Anybody getting 1000Mbps from 3bb?

marcusarelus

I switched from 500/500 to 1000/100 because it was only a few hundred baht more per month.  Got home from the 3bb office and tried it and only was getting 600 or 700Mbps.  Later at night it got up to 1000 with an average of 900. 

In the daytime it drops down to 600. 

I called 3bb and they sent a tech out who did the usual stuff trying to say it was my equipment till I asked him to test his laptop and he got the same numbers.  Not understanding what I said about my equipment functioned last night at 900/1000 he replaced my router (I have another one in bridge mode for wifi).  Nothing changed with his new router (big surprise).  Tomorrow the engineer (above a tech) comes out to check it.  Does anyone else have 3bb 1000/100 and does it work all the time?    

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same situation here. I call, they come, blame my equipment until they use their own laptop, change the router, tell me it's okay now. As soon as they leave, back to the same situation I had before they came. I've gotten tired of calling them. I must be at the end of the line or something. Most of the signal is used by the time it gets to me.

I hate to spoil the mood, but why would a private internet user (assumed) spend money on upgrading from xxx/xxx Mbit/s to 1000/100?

What for? What do you expect to achieve?

1 Gbit/s to the desktop.

German government has promised to supply nationwide minimum of 50 Mbit/s (0.05 Gbit/s) within the next few years.

Super high quality 4k(!) videos require 25 Mbit/s minimum.

Most ethernet adapters at PCs are limited to 1 Gbit/s.

1 Gbit/s over the air is a lab experiment.

Practical use of overseas connections will never supply 1 Gbit/s for a private user on shared lines. And only speed test servers will supply such rate steadily.

3BB like others love to advertise high numbers and oversell.

What will happen now is that the technician wants to keep face knowing that he won't be able to guarantee you 24/7 test results.

To spare your nerves: suggest 3BB to downgrade back to 500/500 and refund paid extra amounts. It's just the push of a button for them.

I recently switched from ToT (who supplied 50 Mbit/s for the last few years) to 3BB.

When asked what package: 100/100 for 590 (plus tax), six months for 50% as changing from ToT.

I get perfect 100/100 and it will take long until I (two PCs, one smartphone) and the other smartphone (youtube) users in the family will bring this to the edge.

Assuming your router and PC card are domestic grade then they probably only support 1Gbps as a theoretical maximum anyway. So you probably wont be getting that much in practice at all.

Who needs it anyway? I certainly don't.

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I hate to spoil the mood, but why would a private internet user (assumed) spend money on upgrading from xxx/xxx Mbit/s to 1000/100?

What for? What do you expect to achieve?

1 Gbit/s to the desktop.

German government has promised to supply nationwide minimum of 50 Mbit/s (0.05 Gbit/s) within the next few years.

Most ethernet adapters at PCs are limited to 1 Gbit/s.

1 Gbit/s over the air is a lab experiment.

Practical use of overseas connections will never supply 1 Gbit/s for a private user on shared lines. And only speed test servers will supply such rate steadily.

3BB like others love to advertise high numbers and oversell.

What will happen now is that the technician wants to keep face knowing that he won't be able to guarantee you 24/7 test results.

To spare your nerves: suggest 3BB to downgrade back to 500/500 and refund paid extra amounts. It's just the push of a button for them.

I recently switched from ToT (who supplied 50 Mbit/s for the last few years) to 3BB.

When asked what package: 100/100 for 590 (plus tax), six months for 50% as changing from ToT.

I get perfect 100/100 and it will take long until I (two PCs, one smartphone) and the other smartphone (youtube) users in the family will bring this to the edge.

If I may say so a rather typical Thai visa user.  Not answering the question and providing a critique that was wholly unasked for nor appreciated.   So I guess if I was the typical Thai Visa user I'd take the bait.  But I'm not.  A. Typical Thai Visa user.  

25 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Assuming your router and PC card are domestic grade then they probably only support 1Gbps as a theoretical maximum anyway. So you probably wont be getting that much in practice at all.

Who needs it anyway? I certainly don't.

I do.  Nuff said.  Below is a minute ago.

test.png

I am sure in the fine print of your contract,you will find....UP TO 1000 Mbps.

which is only good for connections inside Thailand,connecting overseas there

is a huge decrease.

regards Worgeordie

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

I am sure in the fine print of your contract,you will find....UP TO 1000 Mbps.

which is only good for connections inside Thailand,connecting overseas there

is a huge decrease.

regards Worgeordie

When I was using 500/500 from 3bb I got 500.  Don't see any reason they would change policy for 1000.  I am also getting about 300Mbps Wifi and I think it can go to 839 so says the Router manual.  The nPerf test is quite extensive on the phone checking download of major sites and videos to give you a score to compare with other companies like True and TOT and AIS.

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

TRUE are now offering 1 Gbps,,,,,i think they just pull these

numbers out of their.............

regards Worgeordie

That's why I posted the speed test so you all could see it is not just pulled out of ........  1810 seems rather fast.  I'm still only getting 500 or so on my wife though and I think that should go up to 830.

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

That's why I posted the speed test so you all could see it is not just pulled out of ........

From where to where, definitely not to an overseas server

regards worgeordie

On 7/22/2019 at 2:31 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Unless you use a VPN and stream from other countries, then that quote falls flat on its face. Theres tons of reasons to want a connection this fast.

OP:

I think the speeds shown are about all you can ask for during peak times. Internet co's dont care about actual numbers. They just quote 'nominal' type numbers and explain in the fine print that its only a best case situation. 

That said, Id take a 1000mbps connection any day, and if True makes it available in my area Id take it in a heartbeat. 

14 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

From where to where, definitely not to an overseas server

regards worgeordie

Do you know of any company who rates speed by a server 9000 miles overseas?  Of course not.  I know the point is to always make things Thai look bad but servers are always rated the same as 3bb in any other country. 

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Do you know of any company who rates speed by a server 9000 miles overseas?  Of course not.  I know the point is to always make things Thai look bad but servers are always rated the same as 3bb in any other country. 

Thats OK if you just want to use local internet,so what speeds are you

getting to the West coast USA, London,Berlin, those are the only numbers

i will be interested in,and mean anything to me,and most of other people too.

regards Worgeordie

6 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Thats OK if you just want to use local internet,so what speeds are you

getting to the West coast USA, London,Berlin, those are the only numbers

i will be interested in,and mean anything to me,and most of other people too.

regards Worgeordie

What is the fastest service to the West coast, London, Berlin and so on?  What test do you use to measure that?

26 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

1803 Mbps on a 3bb modem/router which has Ethernet ports that can handle maximum 1000 Mbps download.

If that isn't great, and for sure not pulled out of a hat.

Huawei Echolife HG8145V5 and it does say 1000 Mbit/s

27 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

What is the fastest service to the West coast, London, Berlin and so on?  What test do you use to measure that?

I have not got 1000 Mbps ,so can you test your connections overseas,

then post those, if you have time,those are the only numbers that

are relevant to most/all  users, it would be very interesting to see

what numbers you come up with.

regards Worgeordie

12 minutes ago, Maverell said:

Just a thought, if the network cable from your router to PC (assuming you are not using wi fi) is not Cat 5 or 6 you wont get 1 GB/S to your PC no matter what you do.

Got all new cables when I put in the 500/500 and I'm getting 1810

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I have not got 1000 Mbps ,so can you test your connections overseas,

then post those, if you have time,those are the only numbers that

are relevant to most/all  users, it would be very interesting to see

what numbers you come up with.

regards Worgeordie

Using what test?

Just out of general interest, what do you use a 1Gb connection for? I have recently upgraded to 200/200 and actually getting 360/220 within thailand and except when I download the occasional game through steam I actually use my full bandwidth. 

I watch Netflix 4k without buffering at any time. Just looking for a justification for myself to upgrade to a 1Gb connection tbh

On 7/22/2019 at 2:31 PM, KhunBENQ said:

A few months back, 3BB pretty much upgraded all their fiber customers who were paying 1200b a month from their 300 Mbps plan to their 500/500 Mbps plan, the kind of automatic, behind the scenes plan upgrade that has occurred periodically as plan speeds have crept upwards.

Maybe there's some value in that for a customer who uses Thailand based internet resources, or even those based in Singapore via CDN or peering. But for someone like me who pretty much uses all his internet from home country (U.S.) resources, the bump up in 3BB plan speed was meaningless.

In fact, I ran a bunch of tests for my various U.S. connections under the 500 Mbps plan, and then downgraded my 3BB service to the 200/200 Mbps plan for 700b a month, and got ZERO loss of any download speeds for my U.S. connections when I reran the same battery of various speed/download tests.

So bottom line is, I'm saving about 500b per month over my prior 3BB service and getting exactly the same performance on my U.S. internet connections.  Having a 500 Mbps or 1 GB internet plan for THAILAND is pretty meaningless to me, unless those plans come with a corresponding bump up in international speeds, which they don't.

Somebody explain please. I pay 3BB for 200/200.

3BB Speedtest (in Thailand) I get 212/209, Singapore 217/192, UK 13.2/5.3

myspeedmeter as suggested by Marcus, 17/3.1 without VPN, 116/10 with VPN to UK

testmy.net without VPN 26/4, with Singapore VPN 121/20, UK VPN 3.3/0.5.

Express VPN.

Archived