Stuff to bring from UK for a 3 month stay that is worth the hassle and cheaper

On 7/25/2019 at 2:37 PM, treetops said:

I'm only dragging it 20 yards or so, the other 6,000 ish miles are taken care of by taxi/airport/airline etc.

Why shouldn't someone bring something they enjoy and save money too, they can still try new Thai stuff in addition to it, and there are no negatives for an individual, unless your a real miserable git.

Tea bags normal and the caffeine free ones if you use them,your usual razor blades, favourite deodorant and smells.none off them are really heavy.

On 7/29/2019 at 7:53 PM, norfolkandchance said:

Same for me. I bring back Salami, Sausages. Olive oil, Mayonnaise, Balsamic Vinegar and chocolate for the kids in the street. No spills to date.

choco for kids in the street, like casting pearls to swine.

Nespresso machine, whatever for, the machines are available here and not expensive, leave it in your condo for next year.

Nowadays there so much good coffee from the hilltribe areas why take nespreso capsules half way around the world.

Two more items for your list:

- Your favorite toilet paper

- Toothpicks.

Another point, many airlines seem to be getting on the new approach to check-in luggage, buy the weight you want as book on-line, luggage fees go up per kilo booked / paid for. So why bring things like machines and weighty food stuffs all readily available here. Be adventurous. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

Nespresso machine, whatever for, the machines are available here and not expensive, leave it in your condo for next year.

Nowadays there so much good coffee from the hilltribe areas why take nespreso capsules half way around the world.

- Toothpicks.

Another point, many airlines seem to be getting on the new approach to check-in luggage, buy the weight you want as book on-line, luggage fees go up per kilo booked / paid for. So why bring things like machines and weighty food stuffs all readily available here. Be adventurous. 

Very true [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

- Toothpicks.

Sounds like the plan is to prepare every meal exactly as at home in the UK (gravox granules).

Then why go on holiday. Surely a holiday in Thailand for UK folks would be to explore another culture, surely that means food, and here in Thailand there's enough variety to have something different for every meal or at least 1 or 2 meals a day. And full preparation of a full meal is time consuming, no time to explore. 

Reminds me of a story I heard years ago, a couple from Australia had bought  a condo in Phuket, came to visit for a week twice a year, between hols the place was fully locked up, the wife spent the whole week to do a total clean.

The husband ran backwards and forwards buying cleaning stuff and buying food from an Australian restaurant to take back to the condo because they didn't want to dirty the kitchen and they ate out of the plastic bags with plastic forks and spoons, also to avoid dirtying 1 or 2 pieces of crockery.

They had installed a washing machine but they took all their dirty laundry back to Australia to avoid any clean up around the washing machine. Sad.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:16 AM, NightSky said:

To follow after a traditional UK chicken tikka kebab with chilli sauce of course..

A traditional UK kebab. What planet am I on?

What happened to whelks, a pint of shrimps and jellied eels?

Traditional kebab? Go for a curry?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:13 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Extra mature Cheddar cheese, at least 4 kilo's.

Stilton cheese.

Mitchum roll on deodorant (you can only buy Nivea here)  

Yorkshire Teabags.

Bovril.

Marmite.

Oxo cubes.

And if you want to make your own pickles - Like Beetroot, Onions or Eggs you can buy Brown Malt vinegar from Siambury's at a very good price for over 1/2 litre. 

Yorkshire is world renowned for its tea plantations.

4 hours ago, emptypockets said:

You will get pretty close to that if you try to import pork or chicken. Read up on asia and stop being a know it all European. Serious stuff in this part of the world.

I'm not.

And, Mr Pockets, your 'trolling' or whatever it might be called, is a somewhat tiring.

Don't really live in Thailand do you, you little rascal.

SarcasticMammothBuzzard-size_restricted.gif

On 8/4/2019 at 5:04 PM, scorecard said:

Sounds like the plan is to prepare every meal exactly as at home in the UK (gravox granules).

Then why go on holiday. Surely a holiday in Thailand for UK folks would be to explore another culture, surely that means food, and here in Thailand there's enough variety to have something different for every meal or at least 1 or 2 meals a day. And full preparation of a full meal is time consuming, no time to explore. 

Reminds me of a story I heard years ago, a couple from Australia had bought  a condo in Phuket, came to visit for a week twice a year, between hols the place was fully locked up, the wife spent the whole week to do a total clean.

The husband ran backwards and forwards buying cleaning stuff and buying food from an Australian restaurant to take back to the condo because they didn't want to dirty the kitchen and they ate out of the plastic bags with plastic forks and spoons, also to avoid dirtying 1 or 2 pieces of crockery.

They had installed a washing machine but they took all their dirty laundry back to Australia to avoid any clean up around the washing machine. Sad.

We live in the condo for 3 months and my wife is a superb cook and loves soiurcing and cooking the ingredients- we have money but don't see any point in wasting it. We would have to pay £££ in Jomtien to beat her cooking and she makes a mean pizza in a frying pan on an  electric stove !

19 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

We live in the condo for 3 months and my wife is a superb cook and loves soiurcing and cooking the ingredients- we have money but don't see any point in wasting it. We would have to pay £££ in Jomtien to beat her cooking and she makes a mean pizza in a frying pan on an  electric stove !

Yes, but what is your answer to the OP's question ?

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes, but what is your answer to the OP's question ?

In the last 25 years of visiting Thailand I have spent probably 2.5 years in country including working 9 months 15 years ago and travelled to every province , beach , island that one can care to think of and that includes the south Yala and Phatthalung  and 3 dullish days in Loei.  Consider the culture explored - including a 5 day silent meditation course in Chiang Mai, two week English teaching at a state school, scuba diving , deep sea fishing , etc etc.  We've eaten out at Michelin starred restaurants to hole in the wall noodle houses. Was on Samed when the Tsunami hit and in country for two coups and speak Thai functionally. So once we are in country we go to to get away from British winters and live frugally and happily in our condo.  We just like to exercise each morning ,swim in the condo pool  , cook go and meet family and friends and generally chill. We travel far more when we are back in the Uk and do far more cultural activities , gigs, theatre , festivals than we do in Thailand. If we didn't have family there I wouldn't be going back. Particularly as it ain't particularly cheap anymore. At least we buy the 10 baht pineapples at Thappraya Road wholesale market rather than the 3 baht pile of duds the Russians spend hours poring over.....

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Haha 1

On 8/7/2019 at 7:34 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

" Me and my better half have a 3 month stay in our condo every winter and try to bring stuff from the UK that is worth the hassle..... Any other suggestions ?"

Yeah, ... don't bring the better half.

Bring nothing, take the challenge and tough it out totally on all products whether food or whatever. In reality the range of foods here is enormous.

It's actually a very tiny challenge and you learn many interesting and new things along the way. 

On 7/23/2019 at 5:55 AM, jastheace said:

anything I forgot ????

condoms

quality contact lens solution

extra electric toothbrush heads

electric body groomer for body hair

voltage converter if needed

Edited by fhickson
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 7:34 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

" Me and my better half have a 3 month stay in our condo every winter and try to bring stuff from the UK that is worth the hassle..... Any other suggestions ?"

Yeah, ... don't bring the better half.

Or stay home but live in just one room in your house for 3 months, or maybe a tent in your home garden for 3 months.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Or stay home but live in just one room in your house for 3 months, or maybe a tent in your home garden for 3 months.

Which would be a cold ,wet and dark British winter - no thanks. Anyway it's our base in Thailand our home in the heart of Jomtien village ! The best weather (in fact the only weather we can bear) is in those 3 golden months. And my missus can go and see her family in the south whilst I busy myself in the condo and have some peace and quiet. ????????

We are in our late 50s and childless but our lovely neice is only 30 minutes away - we are family people not night hawks now.