Fighting for justice: Dutch engineer with cancer interviewed by Thai media

webfact

Fighting for justice: Dutch engineer with cancer interviewed by Thai media

5pm1.jpg
Picture: Sanook

Sanook have interviewed former engineer Erwin Buse, 50, who has had a long running dispute with Hua Hin Hospital over charges.

Mr Buse, from the Netherlands, says that the hospital has overcharged him for each visit and slapped on a 15% surcharge just because he is not Thai. 

He is suffering from prostate cancer and has been treated at the hospital for 4 years. 

5pm2.jpg
Picture: Sanook

He says they should charge him 50 baht not 300 for his visits every three months. And they should not have added 15% to his bills. 

The health authorities have already found he was in the right and offered him 12,746 baht back. 

But he has declined and on Friday went to Hua Hin police to register a formal complaint. 

Mr Buse has a 200 kilometer round trip to the hospital. He has a Thai wife and tends goats in the Klong Wan area of Prajuab Khiri Khan. 

Source: Sanook

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The authorities offered him a kind of compensation, that he refused. What more do they have to do for pleasing this man?

They are never going to give him money for his round trips to the hospital. That is something he would have been doing anyway.

What does he want? A gold medal for fierce fighting against the Thai system? Good luck, dude!

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The health authorities have already found he was in the right and offered him 12,746 baht back. 

But he has declined and on Friday went to Hua Hin police to register a formal complaint

Typical Thai: rip people off and when caught offer to repay the amount ripped off. So they can leave it behind them and continue ripping off the next.

Good of him to file a formal complaint, wish more people stood up for their priciples, it would make the country a lot better.

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

What does he want? A gold medal for fierce fighting against the Thai system? Good luck, dude

In another thread about hospital pricing everyone is complaining about them making a profit off the most vulnerable people in their worst situation.

Now someone stands up against being unlawfully ripped off and again its not good.

What do you want? Just complaining in every situation and never doing anything besides complaining?

8 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

In another thread about hospital pricing everyone is complaining about them making a profit off the most vulnerable people in their worst situation.

Now someone stands up against being unlawfully ripped off and again its not good.

What do you want? Just complaining in every situation and never doing anything besides complaining?

No, that´s not at all what I want. I think it´s really good that he stood up, and was earlier shown in the news for that, when he was offered the compensation. Here he should have accepted that one, and the news were already out. What he is doing now, by refusing the compensation and continuing to complain is only childish behaviour.

33 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

No, that´s not at all what I want. I think it´s really good that he stood up, and was earlier shown in the news for that, when he was offered the compensation. Here he should have accepted that one, and the news were already out. What he is doing now, by refusing the compensation and continuing to complain is only childish behaviour.

I think we have completely different opinions on what constitutes "childish behavior".

If he accepted the 13k the issue would be over. He is not accepting it so the formal complaint is taken more serious and the hospital can be held accountable for ripping off people.

Its not about him or 13000 baht anymore, its about a huge institution thinking they can just charge whatever they want. His approach made this a much bigger issue than what it was if he accepted the money.

Nothing childish about that, more brave.

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

The authorities offered him a kind of compensation, that he refused. What more do they have to do for pleasing this man?

They are never going to give him money for his round trips to the hospital. That is something he would have been doing anyway.

What does he want? A gold medal for fierce fighting against the Thai system? Good luck, dude!

His justice may not meet my or your definition, and since I didn't pay any of his hospital bills, I leave it to him, the government and the hospital to work it out. He made no mention of any "gold medals", so that thought seems to have no merit.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

The childish behavior seems to be in your own words. The of the words "he should, are worthless, unless you are in charge of sonething related to him or the hospital.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

someone who is standing up and not whining on their keyboards. a true hero.

good luck to you in your battle with cancer and the rip off Thais.

true a hero guess these pricks are jealous its not them

Most hospitals in Thailand have duel pricing. As an example last year my Thai wife wanted to visit a well known Pattaya hospital for a "well woman" series of tests as part of a package that the hospital offered. I searched the hospital's website in english and told her how much it was. She was surprised how expensive it was. She then accessed the same website and looked at the same package but in Thai language and found that it was about 50% cheaper. This is just one brazen example of what hospitals get up too.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

No, it is not.

It is called being steadfast.

He has a valid reason to walk this path, so he does, simply because he wants hospitals NOT to overcharge.

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Just be a bit thankful that he is at least prepared in principle to fight for all farangs' good cause - that of not being unfairly over-charged.

"a kind of compensation"?

You mean a type of compensation? Presumably he is after the right kind of compensation - one that will make them think before ripping off foreigners again again!

57 minutes ago, Benmart said:

The childish behavior seems to be in your own words. The of the words "he should, are worthless, unless you are in charge of sonething related to him or the hospital.

So my opinion is worthless, and yours stand above the rest.

The article says he's fighting for justice. Lets hope you don't get sick yourself and get ripped off because of the color of your skin or nationality.

3 minutes ago, sambum said:

"a kind of compensation"?

You mean a type of compensation? Presumably he is after the right kind of compensation - one that will make them think before ripping off foreigners again again!

Seems to me you understood what I meant, why all the ?-marks

Whist i applaud his stand, hes won hes got his overcharge back!

However i am, personally  not really understanding the continued fight .

Guess i would have taken the money and ran also its highly unlikely they will overcharge him again

7 minutes ago, bimmerbob said:

Just be a bit thankful that he is at least prepared in principle to fight for all farangs' good cause - that of not being unfairly over-charged.

Yeah, like that´s gonna work? One man fighting for all, in Thailand? Here there must be everyone fighting for one goal to succeed. Now it´s up to all that read about them to react same for making a change.

12 minutes ago, hansnl said:

No, it is not.

It is called being steadfast.

He has a valid reason to walk this path, so he does, simply because he wants hospitals NOT to overcharge.

A One Man Band. Great! He´s going for a goal that is impossible.

This may make prayut listen, it isn't only taxi drivers that rip us off in compassionate Thailand. The man has courage and walks the walk. I dare say he will now get more compensation to make this go away and the hospital may get prosecuted into the bargain. Maybe, just maybe, Prayut will now let deeds follow his words for once.

The man has cancer.  How about some respect and compassion for a fellow human being.

He has every right to be treated equally to a Thai person.

He is doing excellent work so that the concerned hospital and other hospitals stop ripping foreigners. 

Most of them send you for this and that test which are not required. If you have throat infection, some hospital doc will get Dengue test also which is THB3000++. Of course symtums are totally different but the BS doc will puzzle you. This is also rip off method with unnecessary test.

17 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

One Man Band. Great! He´s going for a goal that is impossible.

The only one man band is you and your negative and uncaring attitude.  Nothing is impossible if you are in the right.

Just now, Thaidream said:

The man has cancer.  How about some respect and compassion for a fellow human being.

He has every right to be treated equally to a Thai person.

What are you on about. I´ve never even mentioned anything about his cancer. Never said that he shouldn´t be treated like a human beeing and be equally treated. If he want that, then accept the compensation. Never said he can not file a formal complaint either. Of course he should, but that can be done even with accepting the compensation.

Archived