BANGKOK
RAZZELL

Cheap Car? Suggestions?

About 6 months ago I started a thread about buying a decent car for maybe up to 2m baht.

As we have now come to realise, for the foreseeable future we would rarely need a car.

We stay in a condo in the centre of Bangkok during the working week and a few times a month on my wife's days off we go to her house in the suburbs by Suvarnabhumi.

It seems a massive waste of money to have a nice car just sitting there doing nothing.

So, in a month or two we want to buy a cheap run-around.

It would mainly be used for popping to the shops by our house or maybe travelling from our house to the condo. Perhaps the odd longer drive to Chonburi, Hua Hin, Pattaya etc.

What do you guys suggest in the 400k-1m range?

I see Honda Jazz for around the 400k mark and Altis - both around 4 years old.

Maybe a 600k for a Pajero Sport? (Too big for the wife to drive?)

Maybe 800k for Civic?

I appreciate this is a very open ended question, but just want some opinions/suggestions.

I know the Jazz is a very decent cheap driver, but I'm worried about the safety aspect. My wife is not the best driver and hasn't driven for years in Bangkok.

But she will have to start as occasionally she might need to drive in her job. She likes "higher up" cars (I used to have a Discovery in the UK)

I see you can get a Subaru XV for about 600k (reliability? servicing?)

Maybe it's CRV or HRV time...(middle age has hit me! 😥)

Thoughts much appreciated :wai:

RAZZ

Honda City. Good buys around 350-400K Baht mark with low Klm.

Ours has done 150K Klm no problems at all other than normal eg. battery Tires

etc.

• Like 2

Think that is a question only you can answer. We had a 4x4 truck and a weee Suzuki saloon, I was having so much fun in the Suzuki I sold the 4x4. Plus like you we do not travel much, it was money down the drain...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Topcroc said:

Honda City. Good buys around 350-400K Baht mark with low Klm.

Ours has done 150K Klm no problems at all other than normal eg. battery Tires

etc.

Yes, I don't think you can't go wrong with a Honda, Toyota or Mazda.

Cheap servicing and parts. 

If we bought at a decent price it would cost next to nothing to keep a car for a year or so and then we could re-assess the situation.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Try the Suzuki ciaz and Toyota Yaris. We have a swift but the ciaz is similar in size to the city. These are good cars for the city and ok for longer drives to Pattaya or Hua Hin. The ciaz is quite cheap second hand. 300 to 400 k

• Like 1

I would go for the City (that's what I'm planning after we've moved to another province). Many of the other smaller/cheaper cars get butchered models in Thailand for some reason, and get bumped down to 1.2 or 1.3 liter engines, which is a bit small.

The City, however, retains it's 1.5 liter engine. You could also go for the more expensive version of the Mazda 2, which also has a 1.5 liter.

There are of course many other aspects to consider other than the engine, but after having compared them, I've reached the conclusion that the City is one of the best choices in this segment. It's got decent trunk space and also fairly good back seats.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Myran said:

I would go for the City (that's what I'm planning after we've moved to another province). Many of the other smaller/cheaper cars get butchered models in Thailand for some reason, and get bumped down to 1.2 or 1.3 liter engines, which is a bit small.

The City, however, retains it's 1.5 liter engine. You could also go for the more expensive version of the Mazda 2, which also has a 1.5 liter.

There are of course many other aspects to consider other than the engine, but after having compared them, I've reached the conclusion that the City is one of the best choices in this segment. It's got decent trunk space and also fairly good back seats.

A new city is on the horizon, so would hold off until that arrives. I have been told September. I think there won't be much difference driving a 1.5 vs 1.2 in Bangkok in terms of performance, but the 1.2 will give better fuel economy. The 1.5 would be better if more high speed long distance driving is involved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DavisH said:

A new city is on the horizon, so would hold off until that arrives. I have been told September. I think there won't be much difference driving a 1.5 vs 1.2 in Bangkok in terms of performance, but the 1.2 will give better fuel economy. The 1.5 would be better if more high speed long distance driving is involved. 

Good to know, cheers. Yeah, if you're only gonna do city driving then it won't be much different. Wouldn't want a 1.2 on longer trips, though, as you point out.

Buying new, the Toyota and Honda makes more sense, but for a late-model used car, buying something that does not have high resale value might give you more bang for your buck, particularly if you’re going to dump it in a year or two.

How’s the parking at the condo? Will it be easy to get in and out of with a big car?

• Like 1

I just bought a runaround for 120k (Mazda 2) but if I was gonna spend a bit more, I'd be tempted by the Subaru XV.. A few advertised in the 6-700k bracket...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I just bought a runaround for 120k (Mazda 2) but if I was gonna spend a bit more, I'd be tempted by the Subaru XV.. A few advertised in the 6-700k bracket...

I have seen a few of these driving around and like the look of them, but the reviews aren't so good?

RAZZ

21 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Buying new, the Toyota and Honda makes more sense, but for a late-model used car, buying something that does not have high resale value might give you more bang for your buck, particularly if you’re going to dump it in a year or two.

How’s the parking at the condo? Will it be easy to get in and out of with a big car?

Parking is fine and there are plenty of areas for the Mrs to park a bigger car without bashing it (I hope!)

RAZZ

1 minute ago, RAZZELL said:

I have seen a few of these driving around and like the look of them, but the reviews aren't so good?

RAZZ

Service charges are higher, resale not as good as competitors. Fewer service centers. If buying an xv, go for the new model, not the previous one. I love the new Suzuki Jimmy but not at 1.6m baht.

5 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

RAZZ

Just the ride height makes it worth considering. Does it flood where you live?

4 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Just the ride height makes it worth considering. Does it flood where you live?

Nope.

RAZZ