Cannabis among top priorities for new Thai government

snoop1130

Cannabis among top priorities for new Thai government

fhfgt.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Thailand's Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha arrives for a photo session with the new government cabinet in Bangkok, Thailand July 16, 2019. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Developing a medical cannabis industry is among top policy priorities for Thailand’s new government, according to a document released before the formal announcement.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, the former junta leader who heads a civilian government following March elections, is due to set out the policies for debate in the national assembly on Thursday. The policy document was released on Sunday.

Developing the medical cannabis industry was a key demand of the Bhumjaithai party, one of the biggest parties in Prayuth’s 19-party coalition.

“The study and technological development of marijuana, hemp, and other medicinal herbs should be sped up for the medical industry to create economic opportunity and income for the people,” the policy document said.

Thailand, which had a tradition of using cannabis to relieve pain and fatigue, legalized marijuana for medical use and research last year.

Bhumjaithai party leader Anutin Charnvirakul, now a deputy prime minister and health minister, said his goal was to enable all Thais to grow marijuana to make money.

Anutin told local media it was important to remove hemp with a high level of cannabidiol (CBD) from the list of banned drugs for cultivation and then to free up hospitals to prescribe drugs containing the chemical compound.

Among other urgent government priorities were addressing drought, labor and economic problems.

Also on the list was a study to amend a new constitution that critics say preserves the hold of the military indefinitely. This study had been a demand of another coalition partner, the Democrat Party.

However, any constitutional changes would require the support of the Senate - which is entirely made up of appointees of the previous junta.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-22

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Anutin Charnvirakul, now a deputy prime minister and health minister, said his goal was to enable all Thais to grow marijuana to make money.

Looks like they didn't check his credentials to be a cabinet minister !

Big interest purely as big money involved and when you can't sell rice or rubber due to not being competitive and have quality issues you got stoop to new lows or highs lol .

Buck Banana going be worlds best dressed cannabis dealer and General Rolex won't be seen much as he off getting measured for a new watch or two .

Considering this countries views on prohibited drugs the fast speed at which 'medical' production gone through shows you how money is the true king of thailand .

So who's gonna be buying the weed to make the greedy richer? 

Around the world the hype is full on over medical cannabis, has anyone any news on it's proven benefits?

I don't disagree with it, far from it, just wondering if it's meeting the hype. 

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Look at the smile on the face of our illustrious leader! He's obviously been doing some testing of the new product.

Quite possibly the only way in which he can bring himself to face parliamentary scrutiny, is if he were to be high as a kite!

2 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

The new Thai " government" and dope is a priority.

I thought Prayuth had dope on his mind when he nominated the 250 senators. 

I didn't realise he'd read Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs, perhaps it was after Animal Farm.

image.thumb.png.c0f511ecc3cbb0790367ceccb23d2f12.png

13 minutes ago, JAG said:

Quite possibly the only way in which he can bring himself to face parliamentary scrutiny, is if he were to be high as a kite!

Or if he has to make an appearance in the HIGH Court over his eligibility to be PM! 

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:
17 minutes ago, JAG said:

Or if he has to make an appearance in the HIGH Court over his eligibility to be PM! 

He might well suggest floating the Baht.

Certainly could be a relief crop for the rubber and rice farmers...

I would not be surprised if they just let all farmers grow cannabis in order to cash in on medical based products worldwide...you could almost say that they are ahead of the curve on this one...

I can't see them easily controlling it anyway.

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Bhumjaithai party leader Anutin Charnvirakul, now a deputy prime minister and health minister, said his goal was to enable all Thais to grow marijuana to make money.

My wife is currently growing sugar,rice,rubber and cassava and none of these are making money in fact she is losing money(I've stopped assisting with the financial side of this bottomless pit).I've often made suggestions about the idea of growing hemp I have been meet with indifference,when I showed her this article she showed the same indifference until I uttered the words "to enable all Thais to grow marijuana to MAKE MONEY" then she said to sign her up.She has always had to drag me kicking and screaming to the farm to help,mostly I've stopped going as being a poor Thai farmer is bloody hard work with little or mostly no return plus the food they serve there isn't much chop either.If this policy becomes reality wild horse wouldn't be able to drag me away from the farm as this crop is one of the few areas that I have previously excelled in culivating.I've always told her that the farm is her toy and my toys are the tools I have in the shed,which I share with her bloody cows which I invariably have to feed and water.Now I see a little ray of sunshine in the shape of a 5 meter tall hemp plant.Yes that's how big they can get believe my I know.

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Dont get me wrong. As a youth I may have enjoyed the odd skin or two but to make this the highest priority?

It's the new comedy government:

Get 'em all laughing and high. They'll never notice the crap job we're doing.

No way are the Thais going to allow us to buy weed and get stoned like for example holland . They are bad enough about alcohol , looking down their noses at you if youve had a few too many , farang ki mao . 

5 minutes ago, Scutty said:

No way are the Thais going to allow us to buy weed and get stoned like for example holland . They are bad enough about alcohol , looking down their noses at you if youve had a few too many , farang ki mao . 

Maybe your mixing with the wrong Thais,the ones I've mixed with are usually just as shit drunk as I am.They had no problem selling pot to falang before in fact I don't think Thais have had any problems selling anything to falang if they are handing over the readies! 

Without reading what has already been said I find ' news ' like this repulsive. 

They have demonized this drug for so long and tried to portray it as a drug that inevitably leads to harder drugs and the destruction of anyone who tries it.

They have spent a lot of money cooking up the facts to support their narrative.

Now .....just because the good 'ol US of A and friends have OK'ed it there is a undignified rush by the wealthy to capitalize on its rehabilitation. 

' Oh......we have found another cash cow to exploit '  

May they all rot in hell for their culpable duplicity.

Wow the priorities for this government !
Not education, not endemic corruption, not poverty, not substandard roads, rail systems buildings, wiring ...substandard everything - but growing drugs to make money !?
Is this a new low or can it even get get worse ? Or maybe they are hoping the entire population will be stoned out of their mind and don’t realize what idiots are charge here!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Around the world the hype is full on over medical cannabis, has anyone any news on it's proven benefits?

It meets the hype. Lots of info on google if you want to go down the rabbit hole. That’s why it’s being legalized in most states in the US. Really helpful with chronic pains.

•  
  • Medical cannabis has many benefits.   The hype is nothing more than propaganda studies from the billionaire pharmaceutical executives...Everyone's body is full of CBD receptors [CB1 and CB2]. In the case of certain cancers, such as delta-9-THC - hepatocellular carcinoma , the CBD and THC in marijuana causes an increase in ceramide synthesis which drives [cancer] cell death [intracellular apoptosis]. A normal healthy cell does not produce ceramide in the presence of THC so it is not affected by it.

The studies by special interest groups that are designed to cast a shadow of doubt about the benefits of cannabis are nothing more than a smokescreen [no pun intended] as a playback to 1937 to once again demonize marijuana. Yet, the pharmaceutical industry has no problem promoting drugs, such as Ritalin with it's horrible side effects which is dispensed, globally in massive doses to young people suffering from ADHD.

There is a multitude of medical evidence to support the benefits and life saving properties of cannabis in a far ranging classification of medical disorders, and anyone who states otherwise is willfully and wholly ignorant of the science

Archived