UK minister quits before Johnson becomes PM, decries 'dark cloud' of Brexit

snoop1130

We keep hearing that it would be catastrophic leaving the EU with no deal.
This stalemate can't go on forever.
If there are never-ending extensions, that in itself will damage the UK economy further.
If a deal can't be negotiated, then the UK must leave without a deal. What are the alternatives?
There is no majority in Parliament for a no-Deal Brexit.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hogwash, we all know about parliamentary democracy and we all know that parliament passed a bill to allow the British people to have their say about remaining or leaving, and with the information they received back they decided to go with the wishes of the British people. Just because you don't agree with it, it matters not one jot.
The majority of MPs voted to leave the highly democratic EU, they triggered art 50 and it became law we leave, but I know you will argue untill you are blue in the face and will always want the last word, so give it your best shot, I'm bored with all this nonsense.
The referendum did not specify no-Deal Brexit. Only the Hard Brexiteers are spinning that one.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Hogwash, we all know about parliamentary democracy and we all know that parliament passed a bill to allow the British people to have their say about remaining or leaving, and with the information they received back they decided to go with the wishes of the British people.

It’s not hogwash. If it was hogwash, you wouldn’t be in this situation. In fact, by complaining about “remainers in parliament blocking democracy”, you’re just admitting the facts: the UK, after all, is still a parliamentary representative democracy. The referendum did not change that a jot. 

Just because you don't agree with it, it matters not one jot.

It’s not about agreeing. It’s about facts. Fact is, Brexit is not happening because of no parliamentary majority. 

If it’s about agreeing, you can disagree with the system of parliamentary representative democracy. But that’s doesn’t change it. You would have to do more than win a Brexit referendum  

The majority of MPs voted to leave the highly democratic EU, they triggered art 50 and it became law we leave, but I know you will argue untill you are blue in the face and will always want the last word, so give it your best shot, I'm bored with all this nonsense.

...and now the majority of MPs are blocking it. I guess you have to accept both parliament’s decisions, not just the one you like. 

4 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

It’s not hogwash. If it was hogwash, you wouldn’t be in this situation. In fact, by complaining about “remainers in parliament blocking democracy”, you’re just admitting the facts: the UK, after all, is still a parliamentary representative democracy. The referendum did not change that a jot. 

It’s not about agreeing. It’s about facts. Fact is, Brexit is not happening because of no parliamentary majority. 

If it’s about agreeing, you can disagree with the system of parliamentary representative democracy. But that’s doesn’t change it. You would have to do more than win a Brexit referendum  

...and now the majority of MPs are blocking it. I guess you have to accept both parliament’s decisions, not just the one you like. 

It has been blocked because the PM came back with daft deals..

Oh ...wel .... extension by the E.U. based on the general election in September for the U.k. as by then P.M. Bojo lost already any glimpse of majority  I guess ...????

5 hours ago, stephenterry said:

On the assumption that Johnson becomes PM, owing to Tory defections to the Lib Dems, he'll have to prove to the Queen he can command the confidence of parliament on a minority basis and DUP support.

He won't lose an immediate vote of no confidence, though, IMO, because he could use that to prorogue parliament and therefore see the UK leave without a deal. 

If that occurs, might as well say goodbye to the UK, the economy, devaluation of the pound, etc. etc. which no doubt would please the minority leavers who will blame everything and everyone else for the upcoming disaster ND Brexit would bring.  

One bright spot is that Ursula von der Leyen will take up her role as EU president on November 1st, who seems willing enough to agree a deal with the UK, as has been happening now, and before Johnson arrives to mess it all up. 

Interesting times. Sell off all UK assets ASAP and get the hell out of hell.

You say the corrupt Von Der Leyen seems willing to agree a deal with the U.K. Can you please provide a link to this breaking news, because as far as I’m aware, she’s only mentioned agreeing to a further extension, after the 31st October, in other words, she’s willing to keep the U.K tied to the E.U. While at the same time, willing to accept our continued financial donations.

20 minutes ago, david555 said:

Oh ...wel .... extension by the E.U. based on the general election in September for the U.k. as by then P.M. Bojo lost already any glimpse of majority  I guess ...????

Don't you be so sure, once the news gets round that Corbyn wants to give terrorists pensions the Labour Party will take a big hit, unless Labour MP's finally get some balls and take him out...

1 hour ago, david555 said:

When the HoC members are clever, they will accept a "no confidence" Wednesday already, before Boris goes to lie at the Queen.

59 minutes ago, transam said:

Don't you be so sure, once the news gets round that Corbyn wants to give terrorists pensions the Labour Party will take a big hit, unless Labour MP's finally get some balls and take him out...

Maybe  Jo Swinson  could be a good alternative ? Only need 50% + 1 of all baronies ( constituencies) and get that, when the biggest in each. Imagine: Lib Dem 17.6%, Labour 17.5, Tories 17.5, Brexit now 17.5%, Greens and others together 30 % means.. she has it.

Boris is PM. Finally someone who believes in leaving  the EU. The EU has raped our waters and stolen our fish. Eroded our farms so we can produce food for ourselves. decimated industries so we became a service industry.

The EU will have to find another soft touch to keep filling the coffers.

So many bitter Europhiles sand remainers who said Boris would never be PM. How silly they are.

So finally nothing changes with Boris in charge ..... E.U. stick's with their point …, and parliament shall block the no deal option , first reaction from E.U.....

3 hours ago, puipuitom said:

When the HoC members are clever, they will accept a "no confidence" Wednesday already, before Boris goes to lie at the Queen.

But most of them aren't. Anyway, Boris will not be PM until after May has formally stepped aside and he sees HM Queen tomorrow, just after Theresa May. No chance for no confidence action before that. 

3 hours ago, puipuitom said:

Maybe  Jo Swinson  could be a good alternative ? Only need 50% + 1 of all baronies ( constituencies) and get that, when the biggest in each. Imagine: Lib Dem 17.6%, Labour 17.5, Tories 17.5, Brexit now 17.5%, Greens and others together 30 % means.. she has it.

Nah she don't.

Archived