Fears grow for missing Spanish tourist after search called off in Koh Samui

webfact

Fears grow for missing Spanish tourist after search called off in Koh Samui

427881.jpg
Picture: Naew Na

Naew Na reported that around 50 police and rescue officials conducted a search for a Spanish tourist lost in the area of the Na Muang 2 waterfall on Koh Samui. 

"Leed" had phoned the 1155 Tourist Police hotline to report that he was lost. He said he was hungry and thirsty before his phone went dead. 

In difficult hilly and slippery conditions - made treacherous by the dark and rain - the rescue team searched for 2 hours before calling it off for the night. 

They planned to resume the search this morning. 

The tourist's rented motorcycle has been found parked on a track. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-22

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No GPS on his phone?

This is my mobile; no internet connection. 1000 baht. ????

When I lived on Koh Samui, that’s what I had with me whenever I went walking up in the hills, along with plenty of water and food.

Someone I knew, a very clever wealthy man, had an expensive phone with GPS. It also counted his steps to make sure he did his 10,000. One day when on a walk, we had a break at a little restaurant up in the hills. He popped out ‘to see a man about a dog’. When he came back, we set off again, and then he realised he’d left his phone in the toilet. He rushed back but someone else had in the meantime acquired it.

That’s why I don’t spend good money on an all-singing, super-duper phone. You either drop them or lose them.

Anyway, I do hope they find this young man soon. Fingers crossed.

4D1819E2-D872-4DE8-BA52-F34873741F89.jpeg

5 hours ago, Noob81 said:

It's next to impossible to get lost on Koh Samui these days unless it's dark or you break legs while exploring some overgrown jungle trail. They probably found him already

Apparently you never visited Namuang subdistrict. 

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's 3,000bht for a smartphone with GPS.

Greetings and thank you for the advice ????

But that’s an extra 50 quid for something I know that I am going to break or lose every few months. The hills are alive ... but not with wifi, so you’ve got monthly payments on top too. These days, I am only a poor farang, made poorer by life’s adventures in Thailand over the last 7 years.

I no longer live on Samui to it seems my hiking days are over.. Anyway, I have grown attached to my mobile, which was bought in the days when a 1000 baht note was still worth £20. It bounces very well when I drop it. I have misplaced it several times, but it always turns up again.

I have a ‘wifi only’ iPad. If I get lost on one of my road trips or in a strange town, I just find a cafe for a shot of caffeine and use of their wifi and catch up on my emails or the latest news as well as checking google maps. I take life at a more leisurely pace. It’s no big deal if I get a bit lost sometimes.

But of course, these are very different circumstances for this poor young man who must now be very frightened, tired and hungry after a long night on a strange hillside. As, presumably, a short term tourist, he did well to have a mobile with a Thai sim card in, although sadly it wasn’t fully charged, and the number of the tourist police.

Warm and positive thoughts that he will soon be found.

Spanish tourist lost in Samui’s forest found alive

Namuang-2-waterfall.jpg

(Photo) Na Muang 2 Waterfall by Koh Samui City

Pol. Col. Kritsana Pattanacharoen, deputy police spokesman, said that Spanish tourist Mr. Luis Cabello Ortega, 57, who got lost in the forest of Na Muang Mountain on Samui Island, has been found, safe and sound by villagers and has been returned to his hotel in Tambon Bor Pud.

Pol Col Kritsana reported that the Spaniard lost his way in the forests around Na Muang 2 Waterfall at around 7.50pm on Sunday. He was able to notify the police by phone but later lost communication. Police officers and rescue workers could only find his motorcycle, in front of the entrance to the waterfall. They tried to search for him but were forced to stop by heavy rains and darkness at 11.45pm on Sunday.

Mr. Ortega said he enjoyed the scenery and kept walking up the higher levels of the waterfall only to realize that he was lost.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/spanish-tourist-lost-in-samuis-forest-found-alive/

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Go on, I'll be the first: Will the authorities responsible for administering the forest be fined by immigration, as I assume they didn't report him as staying overnight on their premises?

They will fine the foreigner as the Thais are never held responsible. 

Pol Col Kritsana reported that the Spaniard lost his way in the forests around Na Muang 2 Waterfall at around 7.50pm on Sunday.

Anyone probably would have lost their way at that time; after all, it was dark by then.

Why didn't the Spaniard turn back, say around 6:00-6:30pm, when it's obvious the sun was setting soon?

17 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Mind your own business, please. 

Theres only two pages in this thread and the first page clearly stated he was found already. So I think his post was sort of justified.

Archived