Rethinking my stay here

24 minutes ago, glegolo said:

I am puzzlled still after 11 years over many of us expats and their lack of thinking and reacting. I have heard so much shit about Chiang Mai, so I would never in my lifetime have to do anything at all with that cesspool to Immigration upp there.

Why even try to live there. There are really nice immigration-offices where it is actually nice to go to and have a chat and they are really trying to help you out.... Screw Chiang Mai and just move to another nicer place in Thailand.

glegolo

Chaiyaphum immigration.... is great...

My wife is an administrator at the Unity Concord International School in Chiang Mai...hard to leave...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fishtank said:

Yes you can get a Non Imm Visa at Immigration with an income of 65k a month.

Providing it is part of the process to apply for a 12 month extension.

Is your Wife Thai?

No...she has a Non Immigrant A?...teaching visa

• Like 1

Just now, FaFaHead said:

No...she has a Non Immigrant A?...teaching visa

No you can’t my friend. I had a letter from SS, another from my retirement showing his much I get every month. I printed out the deposit pages of my B of A bank account they were deposited into from last November when I got here until this month. I use TransferWise and printed out the same corresponding pages showing transfers from B of A to Bangkok Bank. They didn’t want a joint account so I opened another Bangkok Bank account in just my name and updated both passbooks on the way to immigration this morning. The new Bangkok Bank account shows the SS and retirement deposits going into it for this month. The bank also gave me the required letter outlining my deposits since last November. They also did a computer print out for every month showing deposits since last November. House lease, book from landlord, tm30’s, tm86, all in duplicate, copies of passport pages, EVERYTHING...checked by someone who used to work at immigration by the way, all to no avail...Chiang Mai Immigration sucks. To say I am disillusioned is an understatement. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Ok that would have given you more options.

Does she have a Visa or an extension of stay?

What sucks, is she is in the states for the school break as her 88 year old father fell and fractured his back and since her return has had a couple of minor strokes, so he’s in decline and Laura won’t be back anytime soon to resume the school year on the 14th. Things are really in flux right now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I was uner the impression you could never get a non immigrant o in the country?

You can if you qualify for certain extensions of stay.

They allow you to apply for a visa, issue a visa and immediately use the visa to give you a 90 day non-immigrant stay. Then towards the end of the 90 days you can apply for an extension of stay or leave.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FaFaHead said:

Went to Immigration today with two packets with EVERYTHING I NEEDED TO GET NON Immigrant O visa. Was told that the law had been changed and I cannot use proof of 65k every month (which i had), and that I needed 800,000 in the bank. I was then told that I needed to go to Thai Embassy in Vientiene and get the Non Immigrant O and then before 90 says are up I can get retirement visa here in Chiang Mai. This sound right?

They clearly don’t want the hassle of arranging the visa. And if they won’t do it you’ll have to go out for a Non O visa. 

The only alternative would be to try one of the visa agents.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

Yes you can get a Non Imm Visa at Immigration with an income of 65k a month.

Providing it is part of the process to apply for a 12 month extension.

Is your Wife Thai?

It doesn’t have to be part of the process of a 12 month extension. That happens after the visa is issued and is a separate application.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

They clearly don’t want the hassle of arranging the visa. And if they won’t do it you’ll have to go out for a Non O visa. 

The only alternative would be to try one of the visa agents.

I think he went for an annual extension based on retirement (not a Visa) and his income was refused because it wasn't enough monthly transfers in his sole name, or the transfers weren't coded as International.

• Like 2