Rethinking my stay here

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

I think he went for an annual extension based on retirement (not a Visa) and his income was refused because it wasn't enough monthly transfers in his sole name, or the transfers weren't coded as International.

I’m pretty sure he’s after changing from a Tourist Visa to Non-immigrant Visa.

OP wrote, “I was then told that I needed to go to Thai Embassy in Vientiene and get the Non Immigrant O and then before 90 says are up I can get retirement visa here in Chiang Mai. This sound right?”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would suggest that even if you dont go the agent route, if you arent experienced it may be a good idea to drop a few baht an agents way just to check the paperwork before you make the application.

I know there's a whole legion of well meaning people here, and Ubon Joe is irreproachable but it's different on the spot.

Dont lose the rag though. You still stand out like a fish in a tree in Thailand. You won't be forgotten.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wilailuk said:

I´ve never played that game, so you are wrong, at least with my situation and experience..

Yes, in your situation, with the offices you dealt with.

Or should I believe there is consistency between all offices and corruption is a thing of the past in Thailand?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, lkv said:

No, he stated in the original post (although not exactly worded this way), that he is currently on a tourist visa issued by Vientiane, went to CM Immigration to convert to non O, they refused and sent him back to Vientiane to get his non O from there, then come back to them after 90 days to get his annual extension.

Correct

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FaFaHead said:

Correct

So as others have said.

One option is to try and use some agent that greases their palms and do it in Chiang Mai (the conversion).

I don't know what the current rates are, that can be considered fair, maybe others can advise.

Otherwise, if too expensive, another trip to Vientiane for a single entry non O. 

Edited by lkv

10 hours ago, FaFaHead said:

As I scooped up my papers I told the Thai officer that they didn’t want Falangs and this Immigration attitude was bullshit and walked out.

Did you really do this? Do you expect that will help you in the future? 

My guess would be that it is better to be polite to authorities and find a way to work things out together. If you meet the qualifications for a visa you should not have a problem.

I have made mistakes but immigration has always been polite and helpful to me as I was of them. 

But, good choice on Doi Saket - nice area.

11 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

How many years has the income method been valid?  So, you think it's going to stop?  Based on what?  52 Immigration offices and some problems at 2?

As a straw in the wind, I went to Kap Choeng a few days ago for my 90-days report. No probs.

BUT as we were leaving my b/f raised with them my upcoming (October) retirement extension & that we would be doing the 65K income path. They immediately said No No must be 800K in the bank ... They said it twice as we queried them. We then left, alarmed & dismayed, but thinking perhaps the 2 IOs concerned simply didn't know the new rules ... ???

• Like 2

13 hours ago, FaFaHead said:

I have been given nothing but the runaround at Chiang Mai Immigration and this has been nothing but a cloud hanging over my head since I arrived here last November. 

25,000 bht to an agent is what CM immigration want.

Then you don't need any evidence of income, any savings or any lease.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

Did you really do this? Do you expect that will help you in the future? 

My guess would be that it is better to be polite to authorities and find a way to work things out together. If you meet the qualifications for a visa you should not have a problem.

I have made mistakes but immigration has always been polite and helpful to me as I was of them. 

But, good choice on Doi Saket - nice area.

Yes, never had a problem with anything in Thailand so far (touch wood). Don't get angry, much better to keep totally calm.

If you wished to express you frustration, perhaps you could have asked them; will there be trained staff available once you get your non-O to carry out the extension by income method, or do they have a contact number in Bangkok....? Honest question to resolve a perceived deficiency, in the public servants you are trying to deal with.

Not having the non-O was kinda your weaknessin the situation perhaps. 

Watching closely, regarding 65k/mo process, and the certain problems being reported at immigration offices.

Too bad the embassies don't step in and help solve the vary problem they created.

25k to an agent is money wasted YoY compared to the 800k method.  The 65k is too much hassle IMO.

Edited by Nowisee
  • Like 1

"Went to Immigration today with two packets with EVERYTHING I NEEDED TO GET NON Immigrant O visa."

I am curious. How did you know what you needed for the Non-Immigrant O visa? Did you get this information from the Chiang Mai Immigration office before making your preparations? Did they give you incorrect information?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, elliss said:

800K , in the bank , good farlang , welcome.

However that said the amount could increase tommo..

Mounthly income nah , too much work for immi.

The writing is on the wall..

How do you pronounce farlang?

Phonetically as you spell it?

8 hours ago, wilailuk said:

I´ve never played that game, so you are wrong, at least with my situation and experience..

- but I´ve seen lots of totally rude, stinking, old farang dirt bags, who would do better in many other cultures, which maybe will accept their BS and bad manners, i.e. Portugal, Spain, Greece, Bulgaria, whatever.. Up to them but I know that they don´t fit in here, the stupid old farts, way too arrogant, thinking they are entitled to some special treatment, I don´t like them, don´t talk to them, and yes, I see them here in the province too, and avoid them, they stink of "I deserve special treatment"..

F... them!

And whereabouts in Nakhon Sawan do you see these people? I have friends there, they may be the people you refer to and if so I will tell them to stop expecting special treatment.

On the other hand they are neither stupid nor arrogant so possibly it is not them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elviajero said:

I’m pretty sure he’s after changing from a Tourist Visa to Non-immigrant Visa.

OP wrote, “I was then told that I needed to go to Thai Embassy in Vientiene and get the Non Immigrant O and then before 90 says are up I can get retirement visa here in Chiang Mai. This sound right?”

After rereading the original post I'm in agreement.

So the OP should be following the conversion process and submitted a TM86 to change Visa status.

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Financial requirements.

5. 5.1 A guarantee letter from the bank in Thailand in Thai language (Attention: Immigration Commissioner)*
5.2 A copy  of all entries of the applicant’s passbook showing that the applicant has a savings or fixed deposit account  of not less than Baht 800,000* (all documents must be in the Applicant’s name).
5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand*
*(Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application and all documents must be in the Applicant’s name.)or

6. A guarantee letter from the local or overseas Embassy or Consulate, proving the monthly pension of the Applicant not less than Baht 65,000 per month (together with reference documents showing the source of said monthly pension); or

7. Evidence of deposited money under Clause 5 and evidence of income under Clause 6  (for one year) showing the total amount not less than Baht 800,000

Theoretically TI should have accepted just one 65K transfer as proof of income, but the key question is how is the OP transferring his income and is it coded as International.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

After rereading the original post I'm in agreement.

So the OP should be following the conversion process and submitted a TM86 to change Visa status.

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Financial requirements.

5. 5.1 A guarantee letter from the bank in Thailand in Thai language (Attention: Immigration Commissioner)*
5.2 A copy  of all entries of the applicant’s passbook showing that the applicant has a savings or fixed deposit account  of not less than Baht 800,000* (all documents must be in the Applicant’s name).
5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand*
*(Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application and all documents must be in the Applicant’s name.)or

6. A guarantee letter from the local or overseas Embassy or Consulate, proving the monthly pension of the Applicant not less than Baht 65,000 per month (together with reference documents showing the source of said monthly pension); or

7. Evidence of deposited money under Clause 5 and evidence of income under Clause 6  (for one year) showing the total amount not less than Baht 800,000

Theoretically TI should have accepted just one 65K transfer as proof of income, but the key question is how is the OP transferring his income and is it coded as International.

The OP did this

"I had a letter from SS, another from my retirement showing his much I get every month. I printed out the deposit pages of my B of A bank account they were deposited into from last November when I got here until this month. I use TransferWise and printed out the same corresponding pages showing transfers from B of A to Bangkok Bank. They didn’t want a joint account so I opened another Bangkok Bank account in just my name and updated both passbooks on the way to immigration this morning. The new Bangkok Bank account shows the SS and retirement deposits going into it for this month. The bank also gave me the required letter outlining my deposits since last November. They also did a computer print out for every month showing deposits since last November. "

I think from what I am reading is that he only had a bank account in his name only for 1 month. I'm not sure how long they want to see foreign income into that account prior to the application. It also doesn't say if the income is coded as a foreign transfer. Some people have posted that IO doesn't want to look at Transferwise documentation just the bank letter.

If he is planning to use Transferwise in the future (if he stays) I predict he is in for a whole lot of headaches.

2 minutes ago, Martyp said:

I think from what I am reading is that he only had a bank account in his name only for 1 month. I'm not sure how long they want to see foreign income into that account prior to the application. It also doesn't say if the income is coded as a foreign transfer. Some people have posted that IO doesn't want to look at Transferwise documentation just the bank letter.

If he is planning to use Transferwise in the future (if he stays) I predict he is in for a whole lot of headaches.

That's how I also read and understood his financial position.

Provided he had one 65K International transfer to an account in his sole name that should have been enough evidence for the change of Visa status to Non O.

If the OP is using TW and not using BKK, then the transfers won't be coded as FTT in his local Passbook.

Because of the technical issue in July, TW transfers were routed through KK to BKK and were coded as SMT transfers.

It may be easier for the OP to try and obtain a NON O from a nearby Thai Embassy/Consulate but which one is another question.

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

If the OP is using TW and not using BKK, then the transfers won't be coded as FTT in his local Passbook.

He wrote in his posts that he did a transfer from his Bank of America (BOA) account to his Bangkok Bank Account.

14 hours ago, FaFaHead said:

What sucks, is she is in the states for the school break as her 88 year old father fell and fractured his back and since her return has had a couple of minor strokes, so he’s in decline and Laura won’t be back anytime soon to resume the school year on the 14th. Things are really in flux right now. 

14 hours ago, FaFaHead said:

No you can’t my friend. I had a letter from SS, another from my retirement showing his much I get every month. I printed out the deposit pages of my B of A bank account they were deposited into from last November when I got here until this month. I use TransferWise and printed out the same corresponding pages showing transfers from B of A to Bangkok Bank. They didn’t want a joint account so I opened another Bangkok Bank account in just my name and updated both passbooks on the way to immigration this morning. The new Bangkok Bank account shows the SS and retirement deposits going into it for this month. The bank also gave me the required letter outlining my deposits since last November. They also did a computer print out for every month showing deposits since last November. House lease, book from landlord, tm30’s, tm86, all in duplicate, copies of passport pages, EVERYTHING...checked by someone who used to work at immigration by the way, all to no avail...Chiang Mai Immigration sucks. To say I am disillusioned is an understatement. 

You can't convert a Tourist visa into a extension of stay based on Retirement.