Jump to content
BANGKOK 18 August 2019 05:31
HaoleBoy

Retirement Visas and Identity theft

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

With all the financial and personal paperwork required for a Retirement Visa, "Non-Immigrant O Visa", is anyone worried about Identity Theft?
Do we all think that the Thai Immigration Dept handles all this paperwork securely?  I'm talking about the beginning phase where you must get a 90-day Visa to start, all the way through to extending an existing Retirement Visa each year.

  • immigration officers coming out to your residence and taking pictures of your bank passbook along with your country passport
  • all the paperwork handled down at the Immigration Dept

 

I don't at all and wonder when we will start seeing some of this personal data sold for nefarious purposes.  What recourse will we have at that point?

 

I've been hacked back home twice now and all they culprits needed was an old check (where we used to have SSN, phone and address printed).  Yes most of us have gone paperless now, but you best get rid of all old paperwork securely.  I'm not sure what it would take here in Thailand to be able to acquire a new debit / credit card linked to "your" bank account.

 

Edited by HaoleBoy
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

 

 

All this previous data did not include your bank passport number, and it was still leaked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, HaoleBoy said:

What recourse will we have at that point?

As passports have a 'Property of the Govt' clause it would be interesting to see if complaining under GDPR actually works, given they (the Govt, as owners) have technically lost the data.   

Tongue-in-cheek perhaps, but would give the Sir Humphries something to flap about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any recent cases of a retired farang in Thailand getting shafted? No, didn't think so. 

I find it hard to imagine that George Thompson, retired ex postmaster second class from Newcastle is now the subject of an Interpol investigation concerning multi billion drug and human trafficking charges.

When tracked down by the  TVF news team sleuths. George replied geet lush until presented with the allegations then muttered .ayup our kid wadafukyouonnabout. Promptly had a heart attack and fell of his bar stool. TVF news team reported this as yet  another case of falling from heights in Pattaya and it was speculated that his wife/gf/ladyboy friend may be complicit as she/she/it was nowhere in the area so obviously had run away up country. Case closed.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

I don't at all and wonder when we will start seeing some of this personal data sold for nefarious purposes.  What recourse will we have at that point?

Recently a lot of local expats had been receiving telephone calls from a new 'Visa agency' springing out of the woodwork, pertaining to get extensions from either Khon Kaen, Roi Et, or Ubon, with no financials required.

Ultimately I also received the same call, the agent knowing my name and the Province I was located in.

Puzzled, I asked where they obtained this information.

Khon Kaen Regional Immigration office!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget your identity and privacy, you are in Thailand now !

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

Do we all think that the Thai Immigration Dept handles all this paperwork securely?

Yes, they put it in a nice pile on their desk.

 

Sorry OP, what is your point? Some of think yes, some think no, will you sleep better when you see the answers? And do you really think that "going paperless" is a safer option?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thai Immigration frequently recycle paper with private data on the other side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, plfomylo said:

Forget your identity and privacy, you are in Thailand now !

 

Forget those things if you live on planet earth now,

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 8:52 AM, HaoleBoy said:

I'm not sure what it would take here in Thailand to be able to acquire a new debit / credit card linked to "your" bank account.

 

Passport and bankbook at the bank branch where you opened the account. if not then it would be the banks responsibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 10:45 PM, Tanoshi said:

Recently a lot of local expats had been receiving telephone calls from a new 'Visa agency' springing out of the woodwork, pertaining to get extensions from either Khon Kaen, Roi Et, or Ubon, with no financials required.

Ultimately I also received the same call, the agent knowing my name and the Province I was located in.

Puzzled, I asked where they obtained this information.

Khon Kaen Regional Immigration office!

Did you report it ?? i would have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...