illegally fined on tourist visa, accept as thainess?

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

Sounds like OP is renting a room in an apartment, then he isn't the possessor of the residence, but just the possessor of one room of the residence, this would imho be the same as staying in a hotel.

The possessor of the residence is that person who possesses the right to reside there. The right to reside in a residence owned by someone else is transferred through a rental contract. Ergo the "renter" of a residence is it's "possessor".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

My Thai is limited. They literally just do not expect it. It takes them completely off guard. When I start spouting the law and wanting to talk to the captain and start talking about Facebook they seem to get scared and really unsure of themselves. 

I think the bottom line if they are always looking for an easy mark. And that is what they are accustomed to. Pushback really works. I have used it with cops who try to extract speeding tickets too. Usually I am able to negotiate the fine way down. 

How did you get caught for speeding? I've yet to see a patrol car in Thailand. Only checkpoints.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

pay the fine then tell the landlord you are leaving.

with a big smile of course. the thais like smiling..

then move out, you are a westerner not a doormat.

And there goes his security deposit. All sorts of sh!t will be made up!!

You just talk very calm and polite and you will get your own way just smile and make it very awkward for them with politeness and watch them squirm it takes maybe 2 to 3 minutes they have a very very low tolerance and cannot do confrontation - look them in the eyes and stand your ground - with a smile of course! and be very very polite

You can do anything you want that follows logic of natural law they are well aware of karma just trying their luck - like you say you are a rich farang

Very simple if you move to a new place what can he do he lost Tennant... voila you have the maximum leverage already you are his pay check

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Briggsy said:

What province is this in? 

This is a banana republic, no rule of law here. If the cops say you pay, then you pay. Unless you have clout through connections. Do you?

Rule of thumb : Solve police problems here at the first possible instance, through cash if required.

Definitely a banana, but you might want to be cautious with the second half of your description.

23 hours ago, at15 said:

i am a tourist and have stayed here for years never doing a tm30 once. i mean hell 50% of the time the reception does not even ask for my passport. its the responsibility of the hotel/apartment to do this stuff for tourists.  

living in thailand for 14 years and where ever i go for travel and where ever i stayed the first thing they asked me is my passport. Im not sure your telling the whole story here. Plus i also read some of your other answers in this post and tbh they are fishy too. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, problemfarang said:

living in thailand for 14 years and where ever i go for travel and where ever i stayed the first thing they asked me is my passport. I'm not sure your telling the whole story here. Plus i also read some of your other answers in this post and tbh they are fishy too. 

yep. I am a frequent Thai traveller using hotels from 2 star to 4 star and hostels, . Always get asked. If they are switched on, they want either the visa or the arrival stamp or both as well

2 hours ago, problemfarang said:

living in thailand for 14 years and where ever i go for travel and where ever i stayed the first thing they asked me is my passport. Im not sure your telling the whole story here. Plus i also read some of your other answers in this post and tbh they are fishy too. 

He probably mostly stays at "resorts", they usually don't ask for any ID, not asking for an ID is part of their business model, same as having curtains for the vehicle ????

On 7/22/2019 at 8:15 PM, at15 said:

this is what im thinking, paying half is an acceptable resolution. the landlord is not a dick, extremely kind and helpful. you have to understand thai culture, they would not thing this is wrong at all. its like a child who does not know right from wrong, you cannot punish them for that. 

First suggestion: cut down on your soy intake.

On 7/22/2019 at 8:39 PM, at15 said:

you guys do not understand the thai perspective. if foreigners were not allowed to rent apartments/condos then the landlords would not even be dealing with me right now. for them i should be lucky i am even allowed to enter the kingdom. following the law is all well and good for thai people but i am not thai. this conversation is between an alien and a thai, of course the alien must take fault. initially i was upset but have cooled down and will try to pay half. 

Actually I believe it’s you that doesn’t understand. 

On 7/22/2019 at 8:52 PM, GeorgeCross said:

pay the fine then tell the landlord you are leaving.

with a big smile of course. the thais like smiling..

then move out, you are a westerner not a doormat.

He seems to be quite happy with “welcome” written on his back

From the opening post of this topic:

The police showed up at my residence today and notified the landlord that 5 months ago when i arrived at the apartment they did not report my whereabouts within 24 hours...

Within what time from the arrival at your residence five months ago and by what means did you inform the owner of the residence that you had arrived?

Not so if you are implying the police know he is there already.

When they started with the TM30 in Chiang Mai Imm police came by my condo building and others, checking EVERY foreigner, knocking on doors, checking owner list. I wasn’t there but surrendered later to be fined after staying years in the same room (not fair but got it over with) TM30 is sorted now a requirement not to difficult for most to comply with. Intransigent landlord and Apt managers an exception. Maybe the OP should just pay. It is a one time fine and updating TM30 is a piece of cake.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 8:03 PM, at15 said:

i am a tourist and have stayed here for years never doing a tm30 once. i mean hell 50% of the time the reception does not even ask for my passport. its the responsibility of the hotel/apartment to do this stuff for tourists.  

Same here, not a tourist but I do not checkin and a Thai is always doing it for me, nobody ever tried to ask me my passport.

I do not follow ridiculous laws and people should grow some to do the same !

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:50 AM, Isaan Alan said:

China lets you register at the local police station instead of going to a possibly distant immigration office.

Thailand lets you register online, without going to a Police office