Pope scheduled to visit Thailand this November

webfact

10 hours ago, pegman said:

Catholics have a presence in Thailand? Who knew? 

Chanthaburi. Cathedral, schools in Chanthaburi city.

Our town has church, junior and high schools.

Many of the local towns have churches, in the 70s Vietnamese Christians settled here fleeing Communism, there was already a substantial population of Vietnamese descent living here. 

The Cathedral would be the best-known building in the province and features in local government promotions. 

Local Catholics held their 300 years celebrations in 2011.

cf2630a359989ffd108bdd8385cfff4eb3416bb8

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Well there are 3 Catholic Church's in Nong Khai Alone....

Five within 15-20 minutes of us - Chan city, Laem Sing, Khlong Khut, Tha Chalaep, Tha Mai, presume there are more on other side of the city 

1 hour ago, gomangosteen said:

Chanthaburi. Cathedral, schools in Chanthaburi city.

Our town has church, junior and high schools.

Many of the local towns have churches, in the 70s Vietnamese Christians settled here fleeing Communism, there was already a substantial population of Vietnamese descent living here. 

The Cathedral would be the best-known building in the province and features in local government promotions. 

Local Catholics held their 300 years celebrations in 2011.

cf2630a359989ffd108bdd8385cfff4eb3416bb8

Ah that's the place.

The missus wanted to look inside, so went in, was told to remove my baseball cap. so refused and promptly walked out the door.

It sure was not  a Buddha site to me. missus was well annoyed with me.

but hey, my religion not hers.

Ps went to one of the kiosks just to the right, bought a beer Chang and waited for her to come out.

Always find a Bar, Inn, or Pub next to a church. 

even in Thailand. :giggle:

2 hours ago, Stupooey said:

No, as any QI aficiando knows. Francis has many official titles (Bishop of Rome, Servant of the servants of God etc.) but "Pope" is not one of them. That title is reserved for the leader of the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria, currently Pope Tawadros II. So the answer to the perennial question "Is the Pope a Catholic?" is a resounding "No".

As for whether polar bears shit in the woods, that is a different question entirely.

Polar bears - woods - shit: You might want to think about that sentence.

4 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

How nice! The head of the world's biggest pedophilia organization coming to Thailand. That should surely burnish Thailand's image. ????

Just when they're trying to discourage sex tourists too! A whole load of'em in uniform!

8 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

......or bad hat day !

Did anyone know there were almost 400,000 Catholics here. 

I know there are several churches in and close to Bangkok but almost 400k ?

I thought the churches were for expats.

I have never met a Thai catholic.

Maybe the TAT supplied these stats to lure in big spending Italians.(sic)

They have just finished building a new church way out here in Patiew maybe he is coming here to give it his blessing!

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Polar bears - woods - shit: You might want to think about that sentence.

It could depend on the force/speed the matter is expelled at - if it hits warp speed.

Or it could just be lost. Or on a day out.

7 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

No doubt if it is true he will be having talks with the Supreme Patriarch discussing how the Catholic church and the Thai Buddhist community can con countless more billions from gullible souls.  Then accompanied by the numerous Catholic shirt lifters in his entourage there will be a tour of Boyztown followed by an inspection of Soi 6 bars searching for underage girls on the advice no doubt of a local Monk , an expert into that sort of thing.

He may have been planning on meeting the PM  but suspect that this will not happen due to him always wearing a white dress with that stupid hat so hence Prayut would be frightened of him only being a ghost. ????

The last sentence deserves a thumbs up????, the previous a so so. 

9 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

......or bad hat day !

Did anyone know there were almost 400,000 Catholics here. 

I know there are several churches in and close to Bangkok but almost 400k ?

I thought the churches were for expats.

I have never met a Thai catholic.

Maybe the TAT supplied these stats to lure in big spending Italians.(sic)

The Diocese of Chanthaburi has a congregation of 45,800 (as at 2016). 

The high school in Chanthaburi city has less than 100 Catholics in its 1500 pupils, a higher standard of education is the attraction. 

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Me for one. There is a sizable population in north east Issan. They are mainly refugees and their descendants who fled Vietnam during the war years there. They are now nationalised Thais.

The small town of Ban Don Chiang, on the north shore of Nong Han lake is almost entirely Roman Catholic.

Ban Don Chiang ,  a very relaxing place , to visit . 

1 hour ago, intherealworld said:

Ah that's the place.

The missus wanted to look inside, so went in, was told to remove my baseball cap. so refused and promptly walked out the door.

It sure was not  a Buddha site to me. missus was well annoyed with me.

but hey, my religion not hers.

Ps went to one of the kiosks just to the right, bought a beer Chang and waited for her to come out.

Always find a Bar, Inn, or Pub next to a church. 

even in Thailand. :giggle:

Your name is "in the real world" , your avatar looks like a cartoon and your post describes a grown man refusing to remove his hat in a place of worship . LOL . What is your age ?

3 minutes ago, Scutty said:

Your name is "in the real world" , your avatar looks like a cartoon and your post describes a grown man refusing to remove his hat in a place of worship . LOL . What is your age ?

Perhaps he's old enough not to be gullible about religion.

27 minutes ago, Scutty said:

Just when,  have we had to remove our hats in a catholic church ?

To me it's just more Bs from Thailand,  Mumbo Jumbo land. with a little bit of,  Bs Buddhism thrown in.

Maybe,  we had to have hats,  at one time in church ?

But Hey

Some people Eat Bs.

Some people Take Bs.

Some people Talk Bs.

Some people Reject Bs.

i know what three,  you are. :jap:

Ps, check out Trailer park boys for Avatar.

and yes i live in the real world, not La La land.

Archived