Chiang Mai: "Sleeping Beauty" dies after long illness following foot massage

webfact

Chiang Mai: "Sleeping Beauty" dies after long illness following foot massage

3pm.jpg
Thai caption: She's dead. "Pretty" victim of massage dies after long illness

A Chiang Mai woman who was dubbed "Sleeping Beauty" has died. 

Wirawan Ketkesee, 26, - a pretty or hospitality woman - had been in hospital since January after she had a miscarriage following a massage at a well known Chiang Mai department store. 

Chiang Mai News said she had had a foot massage on January 11th.

An uncle called Chaiwat Khamya, 54, said that Wirawan had failed to recover and had become brain dead. 

She died on Friday, said relatives. 

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-22

An inflammatory post has been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

5 hours ago, sweatalot said:

And what has that to do with the foot massage?

Koma because of foot massage? I doubt it 

Perhaps non sterile instruments used in a pedicure??? Because she had a foot massage before she went into a coma doesn't mean that the foot massage or whatever happened at the massage parlour caused it...it could be just a. coincidence.

5 hours ago, sweatalot said:

And what has that to do with the foot massage?

Koma because of foot massage? I doubt it 

I am not a doctor and don't play one on TV, but extreme medical reactions to massage in Thailand including death are not unheard of. I wouldn't automatically assume it was just a coincidence. The thing is massage in Thailand is often very intense (as opposed typical "relaxation" massage of the west), there usually aren't any medical questions or screening beforehand, and the skill level of the specific practitioners varies greatly. 

3 minutes ago, timendres said:

Seems to me the miscarriage is the more important detail in this story.

Yeah, maybe, but also maybe she should have been screened from getting such a massage in the first place in that condition?

1 hour ago, soistalker said:

Pregnant women.often develop blood clots and bad circulation in their legs and feet during pregnancy. A loosened blood clot can do a lot of damage.

Bingo!  And the elderly are also prone to having blood clots in their legs and feet that could be released during a massage.  I know people who have had strokes and blood clots travels to their lungs during Thai massages.

2 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Bingo!  And the elderly are also prone to having blood clots in their legs and feet that could be released during a massage.  I know people who have had strokes and blood clots travels to their lungs during Thai massages.

Thanks for that information.

Personally I think people over 60 should avoid Thai massages. 

19 minutes ago, NancyL said:

I also know of people who have had strokes and blood clots travel to their hearts who have NOT had Thai massages. So it is not only Thai massages that can cause blood clots to travel

I took my elderly aunt to the blind masseuse school,when she was

complaining about a bad back,when she came out,she said "Never

bring  me back here again,they were trying to kill me,she said it was

brutal. 

regards worgeordie

It sounds like there is more to this story that is not being told. She had a foot massage at a department store in January. She then had a miscarriage and lapsed into a coma and died in July. How come they have not released what the illness was that she was suffering from? One person on here says that anyone who wants a massage should be screened first. OK, So you want a massage then you must go to the doctors clinic and get a medical certificate to say what is wrong with you and take that to the massage shop for them to give you a massage and then you must do it again in a couple of days to get your next massage. The massage shops could have a medical form for their customers to fill in each time they visit the massage shop but how do you know if the customer is disclosing everything. The biggest problem is in Thailand that there are many shops that are not certified by the Ministry of Public Health and there are many girls that work in those shops that do not have any qualifications to do the massages and that is what needs to be cleaned up.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I am not a doctor and don't play one on TV, but extreme medical reactions to massage in Thailand including death are not unheard of. I wouldn't automatically assume it was just a coincidence. The thing is massage in Thailand is often very intense (as opposed typical "relaxation" massage of the west), there usually aren't any medical questions or screening beforehand, and the skill level of the specific practitioners varies greatly. 

It still begs the question of how a foot massage could lead to a list of problems beginning with a miscarriage, becoming brain dead, culminating in a failure to recover, resulting in death.

Ohh I had a 30 min foot massage yesterday and I fell asleep. Phewww lucky I woke up!

25 minutes ago, Benmart said:

Some of the TVF comments are as sad as the death of the poor lady.

Agreed! My previous post got deleted so won’t say anything further regarding that. 

To those who wonder what the foot massage has to do with it, take a look at google. 

The foot has certain areas where, if pressed long and hard enough it will lead to miscarriage (look at reflexology). A western style massage wouldn’t cause this but as others have pointed out, thai massages are brutal and it’s very possible that they did rub / pressed hard enough. 

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

They all don't have a happy ending????

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

I took my elderly aunt to the blind masseuse school,when she was

complaining about a bad back,when she came out,she said "Never

bring  me back here again,they were trying to kill me,she said it was

brutal. 

regards worgeordie

Did it fix her back? 

The massage that this poor lady had is not a Thai Massage but a Reflexology Massage that is used world wide and not just in Thailand. Part of the problem is with the massage shops which do not have certification and the workers not having the qualifications to perform the different massages because if the were qualified and the shop was certified then they would know the dangers of the different massages on the different people and it is not only pregnant people that the warnings are on. There are some which are strictly "NO MASSAGE" at all but the massage shop must rely on the customer to tell them what the problem is. Massage shops and their staff are not medically trained.  

11 minutes ago, NancyL said:

NancyL, There are no specially trained pregnancy therapists in Thailand and this poor woman had a Foot Massage which is a Reflexology Massage which is done by various pressure points on the soles of the feet and this is where the knowledge and training comes in as the Ministry of Public Health have warning notices for all the certified massage shops and it warns about the dangers of all massages for many different ailments including pregnancy. Unfortunately this poor lady did not go to a certified massage shop and she was not treated by a qualified masseuse or the massage would not have been done. This has cost the life of this poor lady and her baby.

It is extremely unlikely this had anything to do with the foot massage. Not saying it is impossible. But for a young, healthy woman to suffer these kinds of consequences from a foot massage? I just do not see that happening. It could have been caused by a hundred different things. 

Archived