Thailand's June foreign tourist arrivals rise 0.89% y/y - ministry

snoop1130

Thailand's June foreign tourist arrivals rise 0.89% y/y - ministry

Tourism-Thailand.jpg

BANGKOK, July 22 (Reuters) -

* Thailand saw a rise of 0.89% in tourist arrivals in June from a year earlier, after a drop of 1.03% in May, the tourism ministry said in a statement on Monday.

* The 3.05 million tourists in June spent about 150 billion baht ($4.86 billion), up 1.48% from a year earlier.

* Visitors from China, Thailand’s biggest source of tourists, declined 7.1% in June from a year earlier, after falling 8.55% in May.

* Preliminary ministry data this month showed a fall of 4% on the year in June overall tourist arrivals.

* Foreign tourist receipts make up about 12% of Thailand’s gross domestic product. ($1=30.83 baht) (Reporting by Orathai Sriring Editing by Clarence Fernandez)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-22

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand saw a rise of 0.89% in tourist arrivals in June from a year earlier,

"OK you guys! You know what happened to the last two guys who said tourism was down! Their whole family disappeared."

"Do you think they will let us live if we say .89%?"

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

* Visitors from China, Thailand’s biggest source of tourists, declined 7.1% in June from a year earlier, after falling 8.55% in May.

Sorry, but if they are losing near 10% of their biggest tourists from china month on month, I fail to see how 'other' tourists with a strong baht are making anything into positive

30 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Allahu Akbar!

Malaysians dont say that. Thats arabic. Malay word for god is tuhan. Malaysians dont like arabs.

60% of malaysians are muslim. So could be lots of chinese malays crossing the border. But then there are enough girls of the night in malaysia not to need to go. Unless they prefer thai.

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

busier off season than normal imo in Hua Hin..

Funny, I was thinking just the opposite. A friend of mine, who has been here for 15 years and has a very successful business right in the center of the tourist area said this past year has been his worst ever, and if things don't improve he may pull up stakes and shut down. I'm in the Soi 94 area and the restaurants are hurting, but the bars at night seem to be doing ok. I've also noticed more than a few massage places have dropped their prices down to 200 Baht, although this might be normal for low season.

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Preliminary ministry data this month showed a fall of 4% on the year in June overall tourist arrivals. 

But somehow it is 0.89% up? Despite the Chinese who are a huge chunk of the overall numbers being down 7.1%!

Anywhere else in the world, this sort of creative accounting could see you end up in jail.

The real numbers are seen in the empty streets, empty bars, empty restaurants, empty hotels.

Lie all you like TAT, but the truth as they say, is out there, and numbers are low everywhere I see.

35 minutes ago, nickstav said:

Funny, I was thinking just the opposite. A friend of mine, who has been here for 15 years and has a very successful business right in the center of the tourist area said this past year has been his worst ever, and if things don't improve he may pull up stakes and shut down. I'm in the Soi 94 area and the restaurants are hurting, but the bars at night seem to be doing ok. I've also noticed more than a few massage places have dropped their prices down to 200 Baht, although this might be normal for low season.

I know another who had a thriving diving business in Phuket for years. Downturn? What downturn. We're doing fine, thanks. That was until he suddenly put everything up for sale and headed home.

Now this chap is no mug: Clearly he saw writing on the wall and departed on his own terms before...

Well I don't know why, exactly. But knowledge that some form of defecation was hitting the fan...

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

But somehow it is 0.89% up? Despite the Chinese who are a huge chunk of the overall numbers being down 7.1%!

Anywhere else in the world, this sort of creative accounting could see you end up in jail.

The real numbers are seen in the empty streets, empty bars, empty restaurants, empty hotels.

Lie all you like TAT, but the truth as they say, is out there, and numbers are low everywhere I see.

Preliminary is before all the numbers come in Mr Dog. You could put it down to a late surge or numbers coming in late. Depends on the cut off date for the month too. Is it calendar or a 4-4-5 accounting system?

3 hours ago, baboon said:

I know another who had a thriving diving business in Phuket for years. Downturn? What downturn. We're doing fine, thanks. That was until he suddenly put everything up for sale and headed home.

Now this chap is no mug: Clearly he saw writing on the wall and departed on his own terms before...

Well I don't know why, exactly. But knowledge that some form of defecation was hitting the fan...

According to a good friend of mine who until recently ran a dive shop, the diving business was down slightly but still doing OK being a niche area. However the small dive shops are now being hit by big online booking agents e.g. divebooker.com. Maybe your friend saw this coming.

10 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

busier off season than normal imo in Hua Hin..

10 days in Hua Hin few weeks back. Most quiet low season I have seen as long as I remember. Daytime no people at all, only in BP and Village. Night Market really quiet most of days (not really many Chinese tour groups). Talked with few ladies in bars, one went back home after one month staying in HH, as no customers, another one had one customer in month and bars generally had very few customers. Barbershop lady near beach said that only old customers who stay long term. Driver who took us here and there, did not have any other customers in 10 days. Shared hotel with few Chinese and the owner looked like there is no tomorrow. But I like quiet HH, so fine for me even if not good for local business for sure. 

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

8 hours ago, Traubert said:

Preliminary is before all the numbers come in Mr Dog. You could put it down to a late surge or numbers coming in late. Depends on the cut off date for the month too. Is it calendar or a 4-4-5 accounting system?

Or if, like football, it is a 4-3-3 system it may be a game of two halves for TAT: in the first half they were as sick as parrot, but as a result of ‘a late surge’ in the second half, everyone at TAT is now over the moon. Jesus saves, but Somchai scores on the rebound.

Who on earth (literally) would come for a holiday in LoS in June????

Southern hemisphere people ?  But then, winter in Kiwiland and Oz is scarcely cold enough to drive you to LoS.  (Mind you, the two girls in the leading picture sure look like they could be Kiwis or Aussies....)

It’s the damn high Baht that’s bringing Thailand down in all areas—duh.  

Take a bow, Bank of Thailand.  Your intoxication with mysterious hot money bond sales from foreign sources to blame. Get off the hot money—and let the Baht fall.  Thai economy will recover.

7 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

It’s the damn high Baht that’s bringing Thailand down in all areas—duh.  

Take a bow, Bank of Thailand.  Your intoxication with mysterious hot money bond sales from foreign sources to blame. Get off the hot money—and let the Baht fall.  Thai economy will recover.

Check the baht against a standard of value like gold and you will find the baht has stayed about the same since 2014 it is the other currencies that have lost value.  Don't believe me - go look. 

10 hours ago, Sujo said:

Malaysians dont say that. Thats arabic. Malay word for god is tuhan. Malaysians dont like arabs.

60% of malaysians are muslim. So could be lots of chinese malays crossing the border. But then there are enough girls of the night in malaysia not to need to go. Unless they prefer thai.

Yeah, Americans don't really like burgers either. Brother Please!

1 hour ago, mac1970 said:

10 days in Hua Hin few weeks back. Most quiet low season I have seen as long as I remember. Daytime no people at all, only in BP and Village. Night Market really quiet most of days (not really many Chinese tour groups). Talked with few ladies in bars, one went back home after one month staying in HH, as no customers, another one had one customer in month and bars generally had very few customers. Barbershop lady near beach said that only old customers who stay long term. Driver who took us here and there, did not have any other customers in 10 days. Shared hotel with few Chinese and the owner looked like there is no tomorrow. But I like quiet HH, so fine for me even if not good for local business for sure. 

One dynamic about Hua Hin that may not apply to a lot of other places is that a lot of Farang own condos and houses here, but do not live here full time. They are snowbirds that spend the entire winter here golfing and going to the beach. In my previous post I said that the restaurants were hurting, but the bars in my area, which is one of the known expat areas here are doing ok. Most of the bar patrons in my area are expats. The bars in the main tourist area, Soi Bintabaht, are not doing so good. I love Hua Hin in the low season, but surely not good for local business.

Archived