illegally fined on tourist visa, accept as thainess?

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Landlord should pay. As a gesture of goodwill offer to pay half otherwise Immigration will charge you next time you go. Landlord sounds like a dick, find a new place

That or pay and take it off from rent. Curious how landlord will react. It’s landlord bill anyways 

It would be unreasonable to fine the landlord, they involved you because they were relying on you to pay, I would not call it a fine. Now that it seems the principle has been accepted that visitors are ‘fair game’ the police can be blatant. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DavisH said:

What's Thai culture got to do with it? It's the responsibility of the house/condo owner to report their foreugn residents. They are the ones who should pay the fine. "You are rich farang, you must pay" is a cop out. I can almost guarantee that your landlord has more money / assets than you do. What's going to happen is that is is going to be more and more difficult for foreigners to rent in Thailand as their landlords would rather not bother with the paperwork and will not like to pay any fines occurred (as you can see). 

or tax! Most don't want to get on the radar in the first place

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, at15 said:

this is what im thinking, paying half is an acceptable resolution. the landlord is not a dick, extremely kind and helpful. you have to understand thai culture, they would not thing this is wrong at all. its like a child who does not know right from wrong, you cannot punish them for that. 

So you think it is acceptable, yet post here to complain about it? 

Forcing other people pay your fines to me is not acceptable. Should I pay the fine of the Thai guy not wearing a helmet, who waits at the lights next to me? 

• Like 2

When I first moved into a condo in Phitsanulok, the juristic person was unaware that forms had to be lodged.

I found out accidently by just walking into the immigration office with a Thai friend, as I knew I had to do 90 day report later.

Took the form back to juristic office for signing etc, first they had been aware of it (large complex) . Many farang with leases. Lodged the forms with 48 hrs, no issues. Police eventually did a "raid" several weeks later. 

12 hours ago, at15 said:

The police agree with the landlord I must pay because we have to take care of Thai people. So its either swallow my pride and pay or lose face with landlord that has been nothing but good to me. If i refuse to pay would this be a possible deportation ? 

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned.

25 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned.

Sounds like OP is renting a room in an apartment, then he isn't the possessor of the residence, but just the possessor of one room of the residence, this would imho be the same as staying in a hotel.

• Haha 1

Just now, marcusarelus said:

When you get a certificate of residency at Immigration don't they report your address?  I believe the fellow did that. 

every person arriving in thailand has to fill out their address on their entry card, it is a moot point. if you are a foreigner upright and drawing air, the police know where you are unless you lied on the form. if your friend or parent came to visit you a week in thailand, would you be telling them to make sure to go into immigration to do a bunch of paperwork? No absolutely not. Im a tourist not a person actually living here. 

every person arriving in thailand has to fill out their address on their entry card, it is a moot point. if you are a foreigner upright and drawing air, the police know where you are unless you lied on the form. if your friend or parent came to visit you a week in thailand, would you be telling them to make sure to go into immigration to do a bunch of paperwork? No absolutely not. Im a tourist not a person actually living here. 
Being a tourist It's only an issue if you have to go to Immigration for an extension

Just now, marcusb said:

Thais not going to fine Thai if a farang can pay. 

best statement of the entire thread. 

some people just cant comprehend things dont work like a western country. 

• Like 2

My landlord always has excuses to not do it as well, already paid a fine previously as I would otherwise waste my time on the extension. 
Pretty done with it, my resolution is moving out after I found a nice place, lot's of choice for little nowadays anyway.

Edited by tabarin

33 minutes ago, at15 said:

The entry card (TM6) is really irrelevant. As soon as the foreigner arrives at the first place they're going to stay a TM30 needs to be completed.  In most cases (for tourists) it will be a hotel, and the foreigner will have no idea that it's been done.  If it's not a hotel, then someone should complete the TM30 within 24 hours.

1 hour ago, at15 said:

if your friend or parent came to visit you a week in thailand, would you be telling them to make sure to go into immigration to do a bunch of paperwork?

Maybe, but if they stay with me, I certainly would be obliged to do it on their behalf

• Like 1

millions of baht contributed to the economy for no reason other than tourism and love for thailand and still treated like a piece of garbage, says it all. once i sell my car its time to move on. 

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, ukrules said:

There's also the arrival form you fill in at the airport.

If they're matching these up and going back in time to check which property owners have registered tourists then they're going to be very busy for the next few years.

Doubt they could read my handwriting... not to mention not enough space allowed to actually write the full address.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

That is not the way I play it. Pushback is my game. I have done this a dozen times. They ask for money and I say no. They get belligerent, and I say BACK DOWN! And start in with a whole litany of law (half of it is made up on the spot), my rights as a Thai resident, my expertise with social media, blah, blah, blah. You do not like it, arrest me, and take me to jail! I want to have a word with your captain. Or the mayor, whom I know. Or I might even talk to Prayuth. They always back down. They get scared and confused. I am not nasty with them. Just very firm. They are looking for an easy mark. They do not expect pushback, and are always surprised by it. All of these guys are basically franchisees, and I do not buy into their level of corruption. Sometimes I offer them 100 baht. Not often. The cops here and immigration are the last people in the world I am afraid of. They need to see more pushback. Thais are afraid to do so. But, I notice a bit of deference to foreigners, and I take full advantage of that! 

im assuming you speak fluent thai, how is this possible otherwise? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not bitter about Thailand and there are very many good things about the country, but this episode shows the all too common Thai attitude to farangs. The fine is against the landlord for not reporting but the Thai police not doubt suggested the farang should pay and the landlord happily agreed. 

If Thai landlords had to pay then maybe they would simplify the rules or make it easier to comply. 24 hours to report is onerous. China lets you register at the local police station instead of going to a possibly distant immigration office.

Supposedly we are so lucky to be allowed to stay in this country that we must not complain, rock the boat or suggest smarter way to do it. 

We are just a cash cow to many of them and the new wider enforcing of TM30 is going to be a financial winner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1