Thailand's June foreign tourist arrivals rise 0.89% y/y - ministry

snoop1130

14 hours ago, madmitch said:

Must be all the Malaysian men hopping over the border for a quickie.

(I read about this earlier but can't find the link.)

Wasn't it under the rather Shakepearian heading

Boomboom town on the border??????

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Nong Khai Man said:

There is a Blogger on Youtube who posted a Video.....He Called it ...Hua-Hin ( The DYING City ) Says it ALL...

I watched the video. The whole video. It says nothing. Total BS. First, it's more than 2 years old and was shot during low season. Two years ago during high season HH was hopping. He shows one small vacant shopping center, not a mall, that by the way is now occupied and one vacant storefront. Things are bad here now like everywhere else, but Hua Hin is not dying and I doubt it will. At least half of all visitors to HH are Thais that come down from Bangkok, easy trip, and they're not going to stop coming. It is a great place for expats to live. Everything is easily accessible.  Sure, the face of tourism here is changing, just like everywhere else, but dying...give me a break.

57 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

But this guy DID Show a LOT Of Shops & Even what he said was a Nearly New Mall on the Main road out of HH Closed Down as there was very LITTLE Business !! The Camera Doesn't LIE !!

The camera shows only what you point it at!!

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I was at Central Embassy in Bangkok - loaded with Chinese tourists buying everything in sight.  They also buy condos for cash as they are trying to get money out of China.  Do your research about spending habits of Chinese tourists.  What is the ratio now?  1000 Chinese to one European?  They really don't have to spend as much to be a massive economic force.  

For someone that seems obsessed with statistics you do appear to be prone to exaggeration!

However I do agree that there are a number of big spending Chinese in Thailand, but many, many more high spenders are travelling further afield: I've visited several northern European capitals in the past week and all, without exception, have had more Chinese tourists than I would have expected. And these are expensive places.

This does lead me to believe. that those with spending power, unless they are looking to invest in property, are  shunning the likes of Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam and travel further afield. Luxury goods are cheaper in London and Paris than they are in Thailand.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Tourism is not up. There is a zero percent chance this information is true. I have alot of friends in the industry. I know alot of people who have small hotels and guest houses. And a GM in Chiang Mai, at a five star hotel. Also, know some people who own massage shops, restaurants, bars and shops. All say the same thing. Tourism is way, way down, and sales and bookings and occupancy levels are way, way down. Thailand is due for a world of hurt, in the very near future. They do not see it coming, as vision is not a part of the culture here. But, things are changing, in a huge way. And though my heart goes out to the average Thai, the government is getting what they deserve. Years of xenophobic hatred and racism, insular policies, blaming foreigners for everything, and fear of the outside world, is coming back to haunt them. The people despise the army and Prayuth. They are doing a tremendous disservice to the nation. They are incompetent beyond belief, and the worst thing to ever happen to Thailand. Out with the army! 

Sounds a lot like the Brexit situation to me... Also probably due to Pound falling because of Brexit, less Brits coming on holiday because of it?

https://thepattayanews.com/2019/07/22/ministry-of-tourism-releases-official-half-year-tourism-statistics-slight-increase-indians-drive-tourism/?fbclid=IwAR3tuHsIJ2x7K8XToGma1wJfhvdW4JKohq2DOE4qiHGJ07Z6P7M3YV1SnpQ

So we have the average spending figures per tourist Jan-Jun 2019, compared to 2018:-

1. Australia - 80,555 baht (less tourists & less spend pp)

2. U.K. - 80,039 baht (more tourists but less spend pp)

3. U.S.A. - 76,084 baht (more tourists)

4. Russia - 74,753 baht (less tourists & less spend pp)

5. Europe - 73,144 baht (less tourists & less spend pp)

6. China - 54,943  baht (less tourists but more spend pp)

7. Japan - 43,176 baht (more tourists & more spend pp)

8. India - 40,207 baht (more tourists & more spend pp)

14 hours ago, baboon said:

I know another who had a thriving diving business in Phuket for years. Downturn? What downturn. We're doing fine, thanks. That was until he suddenly put everything up for sale and headed home.

Now this chap is no mug: Clearly he saw writing on the wall and departed on his own terms before...

Well I don't know why, exactly. But knowledge that some form of defecation was hitting the fan...

From first hand info from a foreigner who was in the Phuket dive business. The Thais in same business do not like competition from foreigners. 

15 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sorry, but if they are losing near 10% of their biggest tourists from china month on month, I fail to see how 'other' tourists with a strong baht are making anything into positive

Yes simple maths show the claims to be ridiculous . The Chinese are overwhelmingly the largest tourist group so to offset their loss would require a staggering increase elsewhere.

Only by adding in Laos traders , Cambodian migrants and Malaysian sex weekenders could you balance the scales.

This sounds like a rebuttal from last weeks article about tourism numbers down so much. Which has been the complete opposite what TAT has been saying all year. Face saving at it's best. They can fabricate their numbers all they want at TAT but the facts do not change. 

21 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Yes simple maths show the claims to be ridiculous . The Chinese are overwhelmingly the largest tourist group so to offset their loss would require a staggering increase elsewhere.

Only by adding in Laos traders , Cambodian migrants and Malaysian sex weekenders could you balance the scales.

2019 tourist figures show Europeans(not incl Russia/U.K./Scandinavia) as by far the 2nd largest group & their figures are decreasing:-

1. China 5.6m (down)

2. Europe 3.5m (down) (not incl Russia/Scandinavia/U.K.)

3. India 978k (up)

4. Japan 864k (up)

5. Russia 825k (down)

6. U.S.A. 595k (up)

7. U.K. 504k (up)

8. Australia 377k (down)

3 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

If You're NOT Making ANY Profit.............It's Time to Pack it in !!

I hear what you say, and in some ways I agree. However, there is just enough to keep the Wife in necessities, and it is her bar which gives her an interest......:smile:. Besides that, who wants to buy a bar in the middle of a tourist drought........unless you are interested...........:drunk:

14 minutes ago, steven100 said:

no ….. this can't be happening ,  TV farang say the numbers are going down everyday.

lol 

Arrivals have dropped because of the baht’s strength, Piphat Ratchakitprakarn, minister of tourism and sports, told reporters in Bangkok after he officially began his new role.

You are right, here's another TV farang saying the same thing!

If the Boss would have a long look at himself,,, cancel the high speed trains, continue upgrading the present system (if the SRT will listen to him) use that money on BASIC infrastructure like decent sewerage treatment , fat separators. training staff NOT to rip people off (taxis)

leave the working girls alone, (they are more  organized than your government,

Try & get the Police to reduce the carnage by actually working,

look after the high end tourists & stop polluting the place with the low end hordes,

get the smile back on Thai faces after all the military rule.

When you have fixed that lot give me a yell Boss,,, there's more

2 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

https://thepattayanews.com/2019/07/22/ministry-of-tourism-releases-official-half-year-tourism-statistics-slight-increase-indians-drive-tourism/?fbclid=IwAR3tuHsIJ2x7K8XToGma1wJfhvdW4JKohq2DOE4qiHGJ07Z6P7M3YV1SnpQ

So we have the average spending figures per tourist Jan-Jun 2019, compared to 2018:-

1. Australia - 80,555 baht (less tourists & less spend pp)

2. U.K. - 80,039 baht (more tourists but less spend pp)

3. U.S.A. - 76,084 baht (more tourists)

4. Russia - 74,753 baht (less tourists & less spend pp)

5. Europe - 73,144 baht (less tourists & less spend pp)

6. China - 54,943  baht (less tourists but more spend pp)

7. Japan - 43,176 baht (more tourists & more spend pp)

8. India - 40,207 baht (more tourists & more spend pp)

Japan sticks out like a sore thumb. Did they start some zero yen tours or what? 

I do not really understand the thinking. A tourist come here for two to four weeks and spend some money. A longstayer bring in about the same money for about 52 weeks a year. Maybe time for TAT and IO to start walk the same paht. 

The TAT has been saying that tourism has been steadily growing since I got here 12 years ago, but my eyes tell me a completely different story.  I tend to believe my eyes.

22 hours ago, Sujo said:

Malaysians dont say that. Thats arabic. Malay word for god is tuhan. Malaysians dont like arabs.

60% of malaysians are muslim. So could be lots of chinese malays crossing the border. But then there are enough girls of the night in malaysia not to need to go. Unless they prefer thai.

they love the MAL- prohibited combination of Thai girls, big pork knuckles, boozing till half dead

11 hours ago, moe666 said:

CM has an uptick in tourist mostly the summer students on a 5 week tour of southeast asia. A few days in every country on the way to the next country, about 3 to 5 days in CM then off to BKK. Chinese tourist seem to be picking up as well see them mostly in the old city mucking up the roads. We went to a eatery in the old city and a chinese guest cut the bill payment a bit as the staff went running to the front after the issue was found but long gone

Backpackers are big spenders. Order a water and ask for the free wifi password. Nurse the water for a couple of hours.

13 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

We have had the bar since April 2016. Up until last October monthly takings were averaging 150k to 180k. Now it is 50k to 60k per month. Just enough to pay staff, rent, electric. Not a lot else. 

Most tourist are Chinese. Millions. 

Today I go to my friend elephant village. 

21 buses of Chinese. Pay minimum 400 baht, maximum 2,800 baht.

I did not see any farang, but my friend said some German come this morning, not many. One van.

You want to make profit, you must get the China customer. But if a farang “beer bar” with sex worker, the Chinese not interested that one.

good luck!

Unixx condo has more Airbnb, booking.com short stay rentals in June than May, July even more so. Don't know where they go to spend their money, but they are ubiquitous. Australia, China, India, and Russia main visitors

Most tourist are Chinese. Millions. 
Today I go to my friend elephant village. 
21 buses of Chinese. Pay minimum 400 baht, maximum 2,800 baht.
I did not see any farang, but my friend said some German come this morning, not many. One van.
You want to make profit, you must get the China customer. But if a farang “beer bar” with sex worker, the Chinese not interested that one.

good luck!

Figures Jan-Jun 2019 say different:-

Chinese tourists = 5.6m, spend 55k pp =
3,080,000,000 baht.
Farang tourists = 5.8m, spend 73-80k pp =
4,350,000,000 baht.

Thailand received 1.27 billion baht more from farang than Chinese in just 6 months!

Figures for Scandinavia haven’t been listed but farang tourists still outnumber Chinese and also spend almost 50% more money.

U.K. tourists = 500k, spend 80k pp
Russia tourists = 825k, spend 75k pp
USA tourists = 595k, spend 76k pp
Australia tourists = 377k, spend 80k pp
Rest of europe = 3.5m, spend 73k pp

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The girl stuffing her face whilst walking down the street deserves to be fat. And she will get fatter and fatter no doubt and she won't understand why. Wait for mealtimes and eat at the table. It's healthier and more sociable. 

Archived