Ex- Deputy PM stunned by the words ‘intelligent country’ in government policy

webfact

Ex- Deputy PM stunned by the words ‘intelligent country’ in government policy

Korbsak-Sabhavasu.jpg

(Photo) Korbsak Sabhavasu’s Facebook page

Former deputy prime minister Korbsak Sabhavasu said today (Monday) that he was stunned that the government dared to use the words ‘intelligent country’ in the policy statement to be presented to parliament on July 25th and 26th by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.

“(I) didn’t expect that they would dare to write such policy. ‘Toward intelligent country’, so far-fetched.  May I ask, is there anyone who knows the meaning of an ‘intelligent country’?” tweeted Kobsak in reference to government policy No 5.7 about the development of infrastructure through digital technology.

The former Democrat party deputy prime minister, however, praised policy No 7 of the Education Ministry about plans to prepare Thai people to meet the challenges of the 21st century.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/ex-pm-stunned-by-the-words-intelligent-country-in-government-policy/

15 minutes ago, webfact said:

“(I) didn’t expect that they would dare to write such policy. ‘Toward intelligent country’, so far-fetched.  May I ask, is there anyone who knows the meaning of an ‘intelligent country’?”

Finally, a Thai person who live in real Thailand and not the make believe by the dreamers and self deniers and  sees this country for what it's really is, a beautiful country indeed, but far from being intelligent, not in human material quality or technology, not yet anyway...

"He pointed out that the government’s populist policies, intended to win the votes of poor people, would be a nightmare for people with fixed salaries because they will have their income taxes deducted by their employers and consumers will be charged VAT for every item of goods they purchased."

Isn't that the way everywhere else in the world? To me the précis is written to enrage us because we expect the government to be "out of touch with reality" but when I read the PBS article I read it as though Korbsak Sabhavasu is out of touch with reality. 

Not too much intelligence being demonstrated so far by the new ministry if the announcement by the Minister for Tourism is anything to go by.

He came out with the brilliant idea of enticing western foreigners to come back to Thailand by promoting massage and ganja.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Former deputy prime minister Korbsak Sabhavasu said today (Monday) that he was stunned that the government dared to use the words ‘intelligent country’ in the policy statement to be presented to parliament

what he is stunned at and is shown laughing at is the use of the words 'intelligent' and (thai) 'government' in the same sentence

24 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

According to WP, he was educated in the west and he seems to get it.
Many of the Thais "educated" here are easily dumbfounded.

or...Just plain dumb.

It's not that the general populace lacks the ability to be intelligent. However, the "educational system" conditions students to accept anything that is taught to them without question. Grades are handed out in a manner, so no one loses face. 'Cheating" in not an infraction. It's dismissed as being communal sharing.

I have met a number of Thais who have been granted Masters Degrees, but are unable to figure out simple fractions and percentages, which any 4th grader in the west could rattle off in their heads. 

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Finally, a Thai person who live in real Thailand and not the make believe by the dreamers and self deniers and  sees this country for what it's really is, a beautiful country indeed, but far from being intelligent, not in human material quality or technology, not yet anyway...

Ahh, if only that were the truth Ezzra. 

I think the real motivation behind his statements are a bitterness that he is now being denied a prime seat at the trough from which he has so richly feasted!

1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:

There they go again.

"plans to prepare Thai people to meet the challenges of the 21st century'

Better hurry, You have missed one fifth of it already.

They really don't have much of a chance. 

Providing simple unskilled labor (agriculture) and semi-skilled labor (foreign directed manufacturing) worked well for them because, to their credit, they are fairly robust and tough, and because it is easy to protect local markets from competition. 

However, moving to a knowledge/services/high tech economy is probably out of their reach for at least a full generation or longer (20 years or more). 

The Thai schooling system is just awful and doesn't prepare pupils even minimally for competition. 

They cannot protect the Thai market from competition as easily because of technology and globally integrated markets. 

And yet they are STILL wasting time fooling around in every important way and making anti-progress.

It will all hit them like a massive coconut falling on their collective head from a tall tree. 

Kudos to Korbsak for being frank, and telling it like it is, when it comes to this incredibly incompetent administration. There is nothing about the army here, that has any connection with intelligence. Nothing. Some of the polices proposed would be really good for the Thai people. The common people. But, like the past five years, barely anything was ever implemented, that was proposed. And if implemented, the follow up never lasted more than two weeks.

So, forgive us for having extremely low expectations of Prayuth Part II. He is hapless beyond the boundaries of one's imagination. He is the wrong leader at the wrong time, and is leading Thailand backwards on a dozen different levels. The army really, really needs to go. Thailand has absolutely no use for them, they are universally despised, and they do nothing to benefit the nation. 

My advise is to go smart before intelligent. Thailand has yet to reach the level of a smart country where information and communication technology are extensively used more efficiently and in delivering better service to the people. To jump to an intelligent country where the people work in a broadband economy will be like learning how to run before you can walk. 

Archived