Asking for trouble? Entering with "full" P.P.

Apologies for the large type below.  I can't find an option to lower the size other than retyping it all (iPhone).

Greetings all,

I've been reading/watching all of the entry denials, etc. with mixed feelings over the last months. 

As far as the denials have gone (be it Suvan/DM or other airports on Visa Exempt/SETV,METV, etc.), I haven't noticed much mention of westerners married to Thais (versus singles) being denied entry.

It appears that most (if not all) of the reported cases of denial of entry were not married to a Thai.  Would you agree?  

<Too much passport info. follows>

Ok, my deal is:

US passport

Male, Under 50

Married to Thai (7 years)

Currently my PP has (a whopping) 8 Visa Exempts spread through 2018 (literally Jan. 18' - Dec. 18.') and 1 used Single Entry Tourist Visa (from KL).  

No extensions.  

One back to back (VE > SETV).

The VEs range from a couple days to one month and the SETV was used for 2 months.  In total, I was in Thailand for about 5 1/2 months last year.  

My last departure is dated Dec. 15, 2018, so I have been outside Thailand for nearly 7 months now.

Before that, one VE January, 2016 (10 days) and another July-Aug. 2014.

The first 3 pages of my passport include extensions of stay, etc. revolving around a Non B for Dec 2012 - Jan. 2014.

So, all in all and especially given the new murky waters, quite a mess of a passport in most IO's eyes, I suppose.  

The Thai stamps aren't alone, at least.  I've got Arab visas, African, European, South American and other Asian destinations mixed in as well.  17 blank pages remain and 4 more years of validity.

For you, would it just be an absolute new level of stupid to attempt to come in via Suvan airport on a VE in a week or so from now?

I'd have cash, return flight (in 2 weeks), Saudi resident card, work contract, marriage cert, letter from wife w/number + ID#.

I realize that no one can predict the decision of a Thai IO. 

I hear you already: "Get a new passport and/or a proper visa ya <deleted>!" 

This potential trip has come up suddenly as did current employment in Saudi and wifey has no idea about any of these immigration stories.  In her mind it's all so simple, "you're no criminal, never broke the law or overstayed, etc....just come and see me."

Do you think in this case marriage makes any difference or nada? 

Do you feel the sheer amount of stamps will land me a certain denial and a spot on the airport bunk bed?  

I'd write her home address, family visit on arrival card and when/if asked say I'm coming to visit wife.

I know it's a guess at best but what's yours?

Thanks & Cheers

Edited by Scott
Font

Come on visa exempt, if any questions you have enough evidence to prove you don't work here, you live in Saudi Arabia (resident card), and you are just coming to see the wife for a short visit.

with all the documentation you are bringing, I am sure you will be fine. Just make sure your wife is by the phone when you are due to land if you have any issues.

Due to the hearsay from those taking the word of anonymous people here, people like yourself are getting worried and concerned.

You may get asked to get the correct visa for a person married to a Thai national, and if that is the case, thank the officer and advise them you will do that next time. Sleep easy and let us know how you get on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WXYknot said:

Do you think in this case marriage makes any difference or nada? 

Yes. If they ask the reason for your visit make it clear that you are only making a short visit to see your wife. And show the supporting papers if necessary.

1 hour ago, WXYknot said:

Do you feel the sheer amount of stamps will land me a certain denial and a spot on the airport bunk bed?  

IMO you have 0% chance of being denied.

You should be using a Non-Immigrant visa and some IO’s may make that point. They are stopping long term tourists trying to live in the country. You clearly aren’t doing that.

If your planning multiple entries during the next year, and want to avoid possible scrutiny at the border, it would be best to get a ME Non O in the future.

This is a hard one. You come across well in writing, and I suspect also in person. I think questioning is likely, but you can probably talk your way in.

Much better would be to get a multiple entry Non O visa and avoid all the stress. Any chance you could stop of in Ho Chi Minh City for a couple of days on your way to Bangkok to get this sorted out?

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

Unless I read it wrong you have not been in Thailand this year ?

You will be fine !!!

Not necessarily - he may be told to get a Non O as when entering for the purpose of visiting a Thai wife, he is not considered a tourist. Thankfully, it seems that the usual position is that you are warned on this and not denied - I was and so was a friend.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for your input and further suggestions (to Scott for apparently fixing my font issue) and sorry for the delayed response.

I'll give it a shot and hope for the best.  

I'm obviously toeing the iffy line with my past travel history coupled with the lack of a Non O but...we shall see.  

@BritTim I appreciate your suggestion and that'd certainly seal the deal.  It's such a short break this time of year, unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came through.

Gotta admit, I was pretty nervous.  

Very, very few farangis around - but ME flight and all...

...was waiting in a short line (avoiding the older Fem IOs) and had a middle-aged male checker ahead of me.

After a few other travelers filed in behind me, an old fem biddy takes my chosen IO's place(!)  

Blast the luck.  

And she did not appear to be pleasantly disposed - a bit peeved actually.

I felt visibly agitated, so I stepped out of the IO's line and walked back to the gal checking passenger's TM6s in the initial (sectioned) line.  

"Errr, I forgot to ask you,...errr wife's address here is ok?,...and visit wife here is ok?"

Slightly annoyed, "Yes, yes...This good."

Then I found a new line with 2 male IOs at the end.  

The younger one bowed out and another old biddy came and snappily moved some of us over.  

I'm thinking, "crap, now I've been 'placed,' so I can't move again - but I got a middle aged male IO. 

Mid-fingerprints,...he says: "No visa?"  

"No sir."

"Visit wife huh?"

"Yes, in Udon."

"2 weeks is enough?" playfully.

"No never!"

Smiles exchanged.

Stamp 1 month. "Thank you Mr. WXYknot."

Sorry for the buildup for a non-dramatic end....but all's well that ends well.

PS: Right before final approach I went to the tail end of the aircraft to voice my concern to the flight staff and one gal was keen to discuss it a little.  I think she was Arab-Asian mixed.  Anyways, she had read something about "the cull" somewhere online and expressed some wonderment.  

Asked if I could walk in with them.  She did eye the boss but....he didn't take the right kinda' shine to me.

1st time I felt nervous at Bkk immigration.  (Coming and/living-working since 95.'

Times,..(as you all know)..they are a changin.'  

All the best.

PSS:  Almost afraid to ask...but if somebody'd be so kind.

Hotel (Bkk) tonight then wife's home (Udon stix) tomorrow...

Does she (we) need to file a TM 30 w/ Udon immigration?  

Or is that a negatory as I'm on a Visa Exempt(?)

I don't remember seeing specifics regarding TM30s & VEs, but seems like she'd be in violation by not reporting my foreignness.  

Thx

12 minutes ago, WXYknot said:

Does she (we) need to file a TM 30 w/ Udon immigration?  

Technically, it is required. As a practical matter, you are only in Thailand for a couple of weeks, and unlikely to need to liaise with the local immigration office. No drama is likely if you feel it is too much trouble.

• Like 1