Newbie observations on the expat community and the Bangkok podcast

waiking

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And about why people come to Thailand: Isn't that obvious?

when I walk through the curtains think of the sheer numbers involved I remind myself that a journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step.

its a dirty job but somebody has to do it.

BB-2018.jpg.9fdf3423d3fb12ccdee4d60b701ebf84.jpg

15 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Why do you assume that farangs who come here and end up working here are in any way competent? (I suppose that making podcasts is indeed work designed to produce some sort of financial reward.) With just a few exceptions most farangs working here are second or third rate, and have come here because they couldn't cut it in better places, or for other reasons like being wanted by the police or having Thai partners. So you should expect their output - and their incomes - to be in accordance with that.

I don't think so.

Sure, there are lots of people here who are not exactly experts and who are happy to do any job which pays a little money. I guess many "teachers" are a good example for that.

But there are also lots of people in Thailand who have other priorities than just making a lot of money and climbing up the ladder. 

Personally I could make a lot more money in other countries. But then what? Working hard for 11 months and then going 1 month to Thailand to relax and have some fun? I prefer 12 months a year Thailand. It won't make me rich, but I enjoy life every day, 12 months a year. That wouldn't be the case in many many so called developed countries. 

13 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I think that this is a mathematical impossibility as at least one new Indian restaurant seems to open every day here. Also only Warren Buffet could possibly afford to eat in an Indian restaurant here every day.

Yes I agree it's impossible and it would also be masochistic as most of them are not very good. But it's not lazy! But come on, one restaurant meal a day is not Buffet territory, although he is famous for being a cheapskate so he's probably eating canned tuna with saltines. 

I'm sure when a lot of us came here, there were no podcasts (to tell us where to buy the best burger) there were no Starbucks or McD's and guess what! We worked it out for ourselves! We didn't sit lazily back and wait for someone to tell us where everything was via podcast. I found out by legwork, oh, and I did take the time to learn the language.

Happy Facebook!

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

I am sure when you arrive in Thailand,you will be able

to change the thinking and the way Expats live here,

your in for a bumpy ride if you think you can tell those

on TV how they should be living.

regards Worgeordie

Hello welcome 

Sorry but could not give flying  whatever about burgers noodles podcasts etc)

But since you are here .......................Now to really important stuff

Wheres My Fosun Wolves shirt

1 hour ago, poohy said:

Hello welcome 

Sorry but could not give flying  whatever about burgers noodles podcasts etc)

But since you are here .......................Now to really important stuff

Wheres My Fosun Wolves shirt

Don't mention Wolves to me,your rubbing it in.

regards Worgeordie

4 hours ago, waiking said:

I've been listening to the back catalog of the Bangkok podcast, by far the biggest Thailand expat pod cast. I am shocked at how cringlingly, embarrassingly, bad it is. The hosts are, literally, completely unprepared, and after the best part of two decades in Thailand (for at least one of them) they seem to completely lack any insight or interest in current affairs or culture or politics or history or economics or anything really beyond the usual trivial tourist tropes. Case in point: can you imagine staying for more than a decade in a country, any country, and not even learning the language properly?

It is because they [the Bangkok Podcast guys] have been here a long time that they are well aware that a requirement for longevity here is to play to the script and not brake any of the unwritten rules - don’t discuss politics, history, current affairs or culture... in doing so accurately negativity will be impossible to avoid. Authorities don’t like that. 

When you have been here 20+ years you will also understand. 

Never heard the podcast but my advice is to forget about the expat scene at first and just come and immerse yourself in Thai culture. Make a serious effort for at least 2 years. You will either sink or swim, but at least you won't be floating around clueless. 

Archived