Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Fighting for justice: Dutch engineer with cancer interviewed by Thai media

Recommended Posts

Brave Man. I hope that you recover or keep the cancer at bay...ignore some of the idiots on here...keyboard warriors all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

For those few of you that have comprehension difficulties, they have offered him  back  the money they have overcharged him, not compensation, I personally think he should try to take them for anything he can, hospitals were recently required by the government to publish their charges for treatment,drugs & associated costs, seems as though these rascals have been caught with their collective trousers down.

If you have a look at the date on the bill it is from 2558 and this is 2562 so it is from 4 years ago and like you have said that the hospitals were RECENTLY required by the government to publish their charges. His bills are from well before this requirement but this could be a good thing but then it could be a not so good thing for all farang as this could lead to compulsory health insurance for all farang so that they are all charged the same for the services but then the cost of the health insurance would be out of reach for many of the old farangs that live here. This has already come in for those on "A-O" visa's but it could go to all visa's. But even in Australia foreigners pay more than locals for medical services because they do not pay into the Medicare system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is good example how they rip-of you.

Coincidently is was about 2 years ago and visit the same hospital in Huahin to h ave a fat bump removed what wasgoing to an inflammation.

the doctor said it was easy to remove but first lets talk about the costs.

okay 10000 tbh. What did you say 10000 thb??

so my answer was: never mind I have to find another solution.

But it had to be negotiated, and after much hassle they agreed to 5000thb. Also I say I don’t like to pay 1bath extra.

after they get me angree again because at the counter the bill was again more, not to much but not in accordance with the agreement.

And I was forgot I have to come back to check the wound, and have to pay again.

Believe me they have the name of hospital but they sitting only to rip off you.

And I mentioned this before after the tsunami the prices of the hospitals have gone skyrocket high, and then in particular this hospital, both in Phuket or in Huahin.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thailand could always deport him and blacklist him for naming and shaming one of the profitable scams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man's not interested in 13k refund he is making a call to action for every other foreigner who could be facing the same overcharge to step up.

 

Lot of continuity potential to this story and if the medical board see a fault in this case.

 

The question becomes how many more???

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My god, you are complaining about 300 baht every 3 months????? That’s an insane deal for treating prostate cancer. He should be so lucky. Try $30k usd per treatment in the US.

 

Wake up folks, if you are not a Thai citizen, you should not be able to pay the same low rates that Thais do. You are lucky enough that they let you live here. 

 

Some people are so cheap. It’s embarrassing. No wonder the Thai gov wants to kick us out 

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Rocket Hawks said:

My god, you are complaining about 300 baht every 3 months????? That’s an insane deal for treating prostate cancer. He should be so lucky. Try $30k usd per treatment in the US.

 

Wake up folks, if you are not a Thai citizen, you should not be able to pay the same low rates that Thais do. You are lucky enough that they let you live here. 

 

Some people are so cheap. It’s embarrassing. No wonder the Thai gov wants to kick us out 

 

This guy sounds like a nut-job, probably sticky-sh1t also.

 

In recent years I've known quite a few older (60's-70's) farang guys go back to Europe, healthcare was a factor for all of them.

Edited by Andrew65

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

If you have a look at the date on the bill it is from 2558 and this is 2562 so it is from 4 years ago and like you have said that the hospitals were RECENTLY required by the government to publish their charges. His bills are from well before this requirement but this could be a good thing but then it could be a not so good thing for all farang as this could lead to compulsory health insurance for all farang so that they are all charged the same for the services but then the cost of the health insurance would be out of reach for many of the old farangs that live here. This has already come in for those on "A-O" visa's but it could go to all visa's. But even in Australia foreigners pay more than locals for medical services because they do not pay into the Medicare system.

I don't see the connection between overcharging and the need for insurance.

If you cannot afford the insurance then you certainly can't afford the hospital bill if you get seriously I'll or injured. So why take the risk of staying?

In the UK, everyone gets charged the same in private hospitals which, as in Thailand are commercial enterprises. NHS hospitals are paid for out of our taxes so some foreigners are charged the full cost of treatment.

I presume he was either treated in a private hospital or should be charged as a Thai due to his status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chang1 said:

I don't see the connection between overcharging and the need for insurance.

If you cannot afford the insurance then you certainly can't afford the hospital bill if you get seriously I'll or injured. So why take the risk of staying?

In the UK, everyone gets charged the same in private hospitals which, as in Thailand are commercial enterprises. NHS hospitals are paid for out of our taxes so some foreigners are charged the full cost of treatment.

I presume he was either treated in a private hospital or should be charged as a Thai due to his status.

It is not a case of being able to afford health insurance but once you reach 70 it is near impossible to get insurance and if you do find it their premiums are that high it is beyond many farangs reach. The connection is that the hospitals complained about the farangs not paying their bills so the government changed the requirements for the "A-O" visa to start with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, chang1 said:

I don't see the connection between overcharging and the need for insurance.

If you cannot afford the insurance then you certainly can't afford the hospital bill if you get seriously I'll or injured. So why take the risk of staying?

In the UK, everyone gets charged the same in private hospitals which, as in Thailand are commercial enterprises. NHS hospitals are paid for out of our taxes so some foreigners are charged the full cost of treatment.

I presume he was either treated in a private hospital or should be charged as a Thai due to his status.

Medical care is a human right- until all countries realise this- places like the US and Thailand will continue to treat people differently.  Thailand could easily allow long stay foreigners to purchase into the Thai Medical System via Thai Social Security then there would be no ability by the Hospitals to try and capitalize on such inequality.

 

No Hospital should ever be allowed to profit off the illness of another nor should any  Pharmasecutical Company.  Also, throw in Insurance which exists only to profit from a person's misery.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, khunJeroen said:

Guess no insurance either.

Don't make comments like that when you have no knowledge. Try getting insurance when you have cancer - its possible but you are looking at premiums 10X what everyone else pays even though the cancer is excluded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, if I see a doctor in the hospital for fever, as a tourist, I will be charged same as a local?

I understand there are no small clinics.

Just checking as I intent to retire in Thailand soon. TY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...