Typical bribe sizing?

Mick501

Girlfriend's brother was arrested with a personal use amount of weed in Bangkok.  His options were to cough up a 10000b bribe, or straight to the big house to await whatever processes followed.  

Curious us as to the experience of others, and whether the 10000b was typical, or just poor negotiation?

• Haha 2

It seems to depend on the season.

I remember a couple of years ago when the PM decided to have his war against drugs.

The brother of a women I knew (not my gf) was arrested because he had a police drug records from years ago. And the police had a quota: You have to arrest x drug dealers so they arrested anybody who could possibly fit.

I don't remember how much he paid but I think it was a lot more than the amount you mention.

I guess at other times, with no immediate quota to fulfill, it will be cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Girlfriend paid it out of her monthly allowance.  Guess it's not impossible that it was an attempted scam, but she was certainly frantic enough over an extended period where she was unable to communicate with her brother.  Worthy of an Oscar if it wasn't genuine.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, varun said:

2) Have you verified that this "brother" is actually the brother and not an ex or even husband?

3) Have you considered that this could be an elaborate scam on your GF's part to make you part with 10,000 (assuming you did pay it)

Have you considered that not every girl's brother is actually her husband.

Yes, these cases exist, but it's irrelevant for this thread.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Is not impossible, i've heard of other Thai people who paid similar.

But why did your GF pay for it? If he expected this to happen, maybe he paid just 5000 THB and told your GF it's 10k (or maybe wasn't caught at all, after paying a bribe there is no proof that this really happened)

• Like 2

Well obviously he had the gear on him so the only question is whether he was given up or not. If it was a legit pinch, what price do you put on not being on remand in Thailand? Plus the ongoing hassles of potentially court, the nick and even barred from Thailand? 

Early 90's you could get someone knocked for 10000 yet I personally know someone who paid 20000 not long ago to beat a drink driving blue. Point being, on the day, if I was carrying drugs in the kingdom got caught and was given an out I would do my best to bargain down. But definitely would take the pay and walk option. Under 500 bucks to beat a drug pinch in Thailand? Maybe over the odds but do you really want to argue the toss?

Edited by starky
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 12:59 PM, Mick501 said:

Not sure of the amount but likely one or two joints.   The 10000b was paid and he walked.

No Thai pays 10K for a joint, or two. Wake up. Now after reading your new story with the big bust, you seem to make yourself to an ATM clown. 

In your new story there were kilos found. Don't you think that the brother is her lover and she uses the same money he spends?

Run, buddy, run. 

Edited by Isaanbiker