Rethinking my stay here

4 minutes ago, BoBoTheClown said:

You can't convert a Tourist visa into a extension of stay based on Retirement. 

But you can convert a TV entry (or 30 day extension) into a Non-Imm O Entry. This can then be extended based on retirement.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BoBoTheClown said:

Is this true?

I think other offices have said income, combo and lump

sum are still good, from what I've read in other posts. 

And though for a different purpose, the e-visa system describes all three methods for an O-A visa. 

Edited by UKresonant

15 minutes ago, mania said:

You know that is all true & yes there are surely some good Imm offices too but........

The funny thing is you know how Chiang Mai got to where it is today?

The foreigners themselves created this monster

Like drug dealers they got them hooked on the backhanders.

Years ago I would read on CM Forum many say how they didn't want to waste any time

on doing extensions...This by the way was back before it was crowded or had long ques in the am hours

They used agents who "expedited" in the usual "Thai" way....Cha Ching

Now the addicts had a taste & they wanted/needed more

Soon in 2014 Korean travel agents were dropping stacks of passports with forms directly on CM Imm's desks

The Koreans did not even come in....Cha Ching

Next around 2015 the Japanese "Long Stay Club" had their own little CM Imm open just for them in some hotel on Saturdays

at some meeting deal where they got their stuff done expediently ???? .......Cha Ching

So like drugs do not be surprised if someday your nice local Imm becomes an addict as more

foreigners move in & with them the opportunities for Imm to get hooked

Yes you are of course completey correct in what you are writing. Like the old greek said for 2.500 years ago "you got the laws you deserve" being said when citizens complained over hush laws, and the philosofe meant that the more lies and bluff there is in a society, the more laws there must be...

I do hope that there will not be that many expats coming into my areain Chaiyaphum, because most of the expats cant understand and cannot stand life outside big city life..... So I do hope I will be OK and my immigration will stay clean, at least to a certain degree.

thanks for your input.,.

glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, glegolo said:

I have heard so much shit about Chiang Mai, so I would never in my lifetime have to do anything at all with that cesspool to Immigration upp there.

Its not all that bad...

You just need to schedule your appointments near your birthday... :coffee1:

1128083276_aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTUzMy83NjY1NDI2L2FkYXNmLmpwZw.jpg.d1c8f944033c43cf5e1603d109c2720c.jpg

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BoBoTheClown said:

In Thailand? 

Yes, at Chang Wattana at least, it’s what I did. I understand that some offices cannot and have to forward the paperwork to somewhere that is authorized to do it.

15 minutes ago, mania said:

You know that is all true & yes there are surely some good Imm offices too but........

The funny thing is you know how Chiang Mai got to where it is today?

The foreigners themselves created this monster

Like drug dealers they got them hooked on the backhanders.

Years ago I read on CM Forum many say how they didn't want to waste any time

on doing extensions...This by the way was back before it was crowded or had long ques in the am hours

They used agents who "expedited" in the usual "Thai" way....Cha Ching

Now the addicts had a taste & they wanted/needed more

Soon in 2014 Korean travel agents were dropping stacks of passports with forms directly on CM Imm's desks

The Koreans did not even come in....Cha Ching

Next around 2015 the Japanese had their own little CM Imm open just for them in some hotel on Saturdays

at some meeting deal where they got their stuff done expediently ???? .......Cha Ching

So like drugs do not be surprised if someday your nice local Imm becomes an addict as more

foreigners move in & with them the opportunities for Imm to get hooked

What if they do a back audit, and it was found someone used a agent outwith procedure, what would happen then with your passport ID clearly linked you to those event?

2 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Its not all that bad...

You just need to schedule your appointments near your birthday... 

hhahaha beutiful propaganda-photo, looks more like China, hahahahaha

thanks

glegolo

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, BoBoTheClown said:

In Thailand? 

some immigration offices won't do it or make if very difficult.  i did it at CW in bangkok.  you make two visits, one to make the application then there is a two week wait period.  then you return and, if approved, get the non imm O 90 day stamp in your passport.  the 90 day period starts the day of the application, not the day of the stamp being placed in the passport.  after day 60 and before day 90, you go back again and apply for the 12 month extension of stay.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Many things have been valid for many years.  Yes I do think there is a very finite possibility the income method may go away or be modified in even different and more challenging ways than it recently was.  I think the current implementation is nutty and almost a Draconian response to what was a relatively minor issue.  Now immigration offices are inundated with more paperwork to deal with than a simple declaration letter from a foreign embassy

Its really not that hard to check a bank statement for deposits of at least 65K a month. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wilailuk said:

Yup, here I am!

First ret. ext. in 2007 in the rathole Dor Mor in Sathorn, BKK - all papers OK, no problem.

Year after year after year at Div. 1, CW, BKK - no problem..

2 years in Nakhon Sawan now, NO PROBLEM..!!!!!!!

I don´t know what all you "trouble-people" do wrong, it´s amazing, that´s all.

ditto

11 hours ago, lkv said:

What they do "wrong" is that they don't play the corrupt officer's game at their local Immigration offices.

In your case, 2007 is not relevant anymore (too long ago), Chaengwatthana is not corrupt (well not to the extent of trying to create trouble out of nothing), and I don't know about the last one, but based on what you are saying, it sounds like a trouble free place.

Never had an issue at Hua Hin nor in Krabi going back to 2003. Over the years have seen quite a few foreigners overreact and cause many self inflicted problems..

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I was uner the impression you could never get a non immigrant o in the country?

AFAIK, at least at some Immigration offices, you can get Immigration to issue you a single entry 90-day Non-O for purpose of transitioning from something like a tourist visa or visa exempt entry into an ultimate retirement extension.

That's one of the few or only exceptions to the general proposition that visas are issued by Thai embassies and consulates abroad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

He wrote in his posts that he did a transfer from his Bank of America (BOA) account to his Bangkok Bank Account.

But I believe the OP also wrote about using Transferwise for his transfer(s), and it was Transferwise that had a problem during the past month or so with their incoming transfers to Thailand getting wrongly coded at Bahtnet instead of foreign.... 

18 hours ago, FaFaHead said:

Some good sound, knowledgeable answers would be appreciated. I really am thinking of just saying to hell with it and leaving. This is too much of a hassle to try and stay here. 

OP, maybe you got a bad Immigration officer on a bad day, or maybe they were pushing you to use an agent...

But re the details of your original post, if the CM Immigration folks were actually following their own rules, this is what they'd want from you in the way of financials in order to obtain a 90-day Non-O based on retirement or an ultimate annual retirement extension:

Using the 65K baht per month method of financials (you're an American, so you can't get an Embassy income affidavit any more...):

--they typically want the money going into an account solely in your name, not a joint account.

--they typically want your Thai bank book itself to show/code the incoming transfers as being from a foreign source, with a code like FTT, and not a code like Bahtnet, which can mean a local domestic transfer even if it actually isn't.

--for future years after 2019, they'll want those 65K foreign transfers each and every month of the year without exception, meaning you can show them a 12 month history when you re-apply.

--And, they'll want a letter from the Thai bank where the funds are received in your solo account confirming and listing the various incoming foreign transfers they received into your account, and the dates and amounts of those. (If the transfers from Transferwise are coded in your bankbook at "Bahtnet", then the Thai bank probably won't include them in any letter they'll give to you for Immigration).

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

8 minutes ago, Hotrudester said:

I go to my Immigration office at Singburi

The atmosphere and situation with the busy and crowded Immigration offices in places like BKK and CM is hardly the same as in outposts like Singburi....

I was at BKK CW Immigration a month ago....

--asked for any document showing their current retirement extension requirements for that particular office, and they had none, either in EN or in TH.

--without me asking, they gave me a one-page sheet entirely in TH of their current marriage extension requirements. I asked if they had an EN version of that, and they had none.

20 hours ago, glegolo said:

I am puzzlled still after 11 years over many of us expats and their lack of thinking and reacting. I have heard so much shit about Chiang Mai, so I would never in my lifetime have to do anything at all with that cesspool to Immigration upp there.

Why even try to live there. There are really nice immigration-offices where it is actually nice to go to and have a chat and they are really trying to help you out.... Screw Chiang Mai and just move to another nicer place in Thailand.

glegolo

Chaiyaphum immigration.... is great...

Not for long much longer...once all of us relocate there! ????

18 hours ago, dcnx said:

Of course it’s going to change. Raising it by only 200k doesn’t make sense but 700k more for 1.5 million or even 2 million would be logical to weed out more of you.

Whatever the case, count on the goal post being moved again and again and again. That’s simply no way to live.

Umm.  What goal post got 'moved again and again and again'? I've been doing the 800,000 method for 3 or 4 years now, just did it again in June, and the only change is showing I still have the money in the account 3 months from the extension date. Not much goal post movement.

• Like 1

Seems every day I read of extension of stay problems at CM immigration.  Since the changes in Dec of last year, when I needed to extend my stay in June, I went to CM office with copy of retirement income, plus6 mos (Dec 18 thru May19) had a new self only acct at BKK Bank, letter from Bank dated 6 days prior to going to immigration.  I also had copies needed of p/p, landing card, visa etc, TM30 for my wife as house owner, copy of her ID and BlueBook.

I parked at the airport, while my wife took a songthew to BigC MaeHia to update the bankbook for that day.

I got in line at 8:15 in less than 5 minutes I got a queue #7 and as I sat down to wait, #6 was called.  So I called my wife and told her to hurry back.  In less than 5 minutes, the immigration officer called #7 and I gave him my papers.  As he finished he asked about the bankbook and i said my wife was enroute.  He finished stamping everything including the new date of 2020 for the extension and said as soon as your wife returns bring me the bb.  5 minutes later she arrived, I gave him the bank book he checked to see that it matched the letter fm the bank and gave my pp to a young lady collecting same from each desk.  5 minutes later I walked out..total time doing the extension with the new process was less than 30 minutes.  Previously (14 years) I was never in line less than 4 hours prior to getting a queue# and then would have to wait somtimes until the afternoon to get the pp back.  So, my experience is definitely a real plus after the latest changes.  BTW also cheaper as I didn't have to pay $50.00 for the consulate letter!.

• Like 1

Immigration does not issue Non O visas.  They give extensions of visas.  You need to go abroad to a Thai Embassy or Consulate to get a visa then apply at Immigration for an extension based on retirement using your income.  I also strongly suggest you change your attitude, ask for advice and help instead of blowing up and stomping out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

OP, maybe you got a bad Immigration officer on a bad day, or maybe they were pushing you to use an agent...

But re the details of your original post, if the CM Immigration folks were actually following their own rules, this is what they'd want from you in the way of financials in order to obtain a 90-day Non-O based on retirement or an ultimate annual retirement extension:

Using the 65K baht per month method of financials (you're an American, so you can't get an Embassy income affidavit any more...):

--they typically want the money going into an account solely in your name, not a joint account.

--they typically want your Thai bank book itself to show/code the incoming transfers as being from a foreign source, with a code like FTT, and not a code like Bahtnet, which can mean a local domestic transfer even if it actually isn't.

--for future years after 2019, they'll want those 65K foreign transfers each and every month of the year without exception, meaning you can show them a 12 month history when you re-apply.

--And, they'll want a letter from the Thai bank where the funds are received in your solo account confirming and listing the various incoming foreign transfers they received into your account, and the dates and amounts of those. (If the transfers from Transferwise are coded in your bankbook at "Bahtnet", then the Thai bank probably won't include them in any letter they'll give to you for Immigration).

One of the best responses I've seen on Thai Visa! 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Seems every day I read of extension of stay problems at CM immigration.  Since the changes in Dec of last year, when I needed to extend my stay in June, I went to CM office with copy of retirement income, plus6 mos (Dec 18 thru May19) had a new self only acct at BKK Bank, letter from Bank dated 6 days prior to going to immigration.  I also had copies needed of p/p, landing card, visa etc, TM30 for my wife as house owner, copy of her ID and BlueBook.

I parked at the airport, while my wife took a songthew to BigC MaeHia to update the bankbook for that day.

I got in line at 8:15 in less than 5 minutes I got a queue #7 and as I sat down to wait, #6 was called.  So I called my wife and told her to hurry back.  In less than 5 minutes, the immigration officer called #7 and I gave him my papers.  As he finished he asked about the bankbook and i said my wife was enroute.  He finished stamping everything including the new date of 2020 for the extension and said as soon as your wife returns bring me the bb.  5 minutes later she arrived, I gave him the bank book he checked to see that it matched the letter fm the bank and gave my pp to a young lady collecting same from each desk.  5 minutes later I walked out..total time doing the extension with the new process was less than 30 minutes.  Previously (14 years) I was never in line less than 4 hours prior to getting a queue# and then would have to wait somtimes until the afternoon to get the pp back.  So, my experience is definitely a real plus after the latest changes.  BTW also cheaper as I didn't have to pay $50.00 for the consulate letter!.

Great story. Certainly a one-off...so wouldn't raise expectations for next year! The place is a cluster-"F"! 

On the other hand...perhaps enough people have bailed, been kicked out, been denied, couldn't meet the new financial burdens/requirements or just couldn't take anymore of the nonsense, sick and tired of being treated like crap...so the place is not a madhouse nowadays.

Then I woke up! ????