Bank account

tabarin

Can anyone recommend me branches in Chiang Mai that recently were not too difficult about opening a Savings account?
I am on a non-o visa based on a child, didn't do the residence certificate yet as I need this for something else too (or would a copy do?)

Purpose of opening is for depositing the monthly required income and get the yearly extension done in 3 months.
I currently only have BKK accounts and would like a local one here, also due to fees and it being clean of history, could do a 100K cash deposit if that helps.

I'll buy a coffee or beer for the one that saves me time going to 10 branches. If possible Bangkokbank or Kasikornbank.

I have heard of good reports of Bangkok Bank ,Kad Suan Kaew shopping mall,

21, Huay Kaew Road | Suthep, Chiang Mai 50200, and I just opened another

account at BB at Meechok Plaza,good luck.

regards worgeordie

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

That is the one I read about recently too and had in mind, thanks for confirming. If it works, send me your promptpay for a coffee ????

for anyone opening a bank account in Thailand don't forget to shave and to dress nicely. no sandals or shorts or tee shirts. like a important business meeting.

and say this "i need to deposit one million baht into a new saving account. can you help me?"

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

for anyone opening a bank account in Thailand don't forget to shave and to dress nicely. no sandals or shorts or tee shirts. like a important business meeting.

and say this "i need to deposit one million baht into a new saving account. can you help me?"

Too bad, I just ironed my favourite Chang shirt.

The kasikorn on Chiang Klan is my branch, they are very farang friendly and open accounts in 10minutes.

Always empty, no queing over 2 minutes ever.

I think the staff are bored thats why they do anything, 

If you have an active BK Bank account  should be no problem opening a new one here... I would suggest Airport Plaza as it is close to Immigration - KSK is farang friendly but I would not bank on anything inside KSK staying open long term...

I've found the SCB & BKK banks at the Mae Hia Big C to be convenient, giving good service....

That BKK bank branch is not large & sometimes queuing takes awhile (25%).....The SCB is larger and quicker....

Service is good at both....

23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

thats exactly what i plan to do today at krungsri bank ploenchit road branch bangkok they have new product for farangs staying at least more then 3 months in thailand up to 1.9 and 2.2 interest paid monthly

go check any krungsri  bank main office in chiang mai they have special condition for farangs = special saving acccount with interest paid and more for 1Million you can also open a foreing currency account  in $ with a atm card to withdraw thai baht from the $ account

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:47 PM, tabarin said:

currently only have BKK accounts and would like a local one here,

If that's a BKK Bank account shouldn't have a problem at any local BKK Bank branch.

Hardest part is opening the initial account anywhere.

I used the one at the bottom end of Soi 3 Loi Kroh Rd. Never had a problem opening another account.

On 7/23/2019 at 9:58 AM, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

I can second that.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:34 AM, sfokevin said:

If you have an active BK Bank account  should be no problem opening a new one here... I would suggest Airport Plaza as it is close to Immigration - KSK is farang friendly but I would not bank on anything inside KSK staying open long term...

Been with the BB in KSK for many years. Khun Sombat has helped many people I have recommended to go there.

I would suggest KSK is there to stay long term, quite a bit of money having been spent on upgrading it.The food court has been totally upgraded.Its so convenient for those living close by and Tops always seems busy ,a good indicator

On 7/23/2019 at 12:58 PM, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

I'd agree with this.  Used them for 6 years, and they were always helpful.  There is almost always an English speaking staff member on duty at the Kad Suan Kaew branch..

That krungsri branch at airport Plaza was excellent, but it was too difficult to open an account in bkk, and a friend was rejected for MTD account in HH with several million.  I have had good luck with cimb, but they almost always have to make calls, anytime I go into a branch, which is as little as possible. I wonder if any of the 5000 jobs lost in the TMB merger have reevaluated how they treat foreigners.. like I told them, it is quite unlikely for a long stay visa holder to have a WP, when EMPLOYMENT PROHIBITED is typed on the visa. 

On 7/23/2019 at 10:01 AM, tabarin said:

That is the one I read about recently too and had in mind, thanks for confirming. If it works, send me your promptpay for a coffee ????

I also recommend Bangkok Bank at Kad Suan Kaew for its well-mannered English speaking staff and it has the largest foreigner base in CM as far as I can tell. Many people have recommended that branch in the past.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:02 AM, NCC1701A said:

Does not matter.

Go to a farang-friendly branch of Bangkok Bank like KSK with your passport, one of the required documents and a shiny 500B note (plus a little more if you want a debit card) and you will get an account. They do not have a dress code.

While the residence cert is the easiest option for many, you can ask them about other options when there, there are a range of other things they may take, like proof of a property ownership, a long lease, a letter from your school if on an Ed visa, a reference from your home bank, a reference from a Thai known to the bank, etc.

You can get the residence cert while wearing sandals as well... in fact if you want it quick you need to pay an agent for it and so won't even be in front of immigration at all.

This is far more about box ticking than your choice of footwear or the length of your trousers. Tick the boxes and you'll get the account.

35810595_397259590783597_618444411527128

promoting bribery at banks isnt really helping anyone, and a number of them have no tipping signs..KSK is a good one for the semi-lame, but they used to stall wires, when interest rates were higher.  Even had my rep from fidelity on the phone live to make sure we did it correctly..she still screwed it up...The BBL manager at CM Gate wrote a letter so I could open a mutual fund..I had just met him..that is when it pays to look straight.  And 2.6250 rolled into 1.1250 at BBL, and then I wanted the posted prmo, and they tried to give me .125 less than the sign on her desk...went to the mall and got much, much better rates with cimb and have banked with them since, but keep the bbl accounts open.

Maybe some people should read before replying, this topic is long and wide answered already.
It is not about wether you can or not, neither how. It was only about where and that is figured out + done.

Any other situation, you can go to any bank, with the right papers.

Archived