One killed, two hurt in vocational school brawl in Bangkok

webfact

One killed, two hurt in vocational school brawl

By The Nation

800_81e387394bc4d69.jpg?v=1563846530

Police are hunting for a group of vocational school students who allegedly shot dead a student of a rival school and injured two others in Bangkok’s Bang Na district Monday evening.

A police source said police have learned the identifies of the group of 22 students of a vocational school in Tambon Phraek Sa in Samut Prakan’s Muang district. Police are now gathering more evidence before seeking arrest warrants against them, the source added.

Police checked security cameras and found that 22 students from the vocational school in Phraek Sa used 12 motorcycles in a stake out set up at kilometre marker 2 on the Bang Na-Trat highway to wait for students of a rival school in Phra Khanong area. 

When the three students from the Phra Khanong arrived on two motorcycles, the group of 22 students chased after them and caught up with them near the Maple Hotel on the feeder road to the flyover on Srinakarin Road above the highway.

Someone from the group then fired at the three students, killing one and injuring two others, before the group fled.

The police source said the Phraek Sa students were apparently taking a revenge for an attack on students from an allied school in the Ramkhamhaeng area by students from the Phra Khanong school.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373440

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-07-23

11 minutes ago, MaxLee said:

Woaaaah, that is one of many ways to my home..... I know Maple Hotel all too well by passing it every now and then when I turn onto Srinakarin Road....... 

yep. me too. My kid passes it on the way to school. Way too close to home.

school kids armed with guns, young killers, i was sat in a bar at  4-30 pm, a Thai soap was on the TV, i have never seen so much violence, they see this every day on the tv. in my day it was a one on one fist fight, no knives or weapons, so this one person with a gun, kills one, wounds two, (he will be dobbed in by his so called *mates*) thats what they do here. hopefuly will spend many years locked up, not holding my breath on that one, will play the juvenile card.

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

been going on for many years in this country, not new at all..

Probably the only knowledgeable post in the thread so far. Vocational schools of this type churn out changs, fitters, mechanics and the like. This type of violence has been ongoing for years, often between the very same institutions.

A number of facets of this particular type of violence always surprise me in their bizareness and difference from the West:-

1. The students strongly identify with their college. Not very rebellious in the Western-style, is it? 

2. The teachers come and bail them out with a guarantee. The cops are okay with this. 

3. The ritual or practice is accepted by Thai society, with all authorities turning a blind eye.

All of the above facets can be fully or partly explained by the patronage structure of Thai society and the fact that schools and colleges are very much part of this.

The violence aspect is universal to all cultures from football supporters of Millwall to tribal warfare in New Guinea. It just interests me how Thailand has ritualised the whole process within the patronage system.

20 hours ago, mercman24 said:

school kids armed with guns, young killers, i was sat in a bar at  4-30 pm, a Thai soap was on the TV, i have never seen so much violence, they see this every day on the tv. in my day it was a one on one fist fight, no knives or weapons, so this one person with a gun, kills one, wounds two, (he will be dobbed in by his so called *mates*) thats what they do here. hopefuly will spend many years locked up, not holding my breath on that one, will play the juvenile card.

TV soaps is where they learn about Thai culture.

22 hours ago, SammyT said:

God, I thought post high school education was about getting drunk and trying to get laid. Not murdering people from a different school to you. 

And because they were enemies of an allied school ...not yours!! I keep telling people, group IQ 65 what do you expect?

5 hours ago, MaxLee said:

Lucky for me, I haven't been hit by a random bullet through my car window, yet

It is not so common in samut prakan that bystanders get hit, but ofc it may happen, just today a man got stabbed by 3 teenagers in samut prakan just for looking at them, that happens all over Thailand regularly, samut prakan is a violent city/province but there is worse 

2 hours ago, ta158 said:

It is not so common in samut prakan that bystanders get hit, but ofc it may happen, just today a man got stabbed by 3 teenagers in samut prakan just for looking at them, that happens all over Thailand regularly, samut prakan is a violent city/province but there is worse 

Well, I haven't encountered any confrontational violence yet, at least where I live in. I'm just saying that our Province is in the criminal news quote often lately....

4 hours ago, MaxLee said:

Well, I haven't encountered any confrontational violence yet, at least where I live in. I'm just saying that our Province is in the criminal news quote often lately....

yes, i know but it is not lately, samut prakan of all years i have been reading thai news (in thai) samut prakan is often in shootings and stabbings, majority of crimes and violent crimes dont get published to english news

Archived