Cheap Car? Suggestions?

RAZZELL

About 6 months ago I started a thread about buying a decent car for maybe up to 2m baht.

As we have now come to realise, for the foreseeable future we would rarely need a car.

We stay in a condo in the centre of Bangkok during the working week and a few times a month on my wife's days off we go to her house in the suburbs by Suvarnabhumi.

It seems a massive waste of money to have a nice car just sitting there doing nothing.

So, in a month or two we want to buy a cheap run-around.

It would mainly be used for popping to the shops by our house or maybe travelling from our house to the condo. Perhaps the odd longer drive to Chonburi, Hua Hin, Pattaya etc.

What do you guys suggest in the 400k-1m range?

I see Honda Jazz for around the 400k mark and Altis - both around 4 years old.

Maybe a 600k for a Pajero Sport? (Too big for the wife to drive?)

Maybe 800k for Civic?

I appreciate this is a very open ended question, but just want some opinions/suggestions.

I know the Jazz is a very decent cheap driver, but I'm worried about the safety aspect. My wife is not the best driver and hasn't driven for years in Bangkok.

But she will have to start as occasionally she might need to drive in her job. She likes "higher up" cars (I used to have a Discovery in the UK)

I see you can get a Subaru XV for about 600k (reliability? servicing?)

Maybe it's CRV or HRV time...(middle age has hit me! ????)

Thoughts much appreciated :wai:

RAZZ

Think that is a question only you can answer. We had a 4x4 truck and a weee Suzuki saloon, I was having so much fun in the Suzuki I sold the 4x4. Plus like you we do not travel much, it was money down the drain...

17 minutes ago, Topcroc said:

Honda City. Good buys around 350-400K Baht mark with low Klm.

Ours has done 150K Klm no problems at all other than normal eg. battery Tires

etc.

Yes, I don't think you can't go wrong with a Honda, Toyota or Mazda.

Cheap servicing and parts. 

If we bought at a decent price it would cost next to nothing to keep a car for a year or so and then we could re-assess the situation.

RAZZ

Try the Suzuki ciaz and Toyota Yaris. We have a swift but the ciaz is similar in size to the city. These are good cars for the city and ok for longer drives to Pattaya or Hua Hin. The ciaz is quite cheap second hand. 300 to 400 k

I would go for the City (that's what I'm planning after we've moved to another province). Many of the other smaller/cheaper cars get butchered models in Thailand for some reason, and get bumped down to 1.2 or 1.3 liter engines, which is a bit small.

The City, however, retains it's 1.5 liter engine. You could also go for the more expensive version of the Mazda 2, which also has a 1.5 liter.

There are of course many other aspects to consider other than the engine, but after having compared them, I've reached the conclusion that the City is one of the best choices in this segment. It's got decent trunk space and also fairly good back seats.

7 minutes ago, Myran said:

I would go for the City (that's what I'm planning after we've moved to another province). Many of the other smaller/cheaper cars get butchered models in Thailand for some reason, and get bumped down to 1.2 or 1.3 liter engines, which is a bit small.

The City, however, retains it's 1.5 liter engine. You could also go for the more expensive version of the Mazda 2, which also has a 1.5 liter.

There are of course many other aspects to consider other than the engine, but after having compared them, I've reached the conclusion that the City is one of the best choices in this segment. It's got decent trunk space and also fairly good back seats.

A new city is on the horizon, so would hold off until that arrives. I have been told September. I think there won't be much difference driving a 1.5 vs 1.2 in Bangkok in terms of performance, but the 1.2 will give better fuel economy. The 1.5 would be better if more high speed long distance driving is involved. 

2 minutes ago, DavisH said:

A new city is on the horizon, so would hold off until that arrives. I have been told September. I think there won't be much difference driving a 1.5 vs 1.2 in Bangkok in terms of performance, but the 1.2 will give better fuel economy. The 1.5 would be better if more high speed long distance driving is involved. 

Good to know, cheers. Yeah, if you're only gonna do city driving then it won't be much different. Wouldn't want a 1.2 on longer trips, though, as you point out.

Buying new, the Toyota and Honda makes more sense, but for a late-model used car, buying something that does not have high resale value might give you more bang for your buck, particularly if you’re going to dump it in a year or two.

How’s the parking at the condo? Will it be easy to get in and out of with a big car?

3 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I just bought a runaround for 120k (Mazda 2) but if I was gonna spend a bit more, I'd be tempted by the Subaru XV.. A few advertised in the 6-700k bracket...

I have seen a few of these driving around and like the look of them, but the reviews aren't so good?

RAZZ

21 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Buying new, the Toyota and Honda makes more sense, but for a late-model used car, buying something that does not have high resale value might give you more bang for your buck, particularly if you’re going to dump it in a year or two.

How’s the parking at the condo? Will it be easy to get in and out of with a big car?

Parking is fine and there are plenty of areas for the Mrs to park a bigger car without bashing it (I hope!)

RAZZ

1 minute ago, RAZZELL said:

I have seen a few of these driving around and like the look of them, but the reviews aren't so good?

RAZZ

Service charges are higher, resale not as good as competitors. Fewer service centers. If buying an xv, go for the new model, not the previous one. I love the new Suzuki Jimmy but not at 1.6m baht.

5 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

RAZZ

Just the ride height makes it worth considering. Does it flood where you live?

3 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

we want to buy a cheap run-around.

3 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

Jeez, current rate of exchange a "cheap" runabout is 10-25k English?

My Dad recently sold his cheap runabout in the UK, an old Vauxhall somethingorother, perfect condition, for 750 Nicker or 35k TB in real money....

Replaced it with a mint 10 y/o Mini for 2.5k GBP or 100k TB.

Now, THEY are cheap runabouts.

Over here i would consider a cheap runabout a 90k Toyota Civic with a quarter of a million miles on it.

1 minute ago, DavisH said:

Get a small car then. I hate driving the swift and then have to drive through flooded roads. Got wet carpet in my honda civic once. Not fun.

The Suzuki swift is also worth a look, albeit smaller than the ciaz. Top spec has 6 airbags, 4 wheel discs and it's now less than 900kg. Mine is 975 kg. So it should be quite nippy around town.

8 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Jeez, current rate of exchange a "cheap" runabout is 10-25k English?

My Dad recently sold his cheap runabout in the UK, an old Vauxhall somethingorother, perfect condition, for 750 Nicker or 35k TB in real money....

Replaced it with a mint 10 y/o Mini for 2.5k GBP or 100k TB.

Now, THEY are cheap runabouts.

Over here i would consider a cheap runabout a 90k Toyota Civic with a quarter of a million miles on it.

I know - VERY PAINFUL - 1m baht is around £26k.

1.7m baht is around £45k. I could buy an extremely decent used Mercedes or Porsche for that in the UK!

(But fortunately we are here in Bangkok ????)

RAZZ

I also think used cars are best option, can be very cheap but Thai people aren't known for looking after their cars

Some say go toyota, honda and can't be wrong, not entirely true, my 2 toyotas(60k THB Rolla, 350K THB Celi GT4) always left me stranded in nowhere, more than 10 fails a year. Only now through 2 yrs of intense repair and fabrication(sometime they both on jackstands for months left no car to drive) they can be considered somehow reliable, but more parts going to worn out soon.

Thai people are pretty good at painting. Rotted car can be painted mint for relatively low cost. I imagine if can find a honest seller allows removing all trims and throughly inspect chassis before payment, that's good deal

48 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

I know - VERY PAINFUL - 1m baht is around £26k.

1.7m baht is around £45k. I could buy an extremely decent used Mercedes or Porsche for that in the UK!

(But fortunately we are here in Bangkok ????)

RAZZ

I know you mentioned that your wife likes to be higher up in a car, but I’ll throw my 2 cents in anyways.

If you like Porsches, I would highly recommend checking out one of the older (early 90s) Mazda MX5 Miatas without power steering.  The ones I have seen for sale are usually in excellent condition...probably because Thais generally don’t want to drive a convertible.  I rented one for a weekend back in 1993 or 1994 and have to say that it had a similar feeling as my ‘88 3.2 Carrera (not so much like my ‘96 993 Carrera) A real “feel it in the seat of your pants” feeling.

I know that my recommendation goes against most (if not all) common sense considerations when buying a car, but I’m not kidding...those cars are fun as hell to drive.

https://www.one2car.com/en/for-sale/mazda-mx-5-bangkok-metropolitan-nonthaburi-rattanathibet/4939327

48 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I know you mentioned that your wife likes to be higher up in a car, but I’ll throw my 2 cents in anyways.

If you like Porsches, I would highly recommend checking out one of the older (early 90s) Mazda MX5 Miatas without power steering.  The ones I have seen for sale are usually in excellent condition...probably because Thais generally don’t want to drive a convertible.  I rented one for a weekend back in 1993 or 1994 and have to say that it had a similar feeling as my ‘88 3.2 Carrera (not so much like my ‘96 993 Carrera) A real “feel it in the seat of your pants” feeling.

I know that my recommendation goes against most (if not all) common sense considerations when buying a car, but I’m not kidding...those cars are fun as hell to drive.

https://www.one2car.com/en/for-sale/mazda-mx-5-bangkok-metropolitan-nonthaburi-rattanathibet/4939327

690k! ????

That car is about 40k in the UK ????

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?advertising-location=at_cars&search-target=usedcars&is-quick-search=TRUE&postcode=CR2+0AQ&radius=&make=MAZDA&model=MX-5&price-search-type=total-price&min-monthly-price=&max-monthly-price=&price-from=&price-to=&search-used-vehicles=

I remember 2O years ago when the £ was worth something and mates importing the Eunos version from Japan and whizzing around in a few.

BTW - the last few cars I drove in the UK - Mercedes C class 250 AMG Sport estate and a BMW 330D estate. Shame you can't get them here for sensible money.

RAZZ

45 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Early Miata NA, NB price are ridiculous here, many asking more than 600k THB same applies to all verts/cool cars

Also for cars this old, rust became inevitable, 3 yrs ago one my UK friend bought a 87 3.2 Carrera, enjoyed only for one year, then one day engine died on him. Now he already cut & fabricated entire floor, engine bay, doors etc, and that car still nowhere near drivable, yet. ????

2 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

690k! ????

That car is about 40k in the UK ????

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?advertising-location=at_cars&search-target=usedcars&is-quick-search=TRUE&postcode=CR2+0AQ&radius=&make=MAZDA&model=MX-5&price-search-type=total-price&min-monthly-price=&max-monthly-price=&price-from=&price-to=&search-used-vehicles=

I remember 2O years ago when the £ was worth something and mates importing the Eunos version from Japan and whizzing around in a few.

BTW - the last few cars I drove in the UK - Mercedes C class 250 AMG Sport estate and a BMW 330D estate. Shame you can't get them here for sensible money.

RAZZ

Wow.  Amazing that the Miatas are so cheap in the UK.  I used to lust after the Euro spec 993 RS on a website out of the UK when it could be had for less than a BMW 3 series here in Thailand.  I had a 323is in between Porsches and not sure I would pay the premium here in Thailand over a Honda.

WRT parts prices...I was an insurance adjuster in the 90s and for some inexplicable reason, Mazda parts (headlights grille etc) were probably 3x the price of all the other Japanese cars.  Didn’t make sense.  Can’t say if that is true today or how much it carries over to engine (and other mechanical) parts, but I would definitely check that out.

I’m actually surprised when expats talk about buying cars when living in Bangkok.  I couldn’t imagine the headache I would have here...even if just driving one BTS stop away. For myself...as much as I’m a car nut...I think I’m better off renting something nice for an occasional road trip and never having to think about insurance, registration, oil changes, repairs, parking etc etc etc. that comes with ownership.  

2 hours ago, Coremouse said:

Early Miata NA, NB price are ridiculous here, many asking more than 600k THB same applies to all verts/cool cars

Also for cars this old, rust became inevitable, 3 yrs ago one my UK friend bought a 87 3.2 Carrera, enjoyed only for one year, then one day engine died on him. Now he already cut & fabricated entire floor, engine bay, doors etc, and that car still nowhere near drivable, yet. ????

It’s amazing how skewed my perception has become with regards to car values after living here for 8 years.  You are so right...anything that has an ounce of “coolness” is overpriced.

Sorry to hear about your friends 87.  I sold my 88 to a friend who spun out and basically totaled the thing while driving through the mountains in Colorado.  It’s probably still in the shop getting repaired...but he’s a Porsche mechanic/collector so he couldn’t let a sunroof delete example go to the graveyard.

Mitsubishi Evo 7s and 8s are quite cheap (In fact saw one modded to 780 bhp for sale for under 800k recently)

A complete animal on twisty bumpy roads - had 2 highly modified ones in england, loved them.

Even a cheaper car spending most of its time just being parked is also a massive waste of money.

You live in Bangkok. You rarely need a car - and when you do need one you can rent. Or let someone else drive you.

Think of the sweet delivery from any kind of vehicular responsibilities like cleaning, checking, fixing, servicing, parking, etc

I live in a city - well, on the outskirts - and I sold my car a few months ago after being a car owner for 30+ years. It has been great:)

So, in a month or two we want to buy a cheap run-around.

It would mainly be used for popping to the shops by our house or maybe travelling from our house to the condo. Perhaps the odd longer drive to Chonburi, Hua Hin, Pattaya etc.

I see Honda Jazz for around the 400k mark and Altis - both around 4 years old.

I don’t think you can do wrong with a Jazz to be honest, small enough for easy parking yet a decent size interior and a very good carrying capacity in the back.

As luck would have it ???? I’m selling my 2 1/2 year old Jazz as I fancy a change [emoji51]

Archived