Advise for medical check (Work Permit)

Hi Guys, I need advise on medical checkup. Last night without knowing I took a puff of cigarette with marijuana in it.

Only 1 puff but I could feel the effect. I'm up for medical checkup next 2 weeks to renew my work permit.

Now I'm quite worried that it would show up in my report. What should I do? My friend say drink a lot of milk for the next few days. It really helps?

No Sir, I'm the GM of the company with less than 20 employees. We do not conduct annual drug test like those big companies with 200 employees. Will the labour dept order random drug test? I just don't want to be the unlucky goat.

• Haha 1

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you ever have such a checkup? It's almost laughable. 

Yes, when I apply for work permit I was told to undergo a medical checkup although I don't really know what they test about... maybe HIV, STD etc... and I'm due for renewal in 2 weeks.

3 minutes ago, timberpond said:

Yes, when I apply for work permit I was told to undergo a medical checkup although I don't really know what they test about... maybe HIV, STD etc... and I'm due for renewal in 2 weeks.

No HIV, no this, no that. 

They take your blood and test it for a dew things and you talk about two minutes with a doctor. He fills out a form with about 5 questions. I think I paid less than 1000B so you can imagine how much is tested - very little.

• Like 1

No worries. They do a basic checkup, quite laughable actually. Check you for Elephantitis - really - this disease still exists?? They request your blood type and over past few years they asked for Tertiary Syphilis test which is also a blood test. They don’t check for drug use. You should be ok. 

• Like 2

You guys really made me feel better... after the enjoyable night I was worried the whole day.

I drink and smoke but I don't do drugs... this episode is a nightmare after the high is gone...

But 1 thing I have to admit... damn it feel good! 

No... I'm not trying it again... eerrrrmmmm.... maybe if I'm in Amsterdam or something when its legal. 

55 minutes ago, William72 said:

No worries. They do a basic checkup, quite laughable actually. Check you for Elephantitis - really - this disease still exists?? They request your blood type and over past few years they asked for Tertiary Syphilis test which is also a blood test. They don’t check for drug use. You should be ok. 

I don't know what is Elephantitis and I did a search... dude it's scary!  

Seriously the test is almost pointless.

Blood pressure, weight, blood test for elephant thingy and syph. A 30 second chat with the doc to check you are actually alive and you're good to go.

When you go to the clinic tell them you want the medical for a work permit and they should know what you need. Our local private hospital charges a rip-off 450 Baht but my employer pays it anyway.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Does your employer do a drug test when you do your medical to get for your work permit?

The requirements set by the Labor department does not require a drug test.

The text on the form says that the person in question doesn't take drugs. As already mentioned go to a clinic where they got such forms with syphilis and elephantiasis on it.

A few years back, a doctor at Sapphasit hospital/Ubon decided that I had to do the full program, including X-rays, Syphilis, Elephantiasis and a drug test.

She wanted to test me on speed because so many people in Isaan are addicted to it. It would have taken almost all day and I decided to go to a private hospital where only a syphilis test was made. 

OP, even if you have to go to a government hospital, the chances of an urine test are very slim. And if so, they usually check on amphetamines only. 

It really varies from one labor department to the other. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, petedk said:

You talk for 2 minutes or so, so that the doctor can check for insanity. I have been through this 19 times now, so last time I told him no need to talk because I am insane. Anyone who stays in Thailand for 19 years is insane. He laughed and said OK.

He kept touching my legs. Not sure if he was gay or checking for Elephantitis.

Anyway, no need to go to an expensive hospital. Any clinic can perform the necessary tests.

Not every clinic has a laboratory to check on elephantiasis and the head of the labor department decides what kind of medical is accepted.

If a syphilis test must be done, it takes about an hour to get the result. 

If they ask you how much you paid, always say 600 + baht, otherwise they know that such a test wasn't done. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 8:56 AM, Isaanbiker said:

If a syphilis test must be done, it takes about an hour to get the result. 

If they ask you how much you paid, always say 600 + baht, otherwise they know that such a test wasn't done. 

I got my results and the form back in two minutes - perhaps a haematological record! They usually issue a receipt for the blood test.

Mine was for an overseas visa application, but as mentioned here a blood test shouldn't be required for a work permit form. 

Edited by lamyai3
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, dejenny80 said:

The medical certificate takes literally 5 minutes - cost me 180 baht at medconsult clinic, sooo cheap and eassy and painfree (no blood tests thank goodness haha)

Same for me, the doctor actually didn t talk to me, and no test, pay and get the paper, then you are on your way, 10 minutes max.