooh bear probably has a cat he's stroking in his secret lair.

43 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

I have to wonder if China is somehow behind the surging Baht.  It could very well be China buying Thai bonds —the hot money that Bank of Thailand so covets...

That's my guess. It's recycled money from western consumers. West is the one bankrolling China's growing empire. But they don't care as long as you can buy cheap and crappy goods produced by cheap slave labor in China. Checkmate, commies win.

49 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Looks like China is trying to pick a fight then.

They've been arming up, including the islands in the sea they claim to be theirs. The masterplan becomes more and more visible every day.

soon there will be no water released by China as they also face drought.

and maybe in the future, china blocks all the water and gives s h ite to others living downstream.

if they do so, what will Thailand do? 

Call a war?

They handed Chinese a lot concessions and get their influence. now hard ot be back.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Eight Chinese dams block 40 billion cubic meters of water from Mekong River

... and Lao dams and Thai dams and Cambodia dams.  If Lao or Thailand or Cambodia were upstream from China they would be doing the same.

Who didn't see this coming with the first major drought.  He who is the furthest upstream wins. 

5 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

I remember reading recently that these low levels were only supposed to be temporary, so how long does temporary mean.....???

Until it rains again?  ????

13 minutes ago, connda said:

Until it rains again?  ????

Maybe when they do come, instead of opening the infeed gates to generate power, they wait, holding back as much water as possible for future power production. If the rains don't stop and become biblical, they'll be forced to open the flood gates with no regard to the ecosystems and countries downstream. But I'm sure they accounted for all this in their calculations.

6 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Just thinking. If the Chinese release enough water to power their hydro-electric stations, will that same water not flow down to the next power station and so on. The water does not disappear after it has been used.

Not quite that easy.

To use water, the height must be increased (head) in order to generate velocity hence the purpose of the dam.

The greater the height, the more potential energy for use in the hydro.

1 minute ago, Reigntax said:

Not quite that easy.

To use water, the height must be increased (head) in order to generate velocity hence the purpose of the dam.

The greater the height, the more potential energy for use in the hydro.

I understand that about head! So the water flows to the next dam, builds up a head, powers the dynamos, then goes downhill to the next dam. Not a great percentage of it should be lost.

29 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I understand that about head! So the water flows to the next dam, builds up a head, powers the dynamos, then goes downhill to the next dam. Not a great percentage of it should be lost.

I used to play with muddy puddles as a kid. Empirical evidence says if you build dams closer to source, the rate of flow from the source gets lower because of the back pressure. 

I also used to destroy the dams with a gleeful shriek of joy. Let's see if the people downstream will get the same idea.

The problem of the Water shortages has not been caused by the 8 Dams along the Mekong River, Its has been caused through many years of incompetence, greed and Corruption.

All these Countries that are affected by the Dams, should have had correct and sustainable water management systems built within their own borders many years ago.

Wars have, are and will be fought over Water resources, as its the most valuable resource known to man, and the winner takes all.

I first read about this while in Hong Kong last year in the South China Post.  The headline was, "The Next Regional War in SE Asian will be over Water ".

The "Lower Mekong River Authority ", comprised of Thailand,  Vietnam,  Laos and Cambodia " had just concluded their last meeting.  It did not end well.  So now, it starts, the choking off of water on the Mekong,  especially to Cambodia and the Vietnam Delta.

Laos has sold out to China and allowed the construction of dams and Thailand is no better in the deals they have accepted and money taken for the Thai government and the wealthy. 

The only country with the courage to stand up to China is Vietnam.   

This is really going to effect those that depend on water for the Toni Sap and Southern Vietnam.  Is a war possible over water? Yes, it is.

This makes me very sad for my friends,  both western and locals in these SE Asian countries .  This did not have to happen,  but it has.  The corrupt governments of the countries that have sold out don't care about their own people or their neighbors. 

Vietnam is the only country that has demonstrated itself to be a better nation.  Now what? This just keeps getting worse.  I'm disgusted and angry.

Archived