Minister vows to stop elephants being sent abroad

webfact

Minister vows to stop elephants being sent abroad

By THE NATION

800_d45c59ed52a575d.jpg?v=1563792634

Natural Resources Minister Warawuth Silpa-archa pledged on Monday to temporarily nullify a rule that allows elephants to be sent overseas.

Warawuth told a group of NGOs earlier in the day that he disagreed with sending elephants out of Thailand. He said he had personal knowledge of the subject and appreciated that elephants needed to live permanently with their original families for the sake of their physical and mental health.

A network of environmental and animal advocacy groups said a long-standing Commerce Ministry regulation allowed elephants to be sent overseas as gifts or in exchange programmes.

The group claimed many people had exploited this rule over the years and that many elephants had died or suffered serious illnesses along the way during the long journeys.

The activists also called on Warawuth to strictly enforce rules against poaching and any violation of laws related to the conservation of natural resources, citing as an example the infamous case of a business executive suspected of shooting dead and killing a panther.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373408

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-07-23

Thai elephants are a unique member of the Indian sub-species. Sadly, with destruction of their natural environment, abuse through use in tourism, deaths though mismanagement of national parks, and "harvesting" for illegal purposes, sending Thai elephants overseas may be the only way to preserve them for the future. 

Moreover, if what the minister said was true and through his "personal knowledge of the subject" he was aware that "elephants needed to live permanently with their original families for the sake of their physical and mental health", he should immediately ban all cruel elephant tourism!

22 minutes ago, bangkokfrog said:

Thai elephants are a unique member of the Indian sub-species.

Why are they unique? I just looked at wikipedia and I think you may have made a typo (assuming Wikipedia is correct that is) ???

44 minutes ago, bangkokfrog said:

Thai elephants are a unique member of the Indian sub-species. Sadly, with destruction of their natural environment, abuse through use in tourism, deaths though mismanagement of national parks, and "harvesting" for illegal purposes, sending Thai elephants overseas may be the only way to preserve them for the future. 

Moreover, if what the minister said was true and through his "personal knowledge of the subject" he was aware that "elephants needed to live permanently with their original families for the sake of their physical and mental health", he should immediately ban all cruel elephant tourism!

I agree with most of your premises, however, tourist can and should enjoy being close enough to appreciate the magnificence of the Thai elephants if it's managed and done correctly by the right people and while preserving the dignity and the needs of the beats...

All joking aside, the mistreatment of animals, all animals, is the shame of humanity (which I have a very low opinion of). Regarding the elephants in Thailand, all those places that offer elephant rides should be closed down and every effort should be taken to preserve these magnificent animals.

I lived in the suburbs of Pattaya near the Elephant Village; near the court in Na Jomtien was a tourist trap with elephant rides (no clue, where these rides were heading to). Same applies to Chiang Mai's "elephant business" and the yearly rannygazoo in November in Surin with their elephant round-up. 

In many cases elephants would be far better off in an Western zoo; the way certain Thais deal with their National animal is a disgrace to this country. 

Warawuth Silpa-archa; the family name sounds familiar. Less in elephant affairs but he would not be living in Banharn-buri co-incidentially; just asking ............

The Officials cannot even stop these poor Animals being sent to places like Pattaya,where they are walked around the streets by so called " Carers " , who ask for a " Donation " to help feed the Elephant.

In reality, the money is used to buy Whisky and Beer, ( and its not for the Elephant )

I ask each and everyone to not give these " Donations ", and that way eventually the Elephants will not be exploited,as there will be money to be made from them.

On 7/23/2019 at 9:01 AM, MRToMRT said:

Why are they unique? I just looked at wikipedia and I think you may have made a typo (assuming Wikipedia is correct that is) ???

To quote Wikipedia; "Thai elephants have slight differences from other elephants of that (the Indian) sub-species. They are smaller, have shorter front legs, and a thicker body than their Indian counterparts."

Archived