Man charged with attempted murder after foreign tourist stabbed in neck in Phuket

webfact

Man charged with attempted murder after foreign tourist stabbed in neck in Phuket

2pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported further details after an Egyptian was slashed in the neck by a roti seller who thought that the tourist was having a go at his wife. 

Surachai grabbed a big knife when he heard the words "F*CK YOU" uttered by the tourist. 

Without asking questions he went for the jugular - fortunately he missed but there was still a 7 centimeter gash. 

Mahmoud Abbas, 30, is recovering in Bangkok Phuket hospital after the attack at the end of last week. 

Chalong police have been investigating and have witnesses who said that the tourists (there were two not three as previously reported) were actually talking about some Thai boxing they had been to see. 

The comments were just idle chatter between friends and not a slur on the character of Surachai's wife. It was all a misunderstanding.

Surachai has been charged with attempted murder.

Investigations continue with police talking to the friend of the victim who also appears to have been hurt.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-23

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

The comments were just idle chatter between friends and not a slur on the character of Surachai's wife. It was all a misunderstanding.

I did comment at the time over whether the Roti guy had truly understood what was being said and in what context.

So, he has ruined his and his family's lives over a comment about boxing. Way to go dude!

6 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I did comment at the time over whether the Roti guy had truly understood what was being said and in what context.

So, he has ruined his and his family's lives over a comment about boxing. Way to go dude!

A lot of these guys (and girls) are hopped up, looking for trouble and on a hair trigger.

If it hadn't been this, it would have been something else.

49 minutes ago, webfact said:

Surachai grabbed a big knife when he heard the words "<deleted> YOU" uttered by the tourist

in all seriousness, don't ever say the F word because Thais only think of it in one context.  

I had to explain every usage of the F word to my girlfriend and why it is not always a horrible insult.

8 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

in all seriousness, don't ever say the F word because Thais only think of it in one context.  

I had to explain every usage of the F word to my girlfriend and why it is not always a horrible insult.

The thing is that every time I deal with Thais I walk away mumbling "F...wits, F...wits..". They don't seem to understand that one. Maybe my French accent.

Buy a ticket to holiday in Thailand and hope that an immigration officer doesn't believe or misunderstand your reasons to enter the place. Then if that goes well, hope that some xenophobic nut case doesn't misunderstand what your and your friend is talking about then want to kill you.

But hopefully the rising prices and shrinking value of the currency you converted will be offset by a decent vacation you can scratch off your bucket list, knowing that although you didn't get to see Thailand when it really was a great place to visit, at least you saw the place. 

24 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I read (heard?) that the word is an acronym... For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge. Say those four words in the heat of passion, and maybe, just maybe, if will relax and calm the soul.

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm guessing his punishment for stabbing an Egyptian will be less then the white guy who beat the dog.

The guy who did the dog performed a premeditated crime, as opposed the other bloke that performed his crime in the heat of the moment. Still, you are correct... we will see which spends more time in the custody of the judicial system.

P.S. Animal cruelty is the USA is a big deal; some folks are sentenced for a long, long time.

1 hour ago, KiChakayan said:

The thing is that every time I deal with Thais I walk away mumbling "F...wits, F...wits..". They don't seem to understand that one. Maybe my French accent.

Have you ever considered it might be you that do not understand? That question based on that you refer to every time.

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I always say that I don't give an act of aerial intercourse.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Knew this was coming, Friendly World Class Resort...!!!

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

There goes my future English language student. This sucks!

should make a national NIDA poll:

Will Surachai learn from this incident and apply what he learned to his future behavior?

a) nope

b) nittn bit

c) he is a changed man (for about 5 min)

d) what was the question again?

f) yes he will, go fund him.

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I assume you had to provide practical experience of every example also.

And probably had to repeat the same example a few times until it finally sunk in.

9 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

And as you leave they probably call you Sir!

With a falling tone.

Rooster

I am confused, not unusual for me I know...but has the person attacked or his wife confirmed he used the F word...or are we just accepting the version of a (possibly agro unballanced) roti seller or even worse our normally (not) reliable 'reporters'...

Phuket’s roti knife attack victim identified as Ambassador’s son

By The Thaiger

67406726_1200392673475638_37512779129642

PHOTO: เสียงประชาชน คนภูเก็ต Phuket People’s Voice

The Egyptian tourist slashed by a roti seller in Chalong’s Soi Ta-iad over the weekend, has been identified as the son of the Egyptian Ambassador in Uruguay.

The incident occurred on July 19, when a man from Koh Lanta, 32 year old Surachai Raksap, attacked an Egyptian man with a knife in front of a Family Mart in Soi Ta-iad, the ‘mauy thai’ street, in Chalong, Phuket. He said he was angry at the tourist for using the ‘F’ word too many times while buying roti from him and his wife.

He told police he thought that the man was swearing at his wife. The Egyptian man ended up getting slashed by a machete on his neck but luckily survived the assault following surgery in hospital.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/phukets-roti-knife-attacker-identified-as-ambassadors-son-1

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-07-25

Archived