Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Police extend probe into case of gang using kids to beg

Recommended Posts

Police extend probe into case of gang using kids to beg

By The Nation

 

800_3b3f4f014f54225.jpg?v=1563770425

 

Police extended their investigation into a case in which a human-trafficking gang allegedly paid Myanmar construction workers’ children Bt60 each to beg for money on the streets of Chiang Mai, following the rescue of 10 children from rented rooms in Muang district on Saturday, Chiang Mai deputy superintendent Pol Colonel Teerpol Intharalip said.

 

As the children were safely placed in a state shelter, police extended the probe to uncover the elusive suspects, including the mastermind of the whole scheme, he said.

 

Saturday’s raid on rented rooms in Tambon Tha Sala led to the arrest of two teens. Chiang Rai resident Udon Jayer, 19, was held over charges of reaping benefit from begging and harbouring illegal immigrants or helping them escape arrest, and a 16-year-old girl from the province was arrested on charges of using children as a tool in begging and begging on streets. 

 

67099789_349360249293356_815380105559592

 

During the raid, six suspects, including two men and two women aged 20-43, were also arrested for illegally staying in Thailand. Police at the time couldn't establish what their nationalities were.

 

The raid stemmed from an earlier operation that saw police round up three Myanmar women aged 29, 32 and 58 while they were taking three children aged 2, 4, and 7 to reportedly beg at a fresh market in Muang Chiang Mai. The adults were charged for using children as a tool in begging and begging on streets. 

 

67190384_552857565249146_716895079962666

 

The investigation found the gang used children to beg at various spots in the northern city from the afternoon until midnight each day, before returning them home. The money was split among those involved. 

 

Officers were able to pinpoint the location for the raid thanks to public complaints that a group of people had rented a place and were staying there with many children, whom they took out daily to beg on the streets.

 

As the filing of human-trafficking charges would require further screening and investigation, police initially went after the group under immigration offences and the Beggar Control Act BE 2559 (2016). The latter makes begging on the streets an offence punishable by a maximum jail term of one month and/or a maximum fine of Bt10,000, while the penalty for traffickers and those seeking to benefit from begging is a maximum prison term of three years and a maximum fine of Bt30,000.

 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373365

 

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-07-22
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Thais have been using kids to beg, sell flowers etc for years and nothing has ever been done about it.

At least they cleaned up the drugged up amputees with fresh wounds from the streets of Bangkok. That was hard to look at.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Shouldn't really post this story, Might give the NIgerian scammers a new idea

Edited by RichardColeman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happens everywhere in the world unfortunately... Even in so-called developed countries

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fishtank said:

Thais have been using kids to beg, sell flowers etc for years and nothing has ever been done about it.

Restricted occupation... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mind shattering news, it's great the Nation is on the ball and upto date on these things. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thai culture. Thai bosses controlling it !!!

Last Friday I was with my son of 22 and several friends on Nana's Sukhumvit soi 4. In the 2 hours we were staying there we have seen over 50 small boys begging for money. 

 

Around midnight my son and a Thai friend talked with a little boy who didn't know his age. We thought he was about 4 years old and begging for money because he didn't eat for 5 days. My son just took him around the corner to treat him for a burger meal at Mc D. Together with the Thai friend we all discovered that he was about 6 years old and already on the BKK streets since he was 0. He didn't have a mom but had some Thai uncles, aunts etc... He was send to the streets to beg for money. If he did not have 1000 THB for the night he would not get any food. Big police was friend from uncle... When we were at McD 2 of his brothers showed up, both hungry as hell. We also treated them. While sitting there, 2 police entered. Boys were very scared, saying boss, boss here. They went straight to our table. My son trying to record this on his phone was hit by the police with a bat. His phone was badly damaged he couldn't use it any more. He's now back in Europe and maybe he has some recordings. Staff of McD and police ordered us to go or we would be arrested for trespassing. We had to go. The kids went with the police... Back to soi 4 !!!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Tops said:

Thai culture. Thai bosses controlling it !!!

Last Friday I was with my son of 22 and several friends on Nana's Sukhumvit soi 4. In the 2 hours we were staying there we have seen over 50 small boys begging for money. 

 

Around midnight my son and a Thai friend talked with a little boy who didn't know his age. We thought he was about 4 years old and begging for money because he didn't eat for 5 days. My son just took him around the corner to treat him for a burger meal at Mc D. Together with the Thai friend we all discovered that he was about 6 years old and already on the BKK streets since he was 0. He didn't have a mom but had some Thai uncles, aunts etc... He was send to the streets to beg for money. If he did not have 1000 THB for the night he would not get any food. Big police was friend from uncle... When we were at McD 2 of his brothers showed up, both hungry as hell. We also treated them. While sitting there, 2 police entered. Boys were very scared, saying boss, boss here. They went straight to our table. My son trying to record this on his phone was hit by the police with a bat. His phone was badly damaged he couldn't use it any more. He's now back in Europe and maybe he has some recordings. Staff of McD and police ordered us to go or we would be arrested for trespassing. We had to go. The kids went with the police... Back to soi 4 !!!

What a shame. There must be some reputable NGO that might be interested in this that you could report it to anonymously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have heard from more than one Thai person that a van in Chiang Mai goes to busy outside markets, and when a shopping mother isn't looking they snatch her child, throws him/her into the van and drives off, and Mama never sees her child again.  If the child is not raking in enough money, the gang chops off an arm or leg to gain more sympathy from passers by to get more money. 

Amputating a child's extremity(ies) for money!!! Can there be any lower life form in the human pool?  And now this story says the police are in on the take? Does anyone anywhere here in the LOS regulate crooked cops? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, intherealworld said:

Behind every gang operating in Thailand you will find a local at the helm.

just need to dig deep enough. 

Easy to blame the Thais for everything but there is a big community of Burmese and Lao people up in the north, and many of them operate in gangs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JulesMad said:

Happens everywhere in the world unfortunately... Even in so-called developed countries

The article is about Thailand. Focus.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...