illegally fined on tourist visa, accept as thainess?

The police showed up at my residence today and notified the landlord that 5 months ago when i arrived at the apartment they did not report my whereabouts within 24 hours. Initially the police are asking the landlord for the fine of 1600 baht like they should. But they discuss it and the landlord does not want to pay because I am a farang who they assume is rich of course and its no problem for me. The police agree with the landlord I must pay because we have to take care of Thai people. So its either swallow my pride and pay or lose face with landlord that has been nothing but good to me. If i refuse to pay would this be a possible deportation ? 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If your landlord didn't notify them ....... how did the police know you were there?

extending a tourist visa at immigration you have to write down your address

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, at15 said:

extending a tourist visa at immigration you have to write down your address

There's also the arrival form you fill in at the airport.

If they're matching these up and going back in time to check which property owners have registered tourists then they're going to be very busy for the next few years.

• Haha 2

Since you are staying here long time, I assume you are renting long term. That means you could be seen as the house master and therefor liable to report your stay at the residence. Hence you could be fined instead of the owner/landlord. Just saying this could be, I don't know all the specifics of your case.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, at15 said:

this is what im thinking, paying half is an acceptable resolution. the landlord is not a dick, extremely kind and helpful. you have to understand thai culture, they would not thing this is wrong at all. its like a child who does not know right from wrong, you cannot punish them for that. 

Why not? It was the dick's responsibility to follow the law.

Not yours.

• Like 2

you guys do not understand the thai perspective. if foreigners were not allowed to rent apartments/condos then the landlords would not even be dealing with me right now. for them i should be lucky i am even allowed to enter the kingdom. following the law is all well and good for thai people but i am not thai. this conversation is between an alien and a thai, of course the alien must take fault. initially i was upset but have cooled down and will try to pay half. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, at15 said:

i am a tourist and have stayed here for years never doing a tm30 once. i mean hell 50% of the time the reception does not even ask for my passport. its the responsibility of the hotel/apartment to do this stuff for tourists.  

Are you just renting a room in his house or an apartment? 

if they say your landlord didnt report your stay 5 months ago, and you stayed at this place for years on tourist visas, could it be that the local police who check condos etc every day/week, noted you in the system from your copy passport from the condo office, and checked with immigration, for other things, then knew you werent reported 5 months ago, i mean if they start checking everyone like this, they will need to hire 10,000 more people, its like looking for a needle in a haystack, it just looks somehow you caught the short straw

as to the thai landlord/ thai culture nonsense, you also exist, you werent here on this planet to serve under the oh mighty thai culture, which is mainly indian/aryan in its origins

• Like 2

2 hours ago, at15 said:

So its either swallow my pride and pay or lose face with landlord that has been nothing but good to me. If i refuse to pay would this be a possible deportation ? 

No you cannot be deported. BUT they can add 200 baht for everyday the fine is unpaid.

If you are renting — ‘tourist’ visa status or not — you can be considered the Possessor (tenant) of the property and can legally be fined. Effectively either you or the landlord can be fined.

I suggest you pay up and move! 

• Like 1