Chiang Mai: "Sleeping Beauty" dies after long illness following foot massage

webfact

Many people go for therapeutic Thai massages. Half the problem is that they don't communicate with the masseuse. If the masseuse is manipulating you and it is painful, say so. Don't lie there squirming in agony. Tell them to be more gentle, (bao bao?)

Thai massage can be very beneficial or can be extremely painful under the wrong hands.

28 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is extremely unlikely this had anything to do with the foot massage. Not saying it is impossible. But for a young, healthy woman to suffer these kinds of consequences from a foot massage? I just do not see that happening. It could have been caused by a hundred different things. 

My wife is a qualified masseuse and she has said that yes this is possible but if the masseuse was properly trained and qualified she would know not to do a reflexology massage on this woman. It appears that there is 3 places on the soles of the feet and one of them if pressure is applied to would cause the miscarriage and the other problems which caused this woman and her baby to die. My wife will do a massage on a pregnant woman but it is not a reflexology massage  

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I am not a doctor and don't play one on TV, but extreme medical reactions to massage in Thailand including death are not unheard of. I wouldn't automatically assume it was just a coincidence. The thing is massage in Thailand is often very intense (as opposed typical "relaxation" massage of the west), there usually aren't any medical questions or screening beforehand, and the skill level of the specific practitioners varies greatly. 

And in many cases the massage person has very little to zero knowledge of anatomy etc.

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, maybe, but also maybe she should have been screened from getting such a massage in the first place in that condition?

At our local country temple they do massage and check blood pressure first. And yet, a 27 yr old Thai fellow died of heart attack during massage and this was with a lady who does not have the strength for strong massage. ?? coincidence?? I don't know? 

ps - they do not want to do massage on pregnant people or anyone who has had a recent operation. 

She died following the miscarriage. Doesn't that presume she died of the miscarriage, especially considering that it was the reason she was in hospital? How does one naturally go to the assumption that the foot massage killed her? A 2 second google search revealed that miscarriage can lead to septic shock which can lead to a coma and brain death. Is it possible that the author decided to report the story in a way that would make it more eye-catching. Could that kind of lack of journalistic integrity exist here? Umm

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:30 PM, Jingthing said:

The thing is massage in Thailand is often very intense (as opposed typical "relaxation" massage of the west), there usually aren't any medical questions or screening beforehand, and the skill level of the specific practitioners varies greatly. 

A foot massage is that "intense"?  Really?

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:31 PM, NancyL said:

Bingo!  And the elderly are also prone to having blood clots in their legs and feet that could be released during a massage.  I know people who have had strokes and blood clots travels to their lungs during Thai massages.

How many do you know that have had that happen during Thai massages?   I know lots of people that it has not happened to!  Bingo!

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:32 PM, Unbelievable101 said:

Agreed! My previous post got deleted so won’t say anything further regarding that. 

To those who wonder what the foot massage has to do with it, take a look at google. 

The foot has certain areas where, if pressed long and hard enough it will lead to miscarriage (look at reflexology). A western style massage wouldn’t cause this but as others have pointed out, thai massages are brutal and it’s very possible that they did rub / pressed hard enough. 

As reflexology has never been proved, scientifically or medically, to have any effect at all, how could it possibly cause a miscarriage?   Even if the quackery did work, how would someone having a normal foot massage be able to experience it?  As you so sagely said yourself, take a look at Google.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:24 PM, Russell17au said:

NancyL, There are no specially trained pregnancy therapists in Thailand and this poor woman had a Foot Massage which is a Reflexology Massage which is done by various pressure points on the soles of the feet and this is where the knowledge and training comes in as the Ministry of Public Health have warning notices for all the certified massage shops and it warns about the dangers of all massages for many different ailments including pregnancy. Unfortunately this poor lady did not go to a certified massage shop and she was not treated by a qualified masseuse or the massage would not have been done. This has cost the life of this poor lady and her baby.

"Unfortunately this poor lady did not go to a certified massage shop and she was not treated by a qualified masseuse or the massage would not have been done. This has cost the life of this poor lady and her baby".

What?  The foot massage has not been determined to be the cause of her death!

59 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

She died following the miscarriage. Doesn't that presume she died of the miscarriage, especially considering that it was the reason she was in hospital? How does one naturally go to the assumption that the foot massage killed her? A 2 second google search revealed that miscarriage can lead to septic shock which can lead to a coma and brain death. Is it possible that the author decided to report the story in a way that would make it more eye-catching. Could that kind of lack of journalistic integrity exist here? Umm

Could you post in smaller font, please, I'm having difficulty fitting your comment on my giant screen!

Archived