BANGKOK
webfact

Fighting for justice: Dutch engineer with cancer interviewed by Thai media

6 hours ago, chang1 said:

If everyone had this attitude Thai hospitals would soon end up as bad as those in the US. 

Do you really think he is getting $30k of treatment for 300 Baht?

He is getting charged 300 baht for a "visit"  - a Thai would pay 50baht - that is what the fuss is about - plus the 15% for who knows what (VAT?) 

4 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Medical treatment is not included in the Bill of Human Rights and there is no mention of finance in the Hippocratic Oath.

However often you repeat this stuff, its just not true.

Call Bill Gates, he runs a fund that's meant to change the world.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Thaidream said:

There is such a thing as Non Profit- meaning one can charge for the expense of running the hospital and the staff are paid reasonable wages.  The Hospital and or provider  files their taxes as a non profit institution.

People who go into medicine take an Oath to do no harm and that includes not pricing the average person out of the market for healthcare.  There are way too many involved in medicine that see it as a get rich scheme and do not really care about the ill.

As far as drug companies- most receive grants from the Government for research and development or  are completely funded by a Government Pharmaceutical Organization.

The problem is that Big Pharma not only wanbts the grants but wants to chage extortionmate prices for live saving medicines.

Thro in the fact that there is an unholy alliance bewteen Big Pharma; For Profit Hospitals and Insurance and the only loser is the patient.

Medical care is a basic human right.  Too many people have been brainwashed by the For Profit medical industryinto believing that it is a privledge.  It is not- it is a right= All people have the right to live.

Until Governments Worldwide stop the insanity of allowing for profit medicine and the loose regulation of Big Pharma patients will die from lack of funds and proper treatment.  xountries like the UK; Japan; and most of the EU have had non profit and universal healthcare for decades.  It works

"xountries like the UK; Japan; and most of the EU have had non profit and universal healthcare for decades.  It works"

Indeed it does (at least for the moment in the UK, and it has done for years - I don't know about anywhere else)

But, without getting political, there are certain parties/organisations/companies that would like to see the NHS dismantled/put into private hands - and all the profit that goes with it - for obvious reasons!

The topic is "Fighting For Justice", and one might well see the same headlines in the Uk. or the other countries that have been mentioned unless someone (?) puts a brake on this "medicine for profit" scenario.

Thailand boasts of its  standard of medical care but at  what price? When someone goes into a hospital with  a minor abrasion and gets charged 19,000 baht for ONE stitch, and doesn't complain because the insurance will pay for it, then the problem can only get worse. 

Consequently, I applaud this Dutch guy and his stand - 500 baht for a visit may well escalate to 5000 baht for a visit if left unchecked. I personally know of one "farang" lady that was charged 4000 baht for a doctor to just say "Hello!" (OK - it was in a private hospital) before he would even make an examination! And after an overnight stay, and various "tests" there was no positive diagnosis, and as she was feeling better the following morning, she checked out (with a few overpriced painkillers) and the problem resolved itself the same day - no doubt if she'd stayed in, there would have been further "tests" at exorbitant prices and therein lies another problem  - if this hospital (Chain) can charge such high prices on the back of Insurance claims, then the cost of Insurance rockets.so that it is beyond the ability of many people to afford it.

For example, the annual cost of Health Insurance for a 70+ year old ex pat in Thailand can be in excess of 100,000 baht per annum - completely out of the reach of many people, and when you factor in the "pre existing conditions" clauses, completely worthless in many cases.

The answer (IMHO) is to have (private) hospitals reined in regarding their blatant overcharges as in the case in question, and a body set up to constantly monitor the situation - not just pay up a bit of "compo" when they are found out, but substantial fines passed out when necessary , and the income from such fines passed down to the Government Hospitals, that in my experience are doing a sterling job with limited resources. 

Edited by sambum
  • Thanks 2

I do feel sorry for Mr Buse.

He has to go to Immi to get his renewal.

I wonder how that will turn out.

If he lives in Prajuab Kiri Khan, how is it a 200Km round trip to Hua Hin ?

20 hours ago, khunJeroen said:

This is so weird. Regardless of his condition why would you even care they charge 300 THB per 3 months visit or even if it was 3000? Maybe if its 30K he may have a point. Guess no insurance either.

it's a matter of principle,the people should also reject the "special" pricing for foreigners.this system sucks

• Thanks 1

Sirikit Hospital in Ban Kilo Sip does the same.

Tell you right to your face "farangs pay double".

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pattayahenry said:

millions of thais have less money than falang. double pricing supports the poor. every thai accepts this. that guy should be more careful. if he continues to make problems they just cancel his visa and deport him. they must not give any reason.

Based on your analogy prices should be based on what you can afford, an interesting and flawed way of looking at it i suggest. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lucifer666 said:

If he lives in Prajuab Kiri Khan, how is it a 200Km round trip to Hua Hin ?

It's a province as well as a town.

• Haha 1

Yup he lives close ..ish to me just outside PKK I believe, and  its about 100km each way to HH

23 hours ago, chang1 said:

I don't see the connection between overcharging and the need for insurance.

If you cannot afford the insurance then you certainly can't afford the hospital bill if you get seriously I'll or injured. So why take the risk of staying?

In the UK, everyone gets charged the same in private hospitals which, as in Thailand are commercial enterprises. NHS hospitals are paid for out of our taxes so some foreigners are charged the full cost of treatment.

I presume he was either treated in a private hospital or should be charged as a Thai due to his status.

Hauhin hospital is a government hospital so why foreigners expect to pay the bills same as Thai. Even in EU and US cann't do that for foreigners. 

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Traubert said:

Medical treatment is not included in the Bill of Human Rights and there is no mention of finance in the Hippocratic Oath.

However often you repeat this stuff, its just not true.

Call Bill Gates, he runs a fund that's meant to change the world.

Then apparently you do not believe medical care is a human right?  However- most Western countries do as they provide medical care at no or little cost to their citizens and residents.

Uhe univeresal statement of rights  and most constitutions indicate people have a right to life.  How can they live if medical care is beyond their ability to pay?

• Like 2

I suppose he is lucky to be offered a refund of sorts.take the money and run,you know they is dbl pricing in Thailand that will never change.

On 7/22/2019 at 4:28 PM, kcpattaya said:

I hope his goats have more brain cells....

than  you?